Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

No Fly Zone for End Users

Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more angry I get. I feel like Yuneec is misrepresenting their product. How is it possible that they are able to restrict the use of a consumer product? We wouldn't buy a car that was restricted to the speed limit; we wouldn't buy an airplane that could only fly in certain areas, we wouldn't buy a home theater receiver that wouldn't exceed a certain volume, and the list goes on and on.

The responsibility of the use of a product is ALWAYS in the hands of the end user. If I bought a plane from Cessna, and then flew it into restricted airspace, I couldn't turn around and sue Cessna because they didn't set up a geofence. If someone buys a Yuneec product and then does something stupid with it, LE isn't going to go after Yuneec, they are going to prosecute the end user.

I understand that Yuneec wants to be responsible, but we all can't get FAA 333 exemptions to be able to get the necessary firmware to remove the no fly zone restriction. If I called the ATC tower an they said 'Yeah no problem," why isn't that good enough?

This is probably pushing people away from Yuneec products and towards the "other guys." I'm sick of having to fly my P3 at the local park because my Q500 refuses to spin the props. If I had known about this, I wouldn't have bought the Q500. I'm surprised there isn't a class action lawsuit against Yuneec. There probably will be eventually.

Reactions: Jflash
Most all makers of this class of UAV are doing this. It will be in all future makes. DJI has had it along with 3DR for some time. DJI just made there NFZ's self-certifying if you opt out of it by signing off on it. It is the future unfortunately. With a growing, developing product like UAV's it is inevitable that these rules would come into play. To many people with more money than brains as I like to say.

The more I think about this, the more angry I get. I feel like Yuneec is misrepresenting their product. How is it possible that they are able to restrict the use of a consumer product? We wouldn't buy a car that was restricted to the speed limit; we wouldn't buy an airplane that could only fly in certain areas, we wouldn't buy a home theater receiver that wouldn't exceed a certain volume, and the list goes on and on.

The responsibility of the use of a product is ALWAYS in the hands of the end user. If I bought a plane from Cessna, and then flew it into restricted airspace, I couldn't turn around and sue Cessna because they didn't set up a geofence. If someone buys a Yuneec product and then does something stupid with it, LE isn't going to go after Yuneec, they are going to prosecute the end user.

I understand that Yuneec wants to be responsible, but we all can't get FAA 333 exemptions to be able to get the necessary firmware to remove the no fly zone restriction. If I called the ATC tower an they said 'Yeah no problem," why isn't that good enough?

This is probably pushing people away from Yuneec products and towards the "other guys." I'm sick of having to fly my P3 at the local park because my Q500 refuses to spin the props. If I had known about this, I wouldn't have bought the Q500. I'm surprised there isn't a class action lawsuit against Yuneec. There probably will be eventually.
I agree. I put a deposit on a new typhoon H, but will probably cancel because of this. They need to make it simple for a customer/ owner to opt out. Maybe have a pop up warning that can be just clicked off, like a GPS that says don't program while driving. If DJI has an easy out, I will unfortunately have to go with them. It's not that I plan on doing anything stupid, just want to make my own decisions.

Reactions: John Harnden
I agree. I put a deposit on a new typhoon H, but will probably cancel because of this. They need to make it simple for a customer/ owner to opt out. Maybe have a pop up warning that can be just clicked off, like a GPS that says don't program while driving. If DJI has an easy out, I will unfortunately have to go with them. It's not that I plan on doing anything stupid, just want to make my own decisions.

IMO, Yuneec's approach to NFZ is benign in comparison and significantly less intrusive than DJI's. Current implementations of DJI's GEO system encompass a more extensive list of areas where limitations are in place. More importantly, from DJI's own FAQ:

"Are you going to turn over my information to the government?

In general, not unless there is a specific reason to. In the event of an aviation safety or law enforcement investigation that compels us to disclose information, our verification partner may provide information about the credit card or mobile phone number used to verify the DJI account that unlocked an Authorization Zone at the location, date, and time in question. This creates a path to accountability in the event of an incident without requiring burdensome up-front collection of personal information, and we feel strikes the right balance at this time. Our observation is that the vast, vast majority of aerial system operators are responsible community citizens who follow the rules as well as common sense, and therefore it is only necessary to create an accountability mechanism when the operation occurs in a location that raises an aviation safety or security concern. We think our customers deserve the benefit of the doubt, and an accountability system that is minimally invasive."

In the end, DJI's overzealous pursuit of of liability containment has resulted in what appears to be a self-incrimination system. As much as I like the quality of their offerings, these were the main reasons for me to abandon their ecosystem and pursue other alternatives.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcbutler
Yuneec guy is awfully quiet on this topic. At least give us the option to opt out. Let us take responsibilty. This is ridoculous.

Live in jax, florida. got the b4ufly app. apparently there isn't any where I can fly without hitting a zone( airport ,life flight, etc). any ideas? have not registered with faa yet either. bc

B4Ufly seems to be inaccurate and it is not the database that Yuneec uses. I believe that if you go to mapbox.com/drone/no-fly you will see the database used by Yuneec. That should give you a much better idea of what restrictions will be installed as the default NFZ.

Kind of weird. Last week that link showed a map, and today it redirects to the FAA site. Sorry about that.

It's all about sharing. Perhaps a better understanding of a NFZ would help. We are just as restricted in New Zealand, but, the rules set by our CAA (your FAA) allow you to "register" your flight through "Air Share". Don't want to over simplify the situation but if Air Traffic Control know about your mission and a pilot has the right experience your're usually good to go. Flying over/in parks and reserve currently just requires common sense, however you do need to register a flight if it's for commercial purposes - just need a smartphone to finalise the flight.
Hope that helps - airshare™

Yuneec just needs to give us the ability to opt out. Put the responsibility with the consumer. They are probably losing tens of thousands in sales because of this. Meanwhile, DJI is happily filling orders.

Reactions: KramerMD
Looks like the FAA link above now requires that you download an iOS or Android app to view the maps and data. I have 1 place I really want to fly, no need to get over 75 feet, but I only need to do it 1 time. Not worth the trouble.

All of the NFZ maps show me within the edge of one. I was concerned before ordering but I've had no problems flying.

I leave in Round Lake, Illinois right off the Campbell Airport and looking at this NFZ map, I noticed that all, of the hospital near me that has a Heli port are considered a NFZ, so it looks like I will be going out of town, to enjoy my hobby. That was not fair to us hobbyist. I guest we have to go to some remote area, like Utha, Las Vegas Wyoming, Montana or on the no mans land..

Has anyone found the actual NFZ map that Yuneec uses? the FAA b4ufly app is useless as it shows any FAA registered address as an airport. When looking at drone buddy or other resources its much more reasonable as it shows actual airports, I'd just like to know to what extent this NFZ restriction goes. I just bought a Q500 4k and didn't realize these restrictions were in play.

From the two lists that were leaked that I saw, the NFZ for the Yuneec firmware is only Major National and International airports and DOD airfields world wide. Regional airports, helipads and farmer runways were not on the list.

It as also been confirmed by several owners that it's a 3 mile radius, not 5 (FAA Reg-U-Lations say it has to be 5).

Suck it up buttercups, you should not be flying around large airports anyways, and be mindful or Helipads, around Hospitals - they get to ignore that 500' minimum altitude.

Likewise ours is a 400' ceiling AGL.

Never mind that you would be surprised if you dug into your own local city municipal code and find out how many have bans against RC aircraft flying - from a long time ago.

I live in the Denver Metro area, and of the 50 odd individual cities that make up the urban area, I have found 2, count them 2 that do not have bans against RC flying aircraft in their city parks - granted I only checked the 15 in my immediate vicinity because I wanted someplace close to go flying Legally.

These are not new city laws, these have been on the books for decades. So before you go slamming Yuneec for the NFZ firmware, you might just want to take a look at where local laws say you can and can not operate a RC aircraft.

Don't Fly Stupid!

Reactions: NRRTRAINS
I'd say that was a little aggressive. A lot of us are new and a little guidance is all most of us seek. bc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval