Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

No Fly Zones & Part 107

Reaction score
I've read through a few other threads which have indicated that the H (along with other UAVs from Yuneec and other manufacturers) are essentially paperweights if you live within 5 miles of an airport. I haven't seen any updates since the new Part 107 regulations have come out in the United States, so I thought I would bring the question up again since I'm interested in purchasing either an H or DJI product for commercial use.

Once certified under Part 107, it will be legal for me to operate in Class G airspace under 400 ft AGL, which includes the airspace surrounding most county and regional airports. However, since my house (and the majority of the city I live in) lies within 5 miles of the county airport, I worry that the H's firmware won't allow me to even start the engines in my own back yard to hover 5 ft off the ground.

Similarly, Part 107 will allow operations within Class B, C, D and E airspace with permission from the appropriate ATC agencies. If the current firmware still has a blanket lock out of all operations within 5 miles of any airport, it'll be completely useless as a commercial machine in the US. Even if the lockout is only around "major" or tower controlled airports, the usefulness is limited.

Can anyone clarify how the H currently works (or doesn't) near smaller, uncontrolled county or regional airports in the United States? Around tower controlled fields? If the H is still locked out, can someone from Yuneec chime in with their potential plans to accommodate commercial users?

They work fine around most smaller "Classed" airports. With a 107 as with the 333, you can request a waiver or "COA" with the FAA, you can also receive a waiver so to speak with Yuneec and others to give you a "code" to fly in certain restricted areas with "release of liability" Fly Safely my friend!;)

Reactions: Boredcontroller
They work fine around most smaller "Classed" airports. With a 107 as with the 333, you can request a waiver or "COA" with the FAA, you can also receive a waiver so to speak with Yuneec and others to give you a "code" to fly in certain restricted areas with "release of liability" Fly Safely my friend!;)
That's good to know. I live within a couple of miles from a small uncontrolled air park. So the H should be fine by this?

I've been complaining about this since I bought mine. If you call the tower and tell them you can fly on airport property if they give you permission. The problem is if the airport you're near is designated a no fly zone, yuneec decided to not even let the drone start up.

I've been complaining about this since I bought mine. If you call the tower and tell them you can fly on airport property if they give you permission. The problem is if the airport you're near is designated a no fly zone, yuneec decided to not even let the drone start up.
You can have that removed by Yuneec!

Reactions: Boredcontroller
I was on the phone with Yuneec a few days ago. Im told the filmware to override the NFZ isn't yet available. It's still awaiting approval or something. This waiver can be offered to anyone.

Ben,
Best thing is go to the local airport, ask to speak with the manager. Provide him/her a map of the area you may be flying in.
Can go a long way to prevent hassels in the future.

You can have that removed by Yuneec!

How? I've called 3 times now!

Yes Sir! as I also do and fly!

Glad to hear that's the case for the smaller, uncontrolled fields - thanks for that info DC!

I was on the phone with Yuneec a few days ago. Im told the filmware to override the NFZ isn't yet available. It's still awaiting approval or something. This waiver can be offered to anyone.
How? I've called 3 times now!

Ray and Bored - This is what I'm worried about for situations that will come up near larger airports. I have a Class C airport fairly close-by too, and it would be a shame to have to turn down work despite having the required permissions from ATC because I still can't start the motors. Heck, the airspace at most Class D fields only extends out 4 to 4.5 miles from the airport, so a 5 mile NFZ is outside area where ATC permission is even required under Part 107. Hopefully Yuneec will get rolling on the software needed to bypass the NFZs. It looks like I'll need to make a call to Yuneec and ask them the questions directly and find out what the status is.

Ben,
Best thing is go to the local airport, ask to speak with the manager. Provide him/her a map of the area you may be flying in.
Can go a long way to prevent hassels in the future.

Absolutely great advice, BobW. I'm actually a professional manned aircraft pilot, so I'm heavily connected with the local aviation community and it'll make those interactions much easier! I definitely plan to be in touch with ATC when necessary or even close to their airspace, and airport managers at uncontrolled fields when within 3 miles at altitudes above the treetop level. Even with the new freedoms afforded by Part 107 to commercial operations, there's a huge difference between what is legal and what is safe.

Reactions: DroneClone
I live 1 mile from kcrw a class Charlie airspace. It will not start up there. The st16 turns on and tells me I'm in a no fly zone and that's it. Paperweight mode.

I live 1 mile from kcrw a class Charlie airspace. It will not start up there. The st16 turns on and tells me I'm in a no fly zone and that's it. Paperweight mode.

Lots of beautiful terrain around Yeager Field. I've flown in and out of there many times - if you're a controller there, I've probably talked to you :) Anyways, hopefully the next firmware update will include some method for bypassing the NFZs for responsible operators and you can get the thing airbourne.

Lots of beautiful terrain around Yeager Field. I've flown in and out of there many times - if you're a controller there, I've probably talked to you :) Anyways, hopefully the next firmware update will include some method for bypassing the NFZs for responsible operators and you can get the thing airbourne.

Love that place, been working there for 5 years now. Went over to wv12 to fly my TH. Good friend and co-worker of mine had his pa28 based over there. Pm me your tail number and I'll take care of you lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz