Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Obstacle avoidance vs. real sense

Reaction score
What is the difference between obstacle avoidance and real sense? What capabilities does real sense give to the drone that it does not already have with just the factory obstacle avoidance?

The Obstacle Avoidance on the Typhoon is Sonar based. It will sense objects that are about an inch wide directly in front and stop without hitting them.

Realsense has a wide forward view. You just fly the Typhoon forward and it maps out the space in front of it and marks each object with GPS Coordinates. It stores the last 30 seconds worth of what it sees so that the pilot can move in any direction and not hit an object. The pilot does not have to avoid the object, the realsense will tell the Typhoon to go up, down, around the object. All the objects are placed in memory so that the pilot can then fly backwards, sideways, forward through a course. Realsense is kind of like a guide that lets you walk through a mine field and not get blown up. Watch the demos on YouTube from this past week.

Thanks, captain. So if I understand what you're saying, with just the obstacle avoidance the drone just basically stops and hovers, waiting for pilot input while real sense actually allows the drone to choose the best path and maneuver itself around the obstacle?

Thanks, captain. So if I understand what you're saying, with just the obstacle avoidance the drone just basically stops and hovers, waiting for pilot input while real sense actually allows the drone to choose the best path and maneuver itself around the obstacle?

Yes , but is there only me who thinks that what was 30 seconds ago behind you may have moved.

Right, Peter. I don't think I would count on real sense when I'm not going forward.

Correct!

Yes , but is there only me who thinks that what was 30 seconds ago behind you may have moved.
Hmmmm..... good point. But I can't think of anything that you'd fly your drone through that is moving other than blowing tree branches. Flying through animals, people, cars would be kind of asking for trouble.

That's what they said it first , if you needed to fly backwards, it would keep the camera pointing at the subject, but rotate the craft and use realsense again.
So always using realsense in the direction of flight.

Reactions: Mike Irish
The Obstacle Avoidance on the Typhoon is Sonar based. It will sense objects that are about an inch wide directly in front and stop without hitting them.

Realsense has a wide forward view. You just fly the Typhoon forward and it maps out the space in front of it and marks each object with GPS Coordinates. It stores the last 30 seconds worth of what it sees so that the pilot can move in any direction and not hit an object. The pilot does not have to avoid the object, the realsense will tell the Typhoon to go up, down, around the object. All the objects are placed in memory so that the pilot can then fly backwards, sideways, forward through a course. Realsense is kind of like a guide that lets you walk through a mine field and not get blown up. Watch the demos on YouTube from this past week.

Do you think Real Sense really uses GPS coordinates? Didn't they do the demo at CES on an indoor stage?

Do you think Real Sense really uses GPS coordinates? Didn't they do the demo at CES on an indoor stage?
Because it maps the land in front and records it, GPS must come into play.

As for the indoor show, well that was a bit fantasy with the 'H' covered in visibility sensors. But I guess that was what was required for an indoor demo.

Because it maps the land in front and records it, GPS must come into play.

As for the indoor show, well that was a bit fantasy with the 'H' covered in visibility sensors. But I guess that was what was required for an indoor demo.
That's too bad, The reason I was waiting for Real Sense was for indoor stage use, it already works well outdoors.

Not for the Typhoon H. The H Plus has a newer version, but the capabilities are the same. RealSense does have downward sensors of sonar and an optical flow sensor that come into play when Indoor Positioning Sensor (IPS) mode is active. It works for heights up to about 5 meters.

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval