Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

One thing after another

Reaction score
Not sure why I even bother anymore. 1 out of 3 times I take my Typhoon H out something malfunctions. I thought I fixed my sticky joystick problem, thanks to WTFDproject's help. I sprayed potentiometer with contact spray and turned on the controller 3 or 4 times since to see if the problem returned. All was fine until I took it out for a flight and now it's jacked up again.

But my new problem, and the reason for this post, is that now, every time I turn on the controller and the H I get a warning "obstacle avoidance failed" and the screen is frozen and I can't get the warning to go away without shutting down and restarting. Then the problem usually eventually returns. I'm also getting N/A on GPS and satellites.
Obstacle avoidance is set to off. switching it back and forth doesn't change anything.
Can anyone tell me how I might eliminate this problem? (These problems)?
Thank You
I just realized that I didn't mention that I was also unable to start the drone. Pushed the start button and nothing happened.
So, to summarize-
The joystick is stuck. Causing constant beeping.
Getting a constant "obstacle avoidance failed" message which freezes up my screen
controller reads volts 0, GPS N/A, and Sat N/A
hitting the red start button does NOTHING.

Sure glad I just bought those 2 new batteries!

Last edited:
Not sure why I even bother anymore. 1 out of 3 times I take my Typhoon H out something malfunctions. I thought I fixed my sticky joystick problem, thanks to WTFDproject's help. I sprayed potentiometer with contact spray and turned on the controller 3 or 4 times since to see if the problem returned. All was fine until I took it out for a flight and now it's jacked up again.

But my new problem, and the reason for this post, is that now, every time I turn on the controller and the H I get a warning "obstacle avoidance failed" and the screen is frozen and I can't get the warning to go away without shutting down and restarting. Then the problem usually eventually returns. I'm also getting N/A on GPS and satellites.
Obstacle avoidance is set to off. switching it back and forth doesn't change anything.
Can anyone tell me how I might eliminate this problem? (These problems)?
Thank You
I just realized that I didn't mention that I was also unable to start the drone. Pushed the start button and nothing happened.
So, to summarize-
The joystick is stuck. Causing constant beeping.
Getting a constant "obstacle avoidance failed" message which freezes up my screen
controller reads volts 0, GPS N/A, and Sat N/A
hitting the red start button does NOTHING.

Sure glad I just bought those 2 new batteries!

I'm just curious are you away from all electrical interferences ?
Are you launching from concrete with possible steel reinforcement bars in it ?
I would imagine you're not near a no-fly zone.
One last thing, try a location which is a big open field if you can.
Then pray.
KK

With 0 volts, gps and sat saying N/A, sounds like a binding issue.

Are you sure the controller and H are bound together?

Things to try if you haven’t already, one at a time to see if conditions change:

Re-bind
Create a new model and bind to it.

Power down everything. Power up controller only. Note all informational displays. Power up H.

Does it bind? Do any values on the controller change?

By the way, any word from the camera? They are separate bindings so, could help in troubleshooting if camera seems ok and controllable.

Good luck!

Jeff

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
I HAVE THE H PRO, AND IT WILL NOT START THE MOTORS UNTIL I HAVE AT LEAST 9 SATELLITES CONNECTED TO THE AIRCRAFT. I ALSO WORK ON SOUND BOARDS. WHEN I HAVE A KNOB OR A FADER THAT SOUNDS CRUNCHY THROUGH THE SPEAKERS, OR NO SOUND AT ALL. I DO THE CONTACT CLEANER TO REMEDY THE PROBLEM. BUT IT USUALLY IS A TEMPORARY FIX. EVENTUALLY I HAVE TO CHANGE THE KNOB OR THE FADER TO PERMANENTLY FIX THE PROBLEM. AND THAT IS A P.I.T.A.
I WAS ALSO HAVING A PROBLEM WITH ACQUIRING SATELLITES. IT WOULD TAKE FOR EVER OR DROP OUT IN FLIGHTS. I PURCHASED A KIT TO RAISE THE GPS BOARD TO PLACE IT EXTERNALLY OF THE CRAFT. IT HAS SEEMED TO HAVE SOLVED THAT PROBLEM AS WELL.. BUT IF YOU HAVE A BAD GPS BOARD. THE RELOCATION WONT SOLVE THE PROBLEM..
NOW I AM NOWHERE NEAR AS EXPERIENCED AS MOST THE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE. BUT THIS IS JUST SOME OF THE THINGS I HAVE LEARNED THE HARD WAY AFTER MY FIRST CRASH.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
I feel your pain, it seems like it's always something. When operating without problems the H is pretty cool. Unfortunately...seems like the issues take turns, and interact with other inter-related malfunctions.

I always get the "obstacle avoidance failed" message when booting up. I just hit the Home or "back" at the bottom of the screen and it goes away. It may even return, but I just do the same and ignore it, for me is just an annoyance. Don't know about the need to restart the controller, doesn't work that way for me.

Just yesterday had the binding issue, had been a few weeks without flying. No volts, no GPS, Sat etc., no binding shown on the controller. It shows up on the binding screen, but no communication. Others have made suggestions here, and include those in your troubleshooting - but one thing I hadn't done was - after powering the drone up before you try to bind, tip it forward twice. After that, the the binding process went perfectly. I got that from some other post here on this forum. Hope that helps at least with that little bit.

With 0 volts, gps and sat saying N/A, sounds like a binding issue.

Are you sure the controller and H are bound together?

Things to try if you haven’t already, one at a time to see if conditions change:

Re-bind
Create a new model and bind to it.

Power down everything. Power up controller only. Note all informational displays. Power up H.

Does it bind? Do any values on the controller change?

By the way, any word from the camera? They are separate bindings so, could help in troubleshooting if camera seems ok and controllable.

Good luck!

Jeff
Thanks for the input all. norwiscpilot I haven't had time to check this yet but it should have been the first thing that came to mind. Hopefully you are right and I can move forward. I'll let you know.
Thank also for the input Keith and Aaron K

Reactions: Aaron k
I feel your pain, it seems like it's always something. When operating without problems the H is pretty cool. Unfortunately...seems like the issues take turns, and interact with other inter-related malfunctions.

I always get the "obstacle avoidance failed" message when booting up. I just hit the Home or "back" at the bottom of the screen and it goes away. It may even return, but I just do the same and ignore it, for me is just an annoyance. Don't know about the need to restart the controller, doesn't work that way for me.

Just yesterday had the binding issue, had been a few weeks without flying. No volts, no GPS, Sat etc., no binding shown on the controller. It shows up on the binding screen, but no communication. Others have made suggestions here, and include those in your troubleshooting - but one thing I hadn't done was - after powering the drone up before you try to bind, tip it forward twice. After that, the the binding process went perfectly. I got that from some other post here on this forum. Hope that helps at least with that little bit.
Mike,
I tried every button on the controller as well as just stabbed my finger all over the screen to make the "Obstacle avoidance failed" message go away. Nothing worked. Seems like there has to be a fix for that.
Thank You

If you believe the problems isolated in the controller, buy, or borrow another one to either confirm, or negate its solely the controller ? I believe you need to start eliminating the possibilities to hone in on the actual problem, rather than banging your head against the wall ?

Never like to hear about other pilots having issues with their H. I certainly don’t know how many H’s have been sold or what percentage have repeated issues, but just wanted to say I have had myH for four years, have logged over 300 flights, and have never had any control issues. (Knock on wood)

I HAVE THE H PRO, AND IT WILL NOT START THE MOTORS UNTIL I HAVE AT LEAST 9 SATELLITES CONNECTED TO THE AIRCRAFT. I ALSO WORK ON SOUND BOARDS. WHEN I HAVE A KNOB OR A FADER THAT SOUNDS CRUNCHY THROUGH THE SPEAKERS, OR NO SOUND AT ALL. I DO THE CONTACT CLEANER TO REMEDY THE PROBLEM. BUT IT USUALLY IS A TEMPORARY FIX. EVENTUALLY I HAVE TO CHANGE THE KNOB OR THE FADER TO PERMANENTLY FIX THE PROBLEM. AND THAT IS A P.I.T.A.
I WAS ALSO HAVING A PROBLEM WITH ACQUIRING SATELLITES. IT WOULD TAKE FOR EVER OR DROP OUT IN FLIGHTS. I PURCHASED A KIT TO RAISE THE GPS BOARD TO PLACE IT EXTERNALLY OF THE CRAFT. IT HAS SEEMED TO HAVE SOLVED THAT PROBLEM AS WELL.. BUT IF YOU HAVE A BAD GPS BOARD. THE RELOCATION WONT SOLVE THE PROBLEM..
NOW I AM NOWHERE NEAR AS EXPERIENCED AS MOST THE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE. BUT THIS IS JUST SOME OF THE THINGS I HAVE LEARNED THE HARD WAY AFTER MY FIRST CRASH.

I also purchased the device to raise the GPS board.
I don't know if it helps or not .
I just purchased it because I was occasionally getting GPS error.
Keith Kuhn

My typhoon h motors won't start either until I have at least 10 satellites. Perhaps that is normal I'm not sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval