Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Orbiting in smart mode with Q500 4K

Reaction score
i know current firmware doesn't allow for an orbit setting in smart mode, however I'm sure there is a technique to allow this, yes I can experiment and eventually figure it out, but I'm impatient and hope someone would help me out and teach me how to do it, I guess in watch me mode. I want to record video orbiting an object under control at a close distance and no more than 10 feet altitude. Possible?

For now, you'll have to do it manually with your own stick controls and inputs.
It's actually not that hard to do but would be nice if it did it on it's own like many others.
Good luck,
Jafo

For now, you'll have to do it manually with your own stick controls and inputs.
It's actually not that hard to do but would be nice if it did it on it's own like many others.
Good luck,
Jafo
I do automotive photography and sometimes want footage of a fly around, sometimes while having busy hands operating a convertible top or something else or maybe even moving. I just thought there would be a technique that would allow me to "cheat"

Push both toggle switches to the right and you will go into a manual orbit mode. The trick is to limit the size of the circle, which I am still working on.

Reactions: notrude
He's talking about the control sticks.
Guess what... if you push the sticks to the left it will do the same thing in the other direction.

That makes sense. I thought he was talking about the slider buttons under the sticks and in the middle of the ST, what are those for anyway?

I think those are the trim controls. AFAIK they're disabled by the remote firmware. On a normal RC model (without the level of stabilization these have,) they're used to adjust out any bias the model has (if it tends to turn or climb or whatever with the stick centered.) On a fully stabilized model they aren't really necessary.

Just so you know, trim sticks are not operational for any Typhoon models than the "H" models. If you watch any of the youtube instructional videos created by Jeff Sibelius, esp. ones that illustrate first flight of the Q500, Q500+ or the 4K, Jeff tells the viewer that these trims are for looks only.

Jim,
New 4K Pilot

Reactions: PilotRichard
It would only take a few lines of code for Orbit mode using the ButtonPicker method already implemented.
If Yuneec wasn't so selfish they would release the source code and allow us to make it better rather than deprecate it to death.
if (ButtonPicker.this.mClickedButton.isPressed()){
if(watchMe.isActive(){
while(orbitMe != true) return;
Gimbal[0].Value = 1.0f;}}

Reactions: Carver
Here is the source code for the St15FlightMode. If you study the code long enough, you'll understand why it was never released, just more greed from the manufacturer. If you compile the rom onto a phone that supports 802.11ac, your phone can be used as a wizard wand, and if your phone supports gyroscope, it would be better than a wizard wand as you can control the drones yaw with the phones rotation.
azvampyre / st10+v01b31c / source / — Bitbucket

Reactions: BVR_TECH
When the drone is in "watch me" all you need to roll left or right to orbit around you. Pitch would control the diameter of the orbit, and rabbit/turtle would control the speed. So if you could program a function that holds the roll stick during watch me, you would effectively have "orbit me"

Reactions: azvampyre
When the drone is in "watch me" all you need to roll left or right to orbit around you. Pitch would control the diameter of the orbit, and rabbit/turtle would control the speed. So if you could program a function that holds the roll stick during watch me, you would effectively have "orbit me"

This is correct. In WatchMe mode, yaw is disabled, so holding the yaw would be redundant. Only Gimbal[0] (Roll Gimbal) needs a negative or positive value while in Watch Me mode as suggested above for automatic Orbit. Adding a second ButtonPicker to the left of the Watch/Follow ButtonPicker could be used to activate/deactivate Orbit or changing ButtonPicker from Toggle to Select[3] using a 2d Array or List with 3 options, or maybe an enumerator.
If you have trouble compiling the rom with edits to the FlightMode,apk (*.* has stopped and needs to close), don't resign it, use the original META_DATA folder in the root and it'll use the original signature.
I'm still trying to make working gradle project that will make editing much easier.

Here is the source code for the St15FlightMode. If you study the code long enough, you'll understand why it was never released, just more greed from the manufacturer. If you compile the rom onto a phone that supports 802.11ac, your phone can be used as a wizard wand, and if your phone supports gyroscope, it would be better than a wizard wand as you can control the drones yaw with the phones rotation.
azvampyre / st10+v01b31c / source / — Bitbucket

How did you get this? :eek:
I need to look this over.
Do you have any of the other APK source files?

So if the Q500 follows the controller, and were drawn in tightly to it, and the controller were placed on a slow rotating apparatus, would the drone orbit about the apparatus as it points itself at the controller?

Spend a few bucks for someone else to drive the car while you fly the drone and have them push the button to operate the convertible top.

Did that work? I want an orbit mode too. Also, what toggle switches are you talking about?
Of course it works (with practice).

I kinda like not having those features as it makes the drone more fun to fly when I have a challenge to get something like an orbit type shot done smoothly.
Reminds me of a level in a game you cant seem to beat until finally you nail it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval