Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Out from Storage

Reaction score
Hello All

Not having been 'in' the game for a long while I pulled my aged Q500 out of storage the other day. (It's been years) All the batteries and power sources charged up with no issues. However all the icons for Satellites and GPS read N/A and the controller is not linking with the copter. (Manual is useless) Too many details to get into here but any advice on how to get my ship running would be appreciated, even general advice. I fear, because of it's age, it may now be a throw away (?) given I have heard the company is now defunct(?).

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.

V in Canada

After sitting a while it is very common for GPS modules to have issues finding their position. This is due to the reason that the connection data is stored in a memory chip which is powered by a small (usually rechargeable) battery. If this battery is drained, which happens over time, it will lose all the information. Therefore it will need much longer to acquire the satellites. A couple of hours is a little bit pessimistic in my opinion. The longest it took for me was a little over 20 minutes for a brand new module which has never been powered up before. Nevertheless just leave it sitting under the sky for a while and you will see first satellites showing up within a couple of minutes.

The connection issue with the remote might be related to a similar problem. Usually it should be solved by binding the drone controller. Yuneec made a video about it:

As Tom said,if you have a dead battery inside the drone,3volts it can take a long time to give it a good charge. I had to let mine sit for 10 or so hours so I could use it time and time again. Peace KC

Reactions: WTFDproject
After sitting a while it is very common for GPS modules to have issues finding their position. This is due to the reason that the connection data is stored in a memory chip which is powered by a small (usually rechargeable) battery. If this battery is drained, which happens over time, it will lose all the information. Therefore it will need much longer to acquire the satellites. A couple of hours is a little bit pessimistic in my opinion. The longest it took for me was a little over 20 minutes for a brand new module which has never been powered up before. Nevertheless just leave it sitting under the sky for a while and you will see first satellites showing up within a couple of minutes.

The connection issue with the remote might be related to a similar problem. Usually it should be solved by binding the drone controller. Yuneec made a video about it:
Well that helped. However I cannot bind the camera to the copter. It keeps asking me for a password, which, I don't remember giving it one etc etc. Any secrets to getting around this OR setting up a new one? The camera is a CGO3.

First thing is put in the batteries, turn on both drone and controller, and leave them sitting outside in an open area for a couple of hours. Then look at it again.
That helped however I can't bind the CGO3 camera to the quad as it's asking for a password... I don't even recall giving it a password! Tried several obvious ones as default etc but nada. Anyway of setting a new password?

Thanks Tom. Batteries are all charged up including the camera.
The GPS battery is a little "hearing aide" type battery soldered permantley onto the GPS board. If the battery went completely dead during storage, it takes about three days of leaving the drone powered "on" to fully charge the battery. The good news is they are seldom completely dead, and they do not have to be fully charged to be functional.
The initial restoration of the GPS almanac will occur sometime in the first 15 to 30 minutes of turning on the drone. If the GPS battery has enough charge to hold the almanac the subsequent starts will be just a couple of minutes. If the battery has not charged enough, you will have to repeat the 15 to 30 minute wait each time the drone is turned off until the GPS battery has enough charge.
The "two hours" mentioned above is just a decent starting point that has some hope for success.

That helped however I can't bind the CGO3 camera to the quad as it's asking for a password... I don't even recall giving it a password! Tried several obvious ones as default etc but nada. Anyway of setting a new password?
The CGo3 and almost all Yuneec cameras after CGo1 have had the same password. It is:

Reactions: 7cyclops
The GPS battery is a little "hearing aide" type battery soldered permantley onto the GPS board. If the battery went completely dead during storage, it takes about three days of leaving the drone powered "on" to fully charge the battery. The good news is they are seldom completely dead, and they do not have to be fully charged to be functional.
The initial restoration of the GPS almanac will occur sometime in the first 15 to 30 minutes of turning on the drone. If the GPS battery has enough charge to hold the almanac the subsequent starts will be just a couple of minutes. If the battery has not charged enough, you will have to repeat the 15 to 30 minute wait each time the drone is turned off until the GPS battery has enough charge.
The "two hours" mentioned above is just a decent starting point that has some hope for success.
Thanks. I will leave it charged overnight tonight. It seems to be ok now however. Just had it out in my hayfield behind the house. A little breezy today to be 're-learning' flight controls so maybe tomorrow in the morning calm. Thankyou again for your time and advice.

She is up and running! Now to re-learn flying skills. Lucky to have 8 acres of cut hayfield.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval