Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Pelican Hard Case (#1620)

Reaction score
IMG_1994.JPG
All,
I got a pelican case from Amazon this thanksgiving. Model#1620 for ~$150 with pick&pluck foam. After 2 hours managed to get it to fit the Typhoon H Pro with 3 batteries, polar pro filters, ST16+ with strap. Works well for this. Not much room left but a perfect fit.

Reactions: Old School
For checked baggage it doesn't get much better than a Pelican. Looks good pulling it out of the trunk or truck for commercial work too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at this, but I'd not use pick/pluck. I'd use a solid block and the waterjet cutter at work. Trim off the bottom inch or so, then cut the shapes in the main block, then glue the bottom back on. My reason for avoiding the pluck is that I used it in a rifle case once. Baggage handlers were rough enough that the weapon moved in the case sufficiently to ruin the remaining foam. Granted, a .338 Lapua is more massive and denser than any part of a drone, but this was enough to set me off pluck foam. My new rifle case foam is watercut. No further issues in 3 trips since then. another advantage to watercutting is that you can get shapes with curves... :)

Pelican is the best, and your pluck layout looks good. Hope it works for you. Keep solid foam and waterjet cutting in mind if it ever falls apart on you...

If you don't have easy access to water jet cutting service, a hot wire cutter works almost as well. You can find how to make one on the Instructables website. Trace around your gear to make some non flammable templates to keep your lines straight.

Well! Naturally Amazon UK doesn't stock the Pelican 1620. However, I am going to be looking for an affordable 'hard case' for My TH as I don't think that the current rucksack and carry foam system will last very long! Any one in the UK/Europe with any ideas?

So I decided to experiment with the pick and pluck foam. It does end up like jello after all the unwanted pieces are removed. Instead of using velcro, i used spray adhesive left over from my garage door insulation project.
I tested the spray on the removed pieces to make sure there were no adverse effect. I then sprayed on eqch of the individual layers and stacked them back into the case with a few cardboard pieces on top to give a good downward compression for an hour.
The initial spray seems to hold the foam well. I would still like to do another coat to the edges of blocks that are still alightly loose. Its something I can keep maintaining in the long run with minimal effort until I can get a nice waterjet cut foam. The adhesive dries off with a white powdery stain. Doest fall off or rub off yet.

Flymac you could try Trifibre.co.uk they have a great selection of cases like Peli but about a quarter of the cost. I have 4 to date and only had a problem with one when delivered a fin corner was snapped off, so sent them an email and they had one in the post the same day and said to just keep the first one which still worked perfectly, so 10 out of 10 for customer service. Can also be found on Flea Bay.

I've made several hard cases with the pick n pluck foam. It works good but I find that you need to leave at least 2 rows of foam (3 would be ideal) between your compartments to have some rigidity between them. You have to be careful removing and installing your items so you don't pull out or damage the remaining foam. I done this on several occasions. That's why keep several bottles of foam safe contact contact cement handy to glue in sections that I have ripped out while removing my equipment.

Flymac you could try Trifibre.co.uk they have a great selection of cases like Peli but about a quarter of the cost. I have 4 to date and only had a problem with one when delivered a fin corner was snapped off, so sent them an email and they had one in the post the same day and said to just keep the first one which still worked perfectly, so 10 out of 10 for customer service. Can also be found on Flea Bay.
Hi Iris,
Great idea - thank you for the 'heads up'! I will check it out fourth with.

Pelican 1650 with stock foam inserted leaves lots of room for goodies too! Added a mini Pelican for the peripherals.

Attachments

• 20180807_205405.jpg
    20180807_205405.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 22

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval