Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Pilot license and Drone Registration

Reaction score
Hi. Sooo quick questions. Does anyone really have their drone registered (if so, how long did it take and was it expensive and/or worth it)? Secondly, I'm starting to get into commercial aerial footage and was told by a friend drone operators are expected to take a Pilot test now thru the FAA. WTF. Has anyone taken this test? What was the process. Sorry, I guess not so quick questions.

Plenty of info out there on the web.

In short, if your drone weighs between .55 and 55 pounds, you have to register it (5 minutes and 5 bucks online). If you fly for any kind of remuneration (money or trade), you need to pass a remote pilot exam (very different from a "pilot test"). Again, lots of information available online (way too much information, IMO).

Reactions: Cranky Trapper
@DroneGurl
As for the registration, I do not like the word DRONE. If you have any Radio Controlled Aircraft, they are suppose to be registered. One registration covers them all. The registration number must be affixed to all of your aircraft, but DOES NOT have to be visible from the outside. You can put the numbers in the battery bay if you want.
(mine is on the landing gear leg on my H and on top of the wing of my fixed wing airplanes)

As for the license, if you fly for compensation of any type, you need to pass the Part 107 exam.
There is tons of information on it, and several areas you can find to help you prep for free.
It does cost to take the test, and it is usually done at a local airport or FAA office. Several members on this forum have taken and passed the test.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Cranky Trapper
The problem with this is, if the drone is operated under section 336 of Public Law 112-95 The US Congress specifically stated that the FAA could not make any new law regarding a drone, and that is exactly what the FAA did in requiring a drone to be registered. We are a government of the people by the people. The FAA is accountable to the people and not free to override the restrictions placed on it by the people through the US Congress and approved by the US President. I would find it hard to believe that the FAA could find a jury of 12 to convict a drone operator of not registering his drone operating under section 336 when Congress' language was quite clear and specific.

Last edited:
There are federal lawsuits filed covering the registration requirements for model aircraft. We can only wait and see how they turn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bullhorn1976

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis