Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Planned obsolescence?

Reaction score
I had all three of my Typhoon H batteries die the same week, 2 drone and the st16 battery. This all after the company is sold and dont support them anymore. For years I heard what an awsome company Yuneec was with the best customer service, then I bought mine and this is not true but still a heck of a drone with maybe the best camera system. Now batteries are scarce and the new GiFi company has its batteries acting funny, and this is a company that wanted to improve on the yuneec product and did for many. Is it possible that were being forced out by Yuneec and theyve put a "Y2K" date on them to die early. Light bulb companies stopped making better light bulbs when they all made a pack called "the Pheobus Cartel". Light bulbs that were lasting 2000( Mod fact check 2500 hrs) hrs only lasted 1000 hrs overnight. Microsoft, when it says its not supporting an OS anymore, those computers start dying.( Mod edit...there is no proof to substantiate this statement. When an OS is at the end of life, a computer does not start dying, all that happens is that there is no guarantee that it will work with new software. Typically the reason for a computer to seem like it is dying at this point is due to it needing a fresh install of the OS to eliminate orphaned files and dead links within the file system structure. After many years of install/uninstalling software, the OS typically becomes slightly corrupt. Other reasons for a slow or seemingly dying computer is RAM that is no longer fully functioning at 100% and hard drives that are corrupt including dead sectors.)
This is called "Planned obsolescence"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jessica
Hello. I just don't agree with you 100%.
Nothing lasts forever, even harder in this area.
Batteries are consumables, and most depends how you keep and maintain them: I've batteries that are 4 and more years old, still working on my drones.
In the same way, today there are many difficulties in finding batteries for phantom Dji and for many other models much more recent than our Yuneec.
There is not only GIFI, you will also find other compatible battery brands.
In USA, our @Yuneec Skins is supplying new batteries for all Yuneec products, that are expected to be available soon.
Thread 'Yuneec Batteries' Yuneec Batteries
In Europe there is this site www.Batteryupgrade.com that can provide them, branded GIFI and Cameron Sino.
In China and Europe oem batteries are still available too.
More than planned obsolescence I would call it normal obsolescence...simply look at computers or smartphones....
The new products overwhelm the old ones, it has always been so.

Last edited:
In some points I agree with you. The big issue is that batteries wear out. With every cycle they lose a tiny amount of their capacity until they are not usable anymore. There is nothing which will fully prevent this from happening. Careful handling however will improve the lifespan by a lot. Mishandling a battery on the other hand might destroy it instantly. This means every single battery will become used up beyond a point where we would consider it to be not usable anymore.

However there is the big issue with those special batteries used in basically every drone. The first generation of the DJI Phantom used ordinary 3S LiPo batteries with about 2400mAh. The same batteries you would use in a 450 size helicopter or a small plane. Great for everyone who is into this topic but difficult for people who have no idea and just want something which the can plug in and are ready to go. Therefore most of the drones are delivered with a special battery pack. If the drone is discontinued which will happen for economical reasons, the batteries will fade from the market.

When Yuneec brought out the H+ and H520 they switched from LiPo to more powerful LiHV. Unfortunately the charger used for a LiHV battery will damage or even blow up an ordinary LiPo battery. Therefor they changed the connector a little bit so you cannot put you Typhoon H battery into a H+ charger. For many people it might seem like they wanted you to buy new batteries but in my opinion that was a useful decision. They even took care to make both battery types compatible with both drones.

The big issue I see with Yuneec is the variety of different transmitters and cameras. Why do they have so many different options of basically identical cameras but they are not compatible with every model? Very stupid in my opinion since it prevents the customer from upgrading to a new model. For example if I own a Typhoon H with a CGO3+ and CGOet and I crash it so that I lose the drone as well as the camera which was mounted at the time. I am now stuck with a remote, batteries a charger and another camera. Now it might be a good idea to upgrade to either H520 or H+ but all the parts remaining are not compatible anymore so I go forward and sell them online. But since I now don't have any parts left, what hinders me from buying a DJI or Autel drone for example? They are also very nice products. So many manufacturers are using a standardized system of parts in a variety of products. A good example for this system are battery powered tools. Once I decided for manufacturer, I will stick with it. The batteries made by Bosch are not compatible with Makita so I will buy another Bosch product once my old one is broken or I need a different one. This is not possible with Yuneec. If I have a CGOet for a Typhoon, I will need another CGOet (with identical hardware but different software) for my H520.

I had all three of my Typhoon H batteries die the same week, 2 drone and the st16 battery. This all after the company is sold and dont support them anymore. For years I heard what an awsome company Yuneec was with the best customer service, then I bought mine and this is not true but still a heck of a drone with maybe the best camera system. Now batteries are scarce and the new GiFi company has its batteries acting funny, and this is a company that wanted to improve on the yuneec product and did for many. Is it possible that were being forced out by Yuneec and theyve put a "Y2K" date on them to die early. Light bulb companies stopped making better light bulbs when they all made a pack called "the Pheobus Cartel". Light bulbs that were lasting 2000( Mod fact check 2500 hrs) hrs only lasted 1000 hrs overnight. Microsoft, when it says its not supporting an OS anymore, those computers start dying.( Mod edit...there is no proof to substantiate this statement. When an OS is at the end of life, a computer does not start dying, all that happens is that there is no guarantee that it will work with new software. Typically the reason for a computer to seem like it is dying at this point is due to it needing a fresh install of the OS to eliminate orphaned files and dead links within the file system structure. After many years of install/uninstalling software, the OS typically becomes slightly corrupt. Other reasons for a slow or seemingly dying computer is RAM that is no longer fully functioning at 100% and hard drives that are corrupt including dead sectors.)
This is called "Planned obsolescence"
Im sorry to disagree with the fact check but just because microsoft has not admitted it doesnt mean it doesnt happen. I will check my facks better in the future but Apple for instance has admitted to making the ipods go dead and charging $200 to replace the battery and they were fined hundreds of millions of dollars. Did that stop them, No cause that is just a small fraction of what they make by ripping off their customers

I am not sure how long you have had your system, and have no idea of your battery maintenance practices. Unfortunately batteries are are consumable product and that goes for any type of battery used in any type of product. The better you care for them the longer they will last.

The Typhoon H was released in 2016 and is around the five year mark. Yuneec is on the third iteration of the prosumer hexacopter and the second iteration of their pro level H520. It is unfortunate that consumables for the earlier versions have all but disappeared, but like other similar products companies drop support for them. It is good for us that a source for batteries is on its way soon.

I have to agree with Richie. There are many of us "recreational" pilots who like to fly their 480s without having to roll up on professional models as older models are still flying great -- with just a lack of power source. I have practiced good battery discipline and my batteries appear to be holding up well -- BUT that is a temporary solution to the aging batteries. I congratulate and thank Yuneec Skins for their desire and ability to procure usuable 480 batteries even though I know it also a good company "profits" decision. They keep our birds flying and we keep going to him when there is a breakdown that even the best of us have problems repairing. I have had Nikon cameras for five decades and have seen that company do the same thing as Yuneec -- not supporting past products. After a financial downturn from dedicated Nikon fans for the non-support, Nikon saw their way of doing support of three- to four- upgraded models. I have invested a lot of money in my cameras, my drones and my guns and want to work with what I have -- not something I am forced to work with because of obsolescence.

Reactions: Mike Irish
Hi All Fellow Members,
This has been an ongoing discussion since I joined this Forum and I know PatR has put a huge amount of time into making and writing up an alternate battery source. I have done my own back 2 years ago and I use batteries that can be purchased from the normal corner hobby shop at less than 1/3 of the price for OEM. Mine are lasting very well and again it is the way you look after them that gives you life. DJI and Autel have troubles with their so-called INTELLIGENT BATTERIES ( which are not intelligent), but rely heavily on the INTELLIGENCE of the OPERATOR to do the UPKEEP of the batteries that we are using. They are consumables. If you fly them down to critical most of the time they will not last. LIPO"S have been around for about 20 years and the technology has not progressed much in that time unless you look after them. I am still using my original batteries and some hobby ones that have been adapted, we fly almost every day in our inspection business and still going very well. Read up on looking after your batteries or on youtube, it does not matter if the video is old the technology is still the very same. Johnno Hennessy Safe Flying and Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

I've a few original 2015 or 2016 480 batteries from when it was first released, I cant remember the year anymore. About 6 of the 10 of them can still get about 10 mins, and have lowish IR numbers. The other 4 or so have puffed up and are isolated.

I've also had a battery cage to use regular 4S batteries 3D printed in a higher temp resistant filament, though I've not gotten around to stripping deans connectors to use in it, this way can also be a way to use cheeper and sometimes better batteries.

In some points I agree with you. The big issue is that batteries wear out. With every cycle they lose a tiny amount of their capacity until they are not usable anymore. There is nothing which will fully prevent this from happening. Careful handling however will improve the lifespan by a lot. Mishandling a battery on the other hand might destroy it instantly. This means every single battery will become used up beyond a point where we would consider it to be not usable anymore.

However there is the big issue with those special batteries used in basically every drone. The first generation of the DJI Phantom used ordinary 3S LiPo batteries with about 2400mAh. The same batteries you would use in a 450 size helicopter or a small plane. Great for everyone who is into this topic but difficult for people who have no idea and just want something which the can plug in and are ready to go. Therefore most of the drones are delivered with a special battery pack. If the drone is discontinued which will happen for economical reasons, the batteries will fade from the market.

When Yuneec brought out the H+ and H520 they switched from LiPo to more powerful LiHV. Unfortunately the charger used for a LiHV battery will damage or even blow up an ordinary LiPo battery. Therefor they changed the connector a little bit so you cannot put you Typhoon H battery into a H+ charger. For many people it might seem like they wanted you to buy new batteries but in my opinion that was a useful decision. They even took care to make both battery types compatible with both drones.

The big issue I see with Yuneec is the variety of different transmitters and cameras. Why do they have so many different options of basically identical cameras but they are not compatible with every model? Very stupid in my opinion since it prevents the customer from upgrading to a new model. For example if I own a Typhoon H with a CGO3+ and CGOet and I crash it so that I lose the drone as well as the camera which was mounted at the time. I am now stuck with a remote, batteries a charger and another camera. Now it might be a good idea to upgrade to either H520 or H+ but all the parts remaining are not compatible anymore so I go forward and sell them online. But since I now don't have any parts left, what hinders me from buying a DJI or Autel drone for example? They are also very nice products. So many manufacturers are using a standardized system of parts in a variety of products. A good example for this system are battery powered tools. Once I decided for manufacturer, I will stick with it. The batteries made by Bosch are not compatible with Makita so I will buy another Bosch product once my old one is broken or I need a different one. This is not possible with Yuneec. If I have a CGOet for a Typhoon, I will need another CGOet (with identical hardware but different software) for my H520.
Hey, Thanks. I didnt even know about the LiHV batteries. Now I at least understand the battery charger problems. Im gonna study up on these LiHVs and see what thetre about

Hey, Thanks. I didnt even know about the LiHV batteries. Now I at least understand the battery charger problems. Im gonna study up on these LiHVs and see what thetre about

I have to agree with Richie. There are many of us "recreational" pilots who like to fly their 480s without having to roll up on professional models as older models are still flying great -- with just a lack of power source. I have practiced good battery discipline and my batteries appear to be holding up well -- BUT that is a temporary solution to the aging batteries. I congratulate and thank Yuneec Skins for their desire and ability to procure usuable 480 batteries even though I know it also a good company "profits" decision. They keep our birds flying and we keep going to him when there is a breakdown that even the best of us have problems repairing. I have had Nikon cameras for five decades and have seen that company do the same thing as Yuneec -- not supporting past products. After a financial downturn from dedicated Nikon fans for the non-support, Nikon saw their way of doing support of three- to four- upgraded models. I have invested a lot of money in my cameras, my drones and my guns and want to work with what I have -- not something I am forced to work with because of obsolescence.
Everyday on the news theres another company accused of or even testifying on capital hill about their designing products to fail at a designated time. They are even writing up a new amendment called "The Right To Repair" Law which will allow you to repair or have an outside company repair and produce aftermarket parts and make available the tools to open such devices, The main one being Iphones i suppose. It seems that all Big Business's are actively trying to rip off the consumer. Facebook was just questioned on Capital Hill for their program called "Centra" to turn on everyones cellphone cameras and spy on them and also turn on their microphones. You would think this to be illegal with the espionage laws already but who knows. I guess being super rich makes ya stupid and evil.

• Haha
Reactions: Mike Irish

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval