Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Point Of Interest With H520

Remember guys that the H520 is running PX4 firmware, which is very widely used - it's not a one off, and is certainly a well regarded autopilot. It has the great advantage that it's not just Yuneec who are working on adding features. There also may be workarounds for some of the issues H520 owners have experienced.

For instance, if you want a curved flight, do not turn the craft at each waypoint, simply change the direction of travel. The gimbal is 360 degree, so it doesn't matter which way the craft is facing at the end of a 'turn'. This *may* give smooth curved flight. I don't know, I haven't tried it.

It's also possible that DataPilot needs to provide different settings when flying missions. As I understand it, it's fairly tuneable, but that tuning may not be available to pilots at the moment. Again, this is something I'm looking at, but without a H520 in front of me, it's a bit experimental ;)

The point is, the H520 should certainly be able to fly smooth missions, but it may need some updates to get there.

Hi Tuna!
I just read that you are having a look at the SDK. Are you in contact with the German or UK product managers?

I actually stopped dropping questions on CS about how and when being able to fly "round curves". Your trick or workaround using lateral steering with camera in "Global Mode" might work in order to achive in flight pans or even manual POIs. It is preferable though to operate corresponding to nose orientation e.g. due to the obstacle sensors looking in flight direction. (BTW: the H520 is able to use OBS during programmed missions, in contrast to the H480).
This thread shows the fundamental problems presently found in the "new" bird. The presentation of the Typhoon H plus on CES-2018 shows, that Yuneec believes PX4 being able to fly "smooth missions". That makes me confident that we will see this (and a lot more) for the H520, too.

If you need a test platform, I can offer you my assistance by flying some tests with my H520.

Is it possible to flash the 520 with any mavlink based fc program and use with QGroundControl through the st16s, all while maintaining integration of video and telemetry stream?
Not that I would want to or feel I should have to for features needed for the price I paid. I do love the way the 520 performs manual along with tx/video one unit etc. Plus a hex and I still feel this thing is going to be one awesome performer...hopefully sooner than many think. I have absolutely no idea or inside scoops from secretaries on what the future holds for the ------enigma-----Yuneec H520

Reactions: Steve AFD
Is it possible to flash the 520 with any mavlink based fc program and use with QGroundControl through the st16s, all while maintaining integration of video and telemetry stream?
Not that I would want to or feel I should have to for features needed for the price I paid. I do love the way the 520 performs manual along with tx/video one unit etc. Plus a hex and I still feel this thing is going to be one awesome performer...hopefully sooner than many think. I have absolutely no idea or inside scoops from secretaries on what the future holds for the ------enigma-----Yuneec H520

Changing PX4 parameters for the H520 will for sure void the warranty.

I have used QGroundControl to take a look at the variables for "yaw" behaviour. During the mavlink dialog you are able to change parameters and some of them ask for a system reboot. But changing parameters, even those with reboot, is not possible. There is a message saying something like "failed to change parameters...".
I think this is done by the manufacturer in order to avoid total confusion. I didn't try the "hidden" ST16S menu for that, but I think it will be locked, too. Maybe there is a trick... I personally won't change any parameters, i.e. it might also void my basic service contract.

I also expect some major improvements quite soon, unfortunately it is not communicated to owners and deciders in the field...

Here is a screenshot of the "hidden" ST16S menu showing "yaw" parameters of my H520. I suspected some of them to be "strange" and told CS about it, but I got no specific response on parameter values. QGroundControl on PC/Mac looks almost identical, apart from the upper bar graphics.

px4-MC_YAW_P.PNG

Yuneec UK keep telling me they are fighting our corner to get these things resolved. They are very aware of them.
They have been telling me this for 3.5 months now.
Do I think changes or improvements will come?
I now do not.
I have no faith in Yuneec as a company and this was my first Yuneec product and it is most definitely my last.
It is over priced, mis sold and not fit for purpose.
We will be very lucky to see any fixes and to be honest if it was Yuneecs plan to destroy themselves this product was definitely the way to go. If this was their aim they have succeeded.
Being a Yuneec first time buyer if I was impressed by the 520 I would have shouted it from the roof tops.
However the roof top shouting has gone completely in the opposite direction. So many people have asked me should they buy the 520?
There is only one other aircraft in my opinion at this sort of money and let’s face it if you’re gonna waste £3000 you might as well chuck another £2000 at it and opt for an aircraft that is very well respected in the commercial film industry and that’s an inspire 2
That said they have issues with props falling off, motor arms falling off, battery mounts over heating. All will have a problem somewhere but at least it can fly missions with pix4d or drone deploy and take bloody good photos.
What have we with the 520?
An orange lemon.

I have seen the H520 being flown and was just about to buy one for photogrammetry work. Since the launch of the Plus and all of the information that has followed I really do not know what to do.
Thank you all for the info. I'll continue to follow this.
I have had a Typhoon H since they were first released and am delighted with it.
Jim

I have seen the H520 being flown and was just about to buy one for photogrammetry work. Since the launch of the Plus and all of the information that has followed I really do not know what to do.
Thank you all for the info. I'll continue to follow this.
I have had a Typhoon H since they were first released and am delighted with it.
Jim

Time will confirm this but it seems to me that the H PLUS will not allow you to fly survey flights. He'd be throwing rocks at his brother the H520. What's more, I don't think any third-party software can be compatible. With the H520 it may be possible, but with the H PLUS they will do what is necessary to make it not so. It wouldn't make sense to have two drones from the same house fighting each other.

Reactions: PatR and Graham
Time will confirm this but it seems to me that the H PLUS will not allow you to fly survey flights. He'd be throwing rocks at his brother the H520. What's more, I don't think any third-party software can be compatible. With the H520 it may be possible, but with the H PLUS they will do what is necessary to make it not so. It wouldn't make sense to have two drones from the same house fighting each other.

Yuneec could have made only one, reasonably priced, bird at the 520 size.
Orange and/or Black and/or silver.
All cameras available.
SDK available.
Both apps available.
One time unlock for commercial users made available upon request.
Users would gravitate to their preference.
It is not too late for Yuneec if indeed the hardware is similar.
Persons who have already purchased a 520 can be offered something of equal value to the difference in prices of the H+ and 520.
Problem solved.

Yuneec could have made only one, reasonably priced, bird at the 520 size.
Orange and/or Black and/or silver.
All cameras available.
SDK available.
Both apps available.
One time unlock for commercial users made available upon request.
Users would gravitate to their preference.
It is not too late for Yuneec if indeed the hardware is similar.
Persons who have already purchased a 520 can be offered something of equal value to the difference in prices of the H+ and 520.
Problem solved.

It's an idea, yes, but it involves a problem. Moving from hobby to commercial would have to be done through software and that is a weak point that can always be broken. It's much easier than hardware level. And then the idea they have in Yuneec of maintenance packages would become a madness or not very functional.

I doubt very much what all these movements have done lightly. It's all more than thought. Another thing is the delay in releasing the software, in this matter they have been caught by the bull, caught, passed over, and passed again :cool:

It's an idea, yes, but it involves a problem. Moving from hobby to commercial would have to be done through software and that is a weak point that can always be broken. It's much easier than hardware level. And then the idea they have in Yuneec of maintenance packages would become a madness or not very functional.

I doubt very much what all these movements have done lightly. It's all more than thought. Another thing is the delay in releasing the software, in this matter they have been caught by the bull, caught, passed over, and passed again :cool:

Unlock, as in unlock of restricted airspace like they did with the Typhoon H.
Locking features like waypoints, cable cam, POI, mapping/survey, via software, when the hardware is capable, leaves a sour taste.
I really hope Yuneec sorts out this mess. They have a winning Hex platform and messing this opportunity up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio