Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Point Of Interest With H520

Exactly what Terrence Davidson said would make me a very happy H520 owner and operator Francksit, watching you with anticipation :)

Hi guys,
I'm a software designer and I am currently working on a third party software that generates missions for the Yuneec H520 with ST16S. The software would automaticaly generate the .plan ready to be imported in DataPilot. Would you have any type of POI missions that you think would be interesting to implement ?

I think, if there is no catch, that you could create a specific thread for that and we could make suggestions. I don't think there's a lack of ideas :)

Hi guys,
I'm a software designer and I am currently working on a third party software that generates missions for the Yuneec H520 with ST16S. The software would automaticaly generate the .plan ready to be imported in DataPilot. Would you have any type of POI missions that you think would be interesting to implement ?

If you could do this sir. You would be deemed a god.

This may well be what has been hindering the 520. Lest we forget, even the exalted DJI ran out of ideas and/or ability to create new automated flight programming and program integration for their systems and oped up their SDK for outside developers to create their own programs. I think Yuneec opened up their SDK for the same reasons. Unfortunately PX4 has a tremendous amount of latent functions that have not not made accessible to 520 users. This is the area where Yuneec has, thus far, failed with the 520. The situation could be easily corrected if the base version of the FC will permit it.

This may well be what has been hindering the 520. Lest we forget, even the exalted DJI ran out of ideas and/or ability to create new automated flight programming and program integration for their systems and oped up their SDK for outside developers to create their own programs. I think Yuneec opened up their SDK for the same reasons. Unfortunately PX4 has a tremendous amount of latent functions that have not not made accessible to 520 users. This is the area where Yuneec has, thus far, failed with the 520. The situation could be easily corrected if the base version of the FC will permit it.

For what we want, it can be done. We must bear in mind that only one thing is necessary. To be able to set waypoints. Once you can do that you can create the types of missions you want, I'm not saying it's easy, but you already have everything you need to do it. Circular, square, rhomboid or as you want. Let them follow the terrain, or not... whatever. It's just a matter of programming (I'm informatic and I know what I'm talking about, it's not so simple but the base that makes it possible is already available).

The big catch is having time and desire. Studying how a new system works, studying the libraries of the SDK, studying how to implement it, the integration of the new functions in the GUI,etc. and that probably takes longer than the programming itself. Once the bases are understood, the rest goes faster. You don't do it overnight, you have to put in a lot of hours. I'm commenting on this because whoever doesn't understand thinks,"You're informatic and you do this in 5 minutes." It could already be like this :p

A greeting for my informatic colleagues and all my support. Including those working in Yuneec. Many times we are a great misunderstanding :) (this doesn't justify anything ;))

Reactions: ccfirehawk and PatR
To be able to set waypoints.

I'm not sure what you're asking for here. Surely you can already set waypoints in DataPilot and fly that route?

Note also that flying curves (probably) depends on PX4 support, which doesn't currently exist. The PX4 autopilot (as I understand it) can only fly straight lines from one waypoint to the next.

I'm not sure what you're asking for here. Surely you can already set waypoints in DataPilot and fly that route?

Note also that flying curves (probably) depends on PX4 support, which doesn't currently exist. The PX4 autopilot (as I understand it) can only fly straight lines from one waypoint to the next.

We're not talking about DataPilot, we're talking about a third-party application that the partner francksit has commented that he will develop.

Hi guys,

Once the flight plan has been generated, simply load it into DataPilot and the H520 will follow it.

The idea, as I understand it, will be to create new flight plans, which can be circular or follow up or self-saving and repeatable or a return home following the same route or......... there are so many possibilities :)

Creating the same ones that DataPilot already has doesn't make much sense, but creating others that have more functionalities than the existing ones does :D

A feature that allows arriving at and departing waypoints on a tangent or arc already exists but requires Yuneec to add it or an SDK app to function. A user currently has the option of setting up a flight plan with more waypoints in a curved shape to closely approximate a smoother curve.

Indeed, there are always several ways to achieve the same thing. It is clear that implementing this option reduces the barbarity of the necessary waypoints, but there is always the option of using many waypoints to generate the curve and make it smooth. As for the camera always looking at a point you can also get it because the camera controls seem to me to remember that they are also available. It's been a long time since I've looked and the truth is that I don't even want, many things pending to get into another ruckus.......

P.D.: PatR, bis bis (I don't know how to say it in English, but when I was little and two people said at the same time the same we said "bis bis") :p

Understand.

Question; How many waypoints will the 520 allow for a single mission? I don’t have one so don’t know.

Last edited:
Understand.

Question; How many waypoints will the 520 allow for a single mission? I don’t have one so don’t know.

What a good question :)

For him who doesn't know in the Pixhawk for a long time there has been a maximum limit number of waypoints. Over time it has been solved from 74, to 128, then 256 and I have found that in March 2017 reached the 2000 without reaching the limit. Probably, I'm not sure, it's probably a floating comma. In our case I think it can be defined by the storage capacities of the Pixhawk mini. I don't know :rolleyes:

Once the flight plan has been generated, simply load it into DataPilot and the H520 will follow it.

The idea, as I understand it, will be to create new flight plans, which can be circular or follow up or self-saving and repeatable or a return home following the same route or......... there are so many possibilities :)

The point is that the firmware in the H520 itself cannot fly spline or curved paths. It flies to a waypoint, turns and then flies to the next waypoint. No matter how you generate the flight plan, the H520 will not smoothly fly a curve with the current autopilot firmware (as I understand it).

If you could just send a curved set of waypoints and have the H520 fly them, I would have added that feature to UAV Toolbox months ago :)

Arruntus,

I knew Pixhawk allowed more waypoints than I ever needed. Not the count as a total. Bear in mind there are times I ask a question I don’t need the answer for, but ask the question in order to have someone other than myself provide an answer others may use just to make a point.

In this case my point failed for two reasons; one was your reply as framed, the second being Tuna’s reply, which was more important. I was not aware the 520 would stop at each waypoint and turn before proceeding to the next waypoint. That further reduces the 520’s usefulness for film making and smooth flow inspection video.

My hope was to see if there was a way people could work around lack of POI by using waypoints. Turns out there’s not. The folks that promoted this machine have got to be feeling like they have blood on their hands.

Last edited:
Arruntus,

I knew Pixhawk allowed more waypoints than I ever needed. Not the count as a total. Bear in mind there are times I ask a question I don’r need the answer for, but ask the question in order to have someone other than myself to provide an answer others may use just to make a point.

In this case my point failed fro two reasons; one was your reply, with second being Tuna’s reply, which was more important. I was not aware the 520 would stop at each waypoint and tune before proceeding to the next waypoint. That my friend further reduces the 520’s usefulness for film making and smooth flow inspection video.

My hope was to see if there was a way people could work around lack of POI by using waypoints. Turns out there’s not. The folks that promoted this machine have got to be feeling like they have blood on their hands.
If this is the case and it can’t do radius or tangents etc then this is not suitable for inspection or for true 3D mapping.
This is very much a bad situation as this functionality is what would be expected from a system promoted as a survey and inspection tool.

I need clarification on this

Yes indeed, I made missions modeled on the Litchi missions by taking again the points which I had and indeed, it stops with each Waypoint for the change of direction and it leaves again. It does the same if in the flight camera is a change of direction. Admittedly the h520 is beautiful in its orange livery but Yuneec did not break the *** by repeating a drone of the early years of design. This one, he had to forget it in a cupboard and take it out now.
It is not with this that it will attract customers or keep it.
I went to see other horizons than Dji but I start to regret it.
Yuneec is in bad shape for me to advertise them.

Considering manned and unmanned aviation autopilots have been intercepting waypoints, be they created with INS, RNAV, or GPS technology, on a tangent or arc for decades it's incomprehensible that Yuneec's "commercial" design team was ignorant of the need for smooth and continuous flow of the aircraft while following a flight plan. This is even more egregious as PX4 has a foundation emanating from open source APM and Pixhawk, both of which provide for smoothing out waypoint intercepts. What the heck were/are they thinking? Was maintaining total control over autopilot functionality the most critical aspect of design criteria? These types of issues are precisely why companies should never, ever employ engineers in the design of anything where they lack "hand's on" experience with the area of endeavor. Not saying Yuneec did but someone there seriously screwed the pooch with design decisions.

Last edited:
absolutely, and it's even more regrettable than what we ask, Yuneec has already done on the H480. Or, it is not they who made the software and they are not able. They can recruit at DJI, There is potential.

Need to go back a bit further than DJI, as we can be fairly certain many of the improvements to DJI flight controllers, and development of some of their Apps, were purloined from open source APM and Pixhawk.

Reactions: ccfirehawk
So where do we go from now? As I feel like returning my 520.. if it never will achieve smooth flights I don’t think I will be able to stick with this platform. We need smooth transitions between waypoints, it’s just far too jerky in its current form

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss