Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Pre and Post flight checklist

Reaction score
I was looking for a pre and post flight checklist to ensure I didn't miss anything stupid resulting in a crash of my Typhoon H. I found a great thread here:
Pre and Post Flight Checklist
(Thanks to Rick Dunn)
This is really geared towards a Q500. I took it and altered it slightly for the Typhoon. I removed a few items that weren't needed and added a couple that I thought were important. I figured I'd post the results here for everyone to use as needed. Happy flying!

Attachments

• Typhoon Pre and Post flight checklist.pdf
    130.3 KB · Views: 168
Reactions: Rayray
Your pre-flight and post light checklist seems to be pretty thorough the only thing I would add is if you can't check an item don't fly. Fly safe.

Reactions: NismoNinja
After analyzing a buddy's telemetry files, I have included waiting 12.5 minutes on startup (in a new area) for full GPS lock. When we looked at his files where he was flying in a new area and only waited until the ST16 said he had 16 satellites, we noticed every time that he didn't have full GPS lock at or near the 12 minute mark.

I question the take off in Turtle mode. I find at least with the q500 which I know the H is not but none the less if you take off in turtle mode it tends to bounce and hover about 2-3 feet off the ground. I like rabbit mode for take off stop at 10 -12 feet up and i'm even able to get right underneath the craft If I need to check things out.
Just my way of doing things.

After analyzing a buddy's telemetry files, I have included waiting 12.5 minutes on startup (in a new area) for full GPS lock. When we looked at his files where he was flying in a new area and only waited until the ST16 said he had 16 satellites, we noticed every time that he didn't have full GPS lock at or near the 12 minute mark.
Can you tell us what you were looking at in the files to see full GPS lock?

I question the take off in Turtle mode. I find at least with the q500 which I know the H is not but none the less if you take off in turtle mode it tends to bounce and hover about 2-3 feet off the ground. I like rabbit mode for take off stop at 10 -12 feet up and i'm even able to get right underneath the craft If I need to check things out.
Just my way of doing things.
I use turtle mode all the time when taking off and it has always worked fine.

The Turtle mode thing, for me anyway, is to protect the UAV from accidental contact with objects while close to the ground. In the event that you bump the control stick or similar it simply gives you far more time to react and adjust before hitting another object. Once the H is 10 feet in the air, I hold it there, cycle the gear, verify input behaves correctly, and then proceed with my planned flight.

However, that can simply be a personal preference thing. Some people like to get out of the 'danger zone' (6 feet or less) as rapidly as possible. I just like to give myself as much time as possible to address any unforseen issues before causing any permanent damage to the H.

I don't see the need to recalibrate accelerometer if moving 50 miles away, only compass.
I always spin motors by hand when I am installing props, just to make sure bearings are smooth, no sand or grit.
I always feel each motor for temperature right after landing. This can warn of future failures.I have one motor which is always hotter than the rest.

Reactions: Graeme Mears
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm working on a rewrite now. I'll add some of this in. I put the accelerometer calibration in there more as a reminder to actually DO that calibration on occasion. Perhaps I'll just put in 'calibrate as needed' for gimble, accelerometer, and compass as a basic reminder. Good idea on spinning the motors and testing them for temp. Great post-flight check item.

So here is a checklist I worked on with Brian. It is still a work in progress and I do not think the LED status chart is correct but this is what I have so far. This checklist started from one someone here on the forum and I have made changes to it for my self. Please let me know things you think should be added or removed.

Attachments

• Typhoon H checklist.pdf
    982.2 KB · Views: 43
That's really slick. I like that all of the important stuff is on the front and the back is a reference guide. I can print/laminate this and stash it in my go bag. Thanks for sharing this!

So here is a checklist I worked on with Brian. It is still a work in progress and I do not think the LED status chart is correct but this is what I have so far. This checklist started from one someone here on the forum and I have made changes to it for my self. Please let me know things you think should be added or removed.
Check list looks Great. I will use it.

Before I saw Brandon's latest update, i revised the one I had started; taking into account the suggestions since; I looked at Brandon's; and thought that while i will use mine, someone else might like it, and these are all great references.
11:40 PM UPLOADED correction to landing, i.e. turn-off Typhoon first, then ST16; I had ST16 listed twice.

Attachments

• Preflight Checklist v.3.5 10_21.pdf
    516.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Before I saw Brandon's latest update, i revised the one I had started; taking into account the suggestions since; I looked at Brandon's; and thought that while i will use mine, someone else might like it, and these are all great references.
I like the 2 columns to get more on the one page. I hope you do not mine if I do a little merging of your list and my list.

be honored; wasn't even going to upload it after i saw yours; but felt there were some things that worried me, I thought should be there. And really it was your list that moved my original one from somewhat organized, to creative, brief and logical. I think Yuneec needs to look at this, and have it available formally!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval