Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Problem free Typhoon H?

Hi, I have had my H for business reasons for about 3,5 years now. I made an sw-update in the early days. I use 4 Yuneec batts and 2 Gifi 8050. Never fly lower than 14.3V and always store in 15.3V with a EV Peak. Always wait 14minutes if I haven't been in the air for 4-5days. Non of the batts has yet puffed. I guess I have been in the air for 250-300hrs. I´m not a "rough" pilot. The only problem I have had so far is two toilet bowls, solved with recalibration and one broken prop. my fault. Still use original props. I measure motortemp when flying in summerheat.
Yes I am satisfied with my H.

You have been very fortunate.
Let's hope it remains flying for another 10 years.
Keith Kuhn

You have been very fortunate.
Let's hope it remains flying for another 10 years.
Keith Kuhn
Thanx Keith, I plan to switch to a used H520 and have my H as back-up. Sooner or later it will crash... perhaps sooner..:eek:

So far i'm not having any issues with the Typhoon H but there is one thing that troubles me...I was really high in the Air and i got Lov Voltage Warning...i figured, welll,,i have at least a minute so i cruised down slowly...Just 5 seconds later i got it again and when i got down, i could not land it hardly..i had full down Throttle and it barely made it..it was sort of drifting and fighting me...any other times,,no problem..only when battery was low...Any reason why it would do that?

I bought my H pro with real sense back in 2016. My ST-16 has the 3 external antennas. I had to send it in when I first got it because I kept getting compass warnings and loss of GPS warnings. They replaced GPS unit and it has been flying flawlessly ever since. I use to fly it all the time when I went camping and in my back yard. I barely fly anymore because I don't camp as much and my HOA added Drone restrictions to our rules several years ago so now I am not allowed to fly in my neighborhood. I flew for the first time in a long time last week. I charged the batteries and it flew great no problems..
Reading this forum over the years I noticed a lot of problems are owner induced. We rush to upgrade the firmware and software the second a new version comes out even though we have no issues with our H. Then after the upgrade all the problem start and you can't install the old software.
I talked to a Yuneec tech when I first got my H and he told me you don't need to upgrade your software every time a new one is released unless you are having issues with it. Our H's are now considered legacy Drones by Yuneec and they stopped software up grades years ago...

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhampton
So far i'm not having any issues with the Typhoon H but there is one thing that troubles me...I was really high in the Air and i got Lov Voltage Warning...i figured, welll,,i have at least a minute so i cruised down slowly...Just 5 seconds later i got it again and when i got down, i could not land it hardly..i had full down Throttle and it barely made it..it was sort of drifting and fighting me...any other times,,no problem..only when battery was low...Any reason why it would do that?

That does seem to be one of the peculiarities of the TH model, I too have found it tends to be driftier the more empty the battery is (even though AFAIK they shouldn't technically be linked at all !). The answer is never to fly anywhere near low voltage warning levels ! I land way before that at 14.5 or so, and have barely ever heard that alarm as a result. But by accepting flight times that are 1 minute shorter by landing at 14.6-7 I know I am not stressing my battery packs, and I am prolonging their life, and the safety of the craft by doing so. It may be technically safe to fly down to battery warnings every time, but that doesn't mean it is a good idea ! And, before you ever go really high, you wanna be glancing at that voltage report to see you have enough power and capacity to do it. So if you are at 15.0 on a pack, then it is mistake to see that and then raise to 400 ft !! Remember you use a buttload of power to get up there... Go higher earlier in the flights rather than later, and if you already are high, and you see that voltage dip under 15v, start coming down, way before it tells you you have to.... not only is this general good practice for all the reasons above, but it also helps keep your craft from going extra drifty at the end during your crucial landing phase, which is when you least want it to be doing that (see 'momentum' and 'tip-over') !

Lastly, if it is too late and you find yourself having to get it down, with drift, in a great hurry, then don't bother landing it at all. Get it down to head height as quickly as possible, grab a leg and kill the motors !

Last edited:
That does seem to be one of the peculiarities of the TH model, I too have found it tends to be driftier the more empty the battery is (even though AFAIK they shouldn't technically be linked at all !). The answer is never to fly anywhere near low voltage warning levels ! I land way before that at 14.5 or so, and have barely ever heard that alarm as a result. But by accepting flight times that are 1 minute shorter by landing at 14.6-7 I know I am not stressing my battery packs, and I am prolonging their life, and the safety of the craft by doing so. It may be technically safe to fly down to battery warnings every time, but that doesn't mean it is a good idea ! And, before you ever go really high, you wanna be glancing at that voltage report to see you have enough power and capacity to do it. So if you are at 15.0 on a pack, then it is mistake to see that and then raise to 400 ft !! Remember you use a buttload of power to get up there... Go higher earlier in the flights rather than later, and if you already are high, and you see that voltage dip under 15v, start coming down, way before it tells you you have to.... not only is this general good practice for all the reasons above, but it also helps keep your craft from going extra drift at the end during your crucial landing phase, which is when you least want it to be doing that !

Lastly, if it is too late and you find yourself having to get it down, with drift, in a great hurry, then don't bother landing it at all. Get it down to head height as quickly as possible, grab a leg and kill the motors !

Thanks a lot. This is some really good advice...So well written...i actually am a big believer in flying and landing wayyy before battery level warnings..i flown like 15 times in 2 weeks and only had that 1 experience..i think this was because i flew it once in a park for only a few minutes and then shut down and then went to another park with same battery..never did that before..i realize after that experience and i can only assume and please concur if this is correct...like you say,,,Throttle up takes a lot of Juice...so my 1st flight even tho it was only a few minutes,,,i brought down powered down...on to the next park...here's where the problem could have happen...Turning on again, Syncing, Camera Syncing, GPS Sync,,,then Lift off took a considerable amount of juice...Not counting flight time...and just 2 minutes in air cause the battery to drain,,not because i was flying long but i feel the starting again and pre-flight checks cause the battery to loose a lot of it's power..is this possible? Aero?

is this possible? Aero?

Yes, exactly that ! 2 flights, 2 big climbs into the air from start - it was never safe to go high the second flight on that pack :)
Good rule of thumb to not take off on a pack if it is under 16v, or at least if you do, to keep it low, and know in advance your flight times will be seriously curtailed...

On a related note, the TH is an absolute monster in high wind, in that it can really fight it well, perhaps better than any drone in its class, but never forget the toll that fight takes on the battery packs ! On hugely windy days, where you are flying high, up with the worst of it, even if you just hover it in place, you will find flight times reduced to as little as 4 minutes by the sheer amount of pack power it takes to remain stable and stationary against such weather... flying back to base against these sort of winds take EVEN MORE POWER, which is where a lot of newer guys sometimes run into trouble...

Last edited:
Yes, exactly that ! 2 flights, 2 big climbs into the air from start - it was never safe to go high the second flight on that pack :)
Good rule of thumb to not take off on a pack if it is under 16v, or at least if you do, to keep it low, and know in advance your flight times will be seriously curtailed...

Ahhh,,,i knew that was a possibility...thanks so much...that just makes perfect sense..that's the only time i had a problem with the "H"..i could have lost it,,if it were really high....I'm glad i have a go to person for questions....I'll post some other concerns,,no major, just features to learn in a new post,,same thread...

Last edited:
A last tip before I disappear for the day would be that if you are ever trying to come down as quickly as possible, don't do that in a stable hover. Travel forward at the same time, so that you always leave the turbulent pocket of air created by your descent behind you, rather than descending right into it, which slows down your descent speed as the FC attempts to control the turbulence. The only exception to this is if you have discovered a control stick problem whilst in flight. In that case it is better to leave that control centred, then not touch it and descend with full position lock vertically straight down, turbulence or not !

Reactions: Ren57 and Rhampton
Lols - you've been lucky ! Those sticks are notorious for degrading over time, and needing switch cleaner / extended periods of pre-wiggling to restore them to proper working order !
Mine had been problematic since about a year after my first flights, and eventually led to me parking the craft up and leaving the hobby for a year and half ! But just last week I felt the call to fly again, so got all my TH kit out, and went to see what was what. Batteries all good for year 3, thanks to perfect storage charge.

Rudder sluggish, and about 50% deflection, but all other controls fine. I did the switch cleaner, which seemed to fix that. However, good job I checked it again before I took off for the first of the season's field tests, because at the field yesterday I suddenly found I had zero response from Aileron input !! I did spray that one the day before too, but by the time I got to the field even full deflection of that stick would show 0 movement in the hardware monitor.

So I logged that test as fail, abandoned that session unflown, came home, switch cleaned it again, with more attention to that pot this time, and now that is fully restored to working behaviour too, so field tests can resume when it next stops drizzling !

So yes, my experience matches that of all those who have had stick issues...

OTHER issues that have been ongoing to various degrees since day 1 include:

1. Camera flickers when recording in most modes under certain light conditions. This seems to affect just me and about 3 other users though - hardly a common issue and I can't even get Yuneec to acknowledge it despite it being obvious to everyone who views the footage !.
2. The descent problem, where craft refuses to come down from a certain level without knowing specifically what to do with it when it does this.
3. The Launch problem, where the H will suddenly jump 50 ft into the air with even the slightest subtle throttle input on take-off ! Not usually problematic after that, and not a problem if you are expecting it, and possibly related to Issue 2, which itself may be possibly related to dodgy / fluctuating barometer readings.

Other than those issues though I think mine is doing rather well after 300 odd flights, and then over a year in storage. Has never crashed, nor flown-away, which is more than I can say for any DJI I have ever owned :) Its motors and original props have held up to all sorts of weather, environments and still work as nicely as they did on Day 1. The Landing gear hasn't broken or stuck either, all good points in my book...

I'd say the biggest bad thing in owning a Yuneec is trying to get parts and batteries for it, which gets ever harder with every year that passes, as perhaps we might expect as product lines become this old and unsupported...

I do love my TH, and am grateful to it and Yuneec for the many happy hours of flying it has given me, but looking at the state of that company now (which I see as something like a beached whale slowly exuding its last slow sad death rattle), when it does come time to replace it it won't be with another one of theirs, a decision made many times easier now that the almighty Autel EVO 2 is officially available in the UK and comparable to the H3 in price, whilst seriously outstripping it in terms of features.

I suspect when I do get one of those my only regret will be leaving behind that 360 degree independently spinning camera, which is mainly what sold me on the TH to start with !
Had the same problem.... and with the rabbit/turtle mode slider as well.....

Had the same problem.... and with the rabbit/turtle mode slider as well.....

ok i'm confused here..So far my ST16 hasn't given me any Stick probems yet..i just got my YT H 4k Four weeks ago used and so far it's work great. Not notice any stick issues..haven't flown it in over a week now...if i just let it sit now for 5 months, what would make my ST16 just haphazardly go bad if it's sitting in a smoke free environment...if i let it sit for 5 months,, is it guaranteed to go bad from sitting?

ok i'm confused here..So far my ST16 hasn't given me any Stick probems yet..i just got my YT H 4k Four weeks ago used and so far it's work great. Not notice any stick issues..haven't flown it in over a week now...if i just let it sit now for 5 months, what would make my ST16 just haphazardly go bad if it's sitting in a smoke free environment...if i let it sit for 5 months,, is it guaranteed to go bad from sitting?

No ! It would be impossible to predict with any level of certainty, and the word 'guarantee' certainly doesn't apply here ! I'd say that was 50% either way, and entirely down to luck !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal