Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Problem free Typhoon H?

Reaction score
i had my Yuneec Typhoon H for a week now. I purchased used from a guy a few towns away..Basically i just turn on insert battery and go through all my checkpoints and i fly.....i haven't had a firmware problem, or stick movement problem or camera problem yet..i read some forums that people are having problems with stick movement on there ST 16. I have the original ST 16 with only the 1 inputs on Top...i have the Typhoon H 4k...i haven't had any problems so far..if i just leave alone and just continue to enjoy. The previous owner already calibrated and updated firmware... How long can a drone like this last problem free...are the H 4k or the St 16 prone to problems? have anyone had there Typhoon H for years and not had any problems? i'm not sure if those Stick problems were on the H+..but i get a little worried when i read forums of people having serious problems which some have difficult time resolving...

I bought my Typhoon H around three years ago. I set it up per the instructions and flew it. That's all I've done since. I do have a new gifipower battery, I think mostly because I didn't treat the old one as prescribed. A couple of years ago I took it from my home in Washington State to my birthplace in New York State, pulled it out of my motorhome and flew it---no problem.

Vic

Lols - you've been lucky ! Those sticks are notorious for degrading over time, and needing switch cleaner / extended periods of pre-wiggling to restore them to proper working order !
Mine had been problematic since about a year after my first flights, and eventually led to me parking the craft up and leaving the hobby for a year and half ! But just last week I felt the call to fly again, so got all my TH kit out, and went to see what was what. Batteries all good for year 3, thanks to perfect storage charge.

Rudder sluggish, and about 50% deflection, but all other controls fine. I did the switch cleaner, which seemed to fix that. However, good job I checked it again before I took off for the first of the season's field tests, because at the field yesterday I suddenly found I had zero response from Aileron input !! I did spray that one the day before too, but by the time I got to the field even full deflection of that stick would show 0 movement in the hardware monitor.

So I logged that test as fail, abandoned that session unflown, came home, switch cleaned it again, with more attention to that pot this time, and now that is fully restored to working behaviour too, so field tests can resume when it next stops drizzling !

So yes, my experience matches that of all those who have had stick issues...

OTHER issues that have been ongoing to various degrees since day 1 include:

1. Camera flickers when recording in most modes under certain light conditions. This seems to affect just me and about 3 other users though - hardly a common issue and I can't even get Yuneec to acknowledge it despite it being obvious to everyone who views the footage !.
2. The descent problem, where craft refuses to come down from a certain level without knowing specifically what to do with it when it does this.
3. The Launch problem, where the H will suddenly jump 50 ft into the air with even the slightest subtle throttle input on take-off ! Not usually problematic after that, and not a problem if you are expecting it, and possibly related to Issue 2, which itself may be possibly related to dodgy / fluctuating barometer readings.

Other than those issues though I think mine is doing rather well after 300 odd flights, and then over a year in storage. Has never crashed, nor flown-away, which is more than I can say for any DJI I have ever owned :) Its motors and original props have held up to all sorts of weather, environments and still work as nicely as they did on Day 1. The Landing gear hasn't broken or stuck either, all good points in my book...

I'd say the biggest bad thing in owning a Yuneec is trying to get parts and batteries for it, which gets ever harder with every year that passes, as perhaps we might expect as product lines become this old and unsupported...

I do love my TH, and am grateful to it and Yuneec for the many happy hours of flying it has given me, but looking at the state of that company now (which I see as something like a beached whale slowly exuding its last slow sad death rattle), when it does come time to replace it it won't be with another one of theirs, a decision made many times easier now that the almighty Autel EVO 2 is officially available in the UK and comparable to the H3 in price, whilst seriously outstripping it in terms of features.

I suspect when I do get one of those my only regret will be leaving behind that 360 degree independently spinning camera, which is mainly what sold me on the TH to start with !

Last edited:
I bought my Typhoon H around three years ago. I set it up per the instructions and flew it. That's all I've done since. I do have a new gifipower battery, I think mostly because I didn't treat the old one as prescribed. A couple of years ago I took it from my home in Washington State to my birthplace in New York State, pulled it out of my motorhome and flew it---no problem.

Vic

I also have the GiFi 8050
Battery.
Only 7 flights on it.
So far so good I label it each time I flight to keep track of how many times I charge it.
Keith Kuhn

Reactions: Rhampton

Vic
Thanks Vic,,,i am glad you had a successful Journey so far...Good to hear news like that...i hope i get some months or even years out of mine..So far so good ....i have to try that Gifpower Battery..i have to google that one..Maybe i get one..I have Ultra X 6300mah Lipo..i have 2 of them...so far so good..i only fly 10 Minutes and then i land...lol...i'm chicken to go any longer....

Lols - you've been lucky ! Those sticks are notorious for degrading over time, and needing switch cleaner / extended periods of pre-wiggling to restore them to proper working order !
Mine had been problematic since about a year after my first flights, and eventually led to me parking the craft up and leaving the hobby for a year and half ! But just last week I felt the call to fly again, so got all my TH kit out, and went to see what was what. Batteries all good for year 3, thanks to perfect storage charge.

Rudder sluggish, and about 50% deflection, but all other controls fine. I did the switch cleaner, which seemed to fix that. However, good job I checked it again before I took off for the first of the season's field tests, because at the field yesterday I suddenly found I had zero response from Aileron input !! I did spray that one the day before too, but by the time I got to the field even full deflection of that stick would show 0 movement in the hardware monitor.

So I logged that test as fail, abandoned that session unflown, came home, switch cleaned it again, with more attention to that pot this time, and now that is fully restored to working behaviour too, so field tests can resume when it next stops drizzling !

So yes, my experience matches that of all those who have had stick issues...

OTHER issues that have been ongoing to various degrees since day 1 include:

1. Camera flickers when recording in most modes under certain light conditions. This seems to affect just me and about 3 other users though - hardly a common issue and I can't even get Yuneec to acknowledge it despite it being obvious to everyone who views the footage !.
2. The descent problem, where craft refuses to come down from a certain level without knowing specifically what to do with it when it does this.
3. The Launch problem, where the H will suddenly jump 50 ft into the air with even the slightest subtle throttle input on take-off ! Not usually problematic after that, and not a problem if you are expecting it, and possibly related to Issue 2, which itself may be possibly related to dodgy / fluctuating barometer readings.

Other than those issues though I think mine is doing rather well after 300 odd flights, and then over a year in storage. Has never crashed, nor flown-away, which is more than I can say for any DJI I have ever owned :) Its motors and original props have held up to all sorts of weather, environments and still work as nicely as they did on Day 1. The Landing gear hasn't broken or stuck either, all good points in my book...

I'd say the biggest bad thing in owning a Yuneec is trying to get parts and batteries for it, which gets ever harder with every year that passes, as perhaps we might expect as product lines become this old and unsupported...

I do love my TH, and am grateful to it and Yuneec for the many happy hours of flying it has given me, but looking at the state of that company now (which I see as something like a beached whale slowly exuding its last slow sad death rattle), when it does come time to replace it it won't be with another one of theirs, a decision made many times easier now that the almighty Autel EVO 2 is officially available in the UK and comparable to the H3 in price, whilst seriously outstripping it in terms of features.

I suspect when I do get one of those my only regret will be leaving behind that 360 degree independently spinning camera, which is mainly what sold me on the TH to start with !

Wow and i must say i enjoyed reading your sort of story i guess you might say..i like it when someone explains there situation in detail. You really got my attention...Thanks for sharing this...i'm sorry about the stick movement..Between me and of course the previous owner,,,he never mentioned and thing like that and when i purchased it i never noticed anything...Do you think it's inevitable? or is it possible i that some ST 16's will never experience that? i'm a bit nervous now...Fortunately my Camera is Flawless..i absolutely love the Video Footage..The motors & Props are good and My Ultra X 6300mah Batteries..i will keep an eye on those Stick Movements..i took out today and not a single indication that the sticks are sluggish..i just hope it stays that way..i now wonder what would make them do that...i mean my ST 16 is sitting in my living room smoke free environment...i have other remote controls for my Scale Rc Helicopter..i use a DX7 for that and i had that TX 7 years now and never cleaned it so i wonder what would make the 16 get to that point......Look forward to hearing from you..

Wow and i must say i enjoyed reading your sort of story i guess you might say..i like it when someone explains there situation in detail. You really got my attention...Thanks for sharing this...i'm sorry about the stick movement..Between me and of course the previous owner,,,he never mentioned and thing like that and when i purchased it i never noticed anything...Do you think it's inevitable? or is it possible i that some ST 16's will never experience that? i'm a bit nervous now...Fortunately my Camera is Flawless..i absolutely love the Video Footage..The motors & Props are good and My Ultra X 6300mah Batteries..i will keep an eye on those Stick Movements..i took out today and not a single indication that the sticks are sluggish..i just hope it stays that way..i now wonder what would make them do that...i mean my ST 16 is sitting in my living room smoke free environment...i have other remote controls for my Scale Rc Helicopter..i use a DX7 for that and i had that TX 7 years now and never cleaned it so i wonder what would make the 16 get to that point......Look forward to hearing from you..

Mine is sitting in a smokey environment, but has been sealed inside its case whilst in storage, so don't think that has affected things. But in my (rather limited) 3 years experience of this forum I have seen literally scores of posts featuring stick problems, usually the side-to-side movement of both controller sticks, such that I believe the problem is widespread, though perhaps not endemic or inevitable. There is good news though; a) this is that it's not something you have to sit there worrying about, you just need to remember to check the hardware monitor before the first flight of every session to see that all is in order before you take off, and b) it seems solvable in 95% of cases with the plastic-safe electrical contact /switch cleaner - and even if the whole block irreparably fails they are only $35 to replace.

Thanks Vic,,,i am glad you had a successful Journey so far...Good to hear news like that...i hope i get some months or even years out of mine..So far so good ....i have to try that Gifpower Battery..i have to google that one..Maybe i get one..I have Ultra X 6300mah Lipo..i have 2 of them...so far so good..i only fly 10 Minutes and then i land...lol...i'm chicken to go any longer....

Do you have a battery adapter case for your battery that you use ?
So far I like my GiFi 8050.

If you get one of those one good word of caution has put some tape over the back flap because the spring is a little weaker than the OEM model to assure it doesn't pop out.
During your flight.
Keith

I agree on the sticks whenever I go flying I always take my can of contact cleaner with me just in case.
Keith

Do you have a battery adapter case for your battery that you use ?
So far I like my GiFi 8050.

If you get one of those one good word of caution has put some tape over the back flap because the spring is a little weaker than the OEM model to assure it doesn't pop out.
During your flight.
Keith
Hey Keith, no I don't have a battery adapter.... my battery fits directly into the typhoon H. And directly into a charger. So far the battery seems to be very good I have two of the same ones. I think the battery only has 20 Cycles on them so far so they still fairly new

Ok, I'm feeling guilty about my previous 'dead whale' comment. Just been out for test flights Round 2, and had the most PERFECT 3 flights ever with the TH. She really did fly impeccably. So thought it only fair to come back and say that. The joy of flight has been fully restored, and today the camera wasn't even flickering !!! Go TH !! :) :) :)

I need to chime in here. My H pro is 3 yrs. old or a little less.@ crashes,very near to ground , both from me not paying attention.Spectacular event from this past saturday,while searching for my Q 500. We are searching a 600 acre farm lots of woods. Some virgin timber 150' height. @ flight helpers 1 with the goggles, too much talking,I was 10 ft off the ground ,my spotter yelled,too late my H was trimming the crap out of an oak tree. Drone in angle mode,fast move to reverse,oops wrong way, more chopping ,another quick move ,whew H came out of trees,leaves flying all over the place. Got a motor warning and landed safe. Unbelievable no broken props,stock yuneec,no hot motors no broken parts. Replaced battery and fired it back up after 15 minutes. No warnings fantastic flight. Still searching for Q 500. It drifted out of sight. I think I know why. Telemetry files show it is out in Lake michigan, 7 miles away. No way in H. I will post on this later. May ask WTFD project If I can send him flight data. Too embarrased at this time. H has been a solid drone,scares the crap out of me sometimes. I need more practice in emergency situations. Still using 3 original batteries staying safe at 14.5 V to land. Keith CGet average of 17 min. each:D

Reactions: Mike Irish
Mine is sitting in a smokey environment, but has been sealed inside its case whilst in storage, so don't think that has affected things. But in my (rather limited) 3 years experience of this forum I have seen literally scores of posts featuring stick problems, usually the side-to-side movement of both controller sticks, such that I believe the problem is widespread, though perhaps not endemic or inevitable. There is good news though; a) this is that it's not something you have to sit there worrying about, you just need to remember to check the hardware monitor before the first flight of every session to see that all is in order before you take off, and b) it seems solvable in 95% of cases wiblemth the plastic-safe electrical contact /switch cleaner - and even if the whole block irreparably fails they are only $35 to replace.

I wouldnt call mine a "Stick Problem" It was for 5 - 10 mins till i read this forum and bought the cleaner. I would consider it a maintenance issue and you can replace the joystick for $10 i think. I think alot of our Typhoons werent stored well before we purchased. Heck my flight records say mine has been flown 10 to 15 times last year in shainghi china, a bunch of short 2 min flights like it was the floor model at the factory. But i dont care , I love the thing and will fly it most every day.

Ive heard the company is just now starting to get back on thier feet after the Virus wiped out a bunch of em and it hit them really hard. So maybe they are not going under

I agree on the sticks whenever I go flying I always take my can of contact cleaner with me just in case.
Keith
I think the Stick Issues are from humidity and that the fans blow right on them and blow a lil dust up thier backsides. Just get a $5 can o the cleaner just i n case

I think the Stick Issues are from humidity and that the fans blow right on them and blow a lil dust up thier backsides. Just get a $5 can o the cleaner just i n case
The potentiometers are of low quality and oxidize easily. Dust does not get in them as there is only a very tiny hole to allow access into the device. They really should have made a better choice for materials in construction of the control gimbals electronics and mechanical tensioning. The cost would have been minuscule to have made them better.

When you do clean the pots, I suggest opening the back of the ST-XX controller, remove the control gimbal and clean just the pot utilizing the small access hole. This avoids spraying contact cleaner on other components.

The potentiometers are of low quality and oxidize easily. Dust does not get in them as there is only a very tiny hole to allow access into the device. They really should have made a better choice for materials in construction of the control gimbals electronics and mechanical tensioning. The cost would have been minuscule to have made them better.

When you do clean the pots, I suggest opening the back of the ST-XX controller, remove the control gimbal and clean just the pot utilizing the small access hole. This avoids spraying contact cleaner on other components.

Good tip on taking the st16
apart.
Keith KUHN

That is a very good plan. My initial delight that they thought to provide grommeted ports in the back panel was very much tempered by almost total lack of visibility of what you are meant to be contacting inside the holes, light-of-god style torch or otherwise !

i had my Yuneec Typhoon H for a week now. I purchased used from a guy a few towns away..Basically i just turn on insert battery and go through all my checkpoints and i fly.....i haven't had a firmware problem, or stick movement problem or camera problem yet..i read some forums that people are having problems with stick movement on there ST 16. I have the original ST 16 with only the 1 inputs on Top...i have the Typhoon H 4k...i haven't had any problems so far..if i just leave alone and just continue to enjoy. The previous owner already calibrated and updated firmware... How long can a drone like this last problem free...are the H 4k or the St 16 prone to problems? have anyone had there Typhoon H for years and not had any problems? i'm not sure if those Stick problems were on the H+..but i get a little worried when i read forums of people having serious problems which some have difficult time resolving...
Hi, I have had my H for business reasons for about 3,5 years now. I made an sw-update in the early days. I use 4 Yuneec batts and 2 Gifi 8050. Never fly lower than 14.3V and always store in 15.3V with a EV Peak. Always wait 14minutes if I haven't been in the air for 4-5days. Non of the batts has yet puffed. I guess I have been in the air for 250-300hrs. I´m not a "rough" pilot. The only problem I have had so far is two toilet bowls, solved with recalibration and one broken prop. my fault. Still use original props. I measure motortemp when flying in summerheat.
Yes I am satisfied with my H.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VertCold22