Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Problems with h520 fresh out of the box

Reaction score
I recently got an H520 for our office to use. I unboxed it, charged the batteries and controller. Read the quick start manual. The problem I ran into was during take off as the motors increase power the aircraft starts flying sideways at a fairly rapid rate. All of the motors are turning and have the correct props on them . What am I doing wrong?

PS this is my first Yuneec Aircraft. I've been using a DJI Phantom 4 for the last 2 years

You have just received it. He traveled before you got it.
It has been manufactured and checked away from home.
If you went through Dji, you must know that the birds are calibrated before any first flight. Compass, accelerometer etc ... and you ask what you did wrong? It is not only the quick start manual, there is also the other manual which is to read and in depth.
You're lucky your h520 is not going to crash into a wall.

You have just received it. He traveled before you got it.
It has been manufactured and checked away from home.
If you went through Dji, you must know that the birds are calibrated before any first flight. Compass, accelerometer etc ... and you ask what you did wrong? It is not only the quick start manual, there is also the other manual which is to read and in depth.
You're lucky your h520 is not going to crash into a wall.
@EMA Pilot
Agree with @claudius62. I fly an H, does the 520 have smart and angle mode?
Make sure you do not fly in SMART MODE (if it does have that option) until you understand the characteristics of its use!!!!

If you were in Smart Mode, and within the 8 Metre radius, then the H520 was acting according to programming and trying to get away from you. Otherwise, as @claudius62 stated, it really needs to be calibrated. These birds are really an advance UAV, the manual is a must. I read and practiced for 2 months beforeI finally got my H into the air. I had been flying a Q500 4K for 3 years. I haven't flown a DJI, except the Tello.

I recently got an H520 for our office to use. I unboxed it, charged the batteries and controller. Read the quick start manual. The problem I ran into was during take off as the motors increase power the aircraft starts flying sideways at a fairly rapid rate. All of the motors are turning and have the correct props on them . What am I doing wrong?

PS this is my first Yuneec Aircraft. I've been using a DJI Phantom 4 for the last 2 years

Attachments

• Yuneec_H520_Manual_v1.6_EN.pdf
    37.4 MB · Views: 11
Thank you folks for the help I will look at the manual. I didn't want to damage the thing the day I got it.

Thank you folks for the help I will look at the manual. I didn't want to damage the thing the day I got it.

The H520 doesn't have Smart mode (thank goodness) but it can certainly be a calibration problem. It is very simple to do all the calibrations. Apart from reading the manual you have almost all the important video procedures in this thread.

How To: Basic procedures with the H520 and cameras

The behaviour of the 520 is exactly what you would expect from an uncalibrated H520. The manual states you must recalibrate the compass if the current location is more than 5 miles from the previous calibration location.

If the 520 is new and not calibrated then when you attempt to fly the aircraft it's systems will still think it is in China at the factory test site where it last flew and try to adjust its location accordingly. This usually results in either a crash or a fly away, both quite expensive outcomes. I can only presume that you have been able to switch to manual (DJI Atti mode) and recover the 520.

Additionally you will also need to link your controller to you network so you can update the controller and vehicles firmware. You will need to have powered up the ST16, exited DataPilot and have gone to the Android system. You will need to identify your network and provide the controller with the appropriate password so it can access the interney.

Once this has been done you can go back to DataPilot (or reboot the ST16) so that you can then power up the controller, then the H520 (the order is important) and then go to the settings, select Vehicle and then select Firmware Update. The controller will attempt to connect to Yuneec via the internet. If successful it will first check the firmware on the controller to ensure it is the latest version and update if required. It will then check the H520 firmware and update it over the air if required. The process can be done manually, as explained in the manual however Yuneec recommend that updates be done over the air.

Note: Like the DJI products the Yuneec products get updates. A brand new aircraft may not have the latest software on board.
Unlike DJI the process does not provide Yuneec with a data dump from the H520.

Please read the manual and have a look at the Yuneec (Europe) H520 videos on YouTube. There are some significant differences between the 520 and the DJI products, not the least being the emergency shutdown procedure.

All that said, enjoy your aircraft.

I hate to be the party pooper, BUT WHY would someone spend anywhere from $3000 to $6000 or more on a UAV system and try to fly it after looking at the Quick Start Guide instead of reading the full User Manual and becoming familiar with the system before taking to the air.

I guess for me reading the manual first comes natural as most of my career I spent troubleshooting and repairing equipment that cost 10X my annual gross income or more. I sure couldn’t afford to pay for something like that by messing it up through negligence.

A good thing this went bonkers right after takeoff instead of once it was in the air out around the general public.

Reactions: Gadget2628
Agree. Quick Start Guides for sophisticated systems such as the H's and the H520 are a really bad idea. Lulls new users into a false sense of security. Makes things dangerous for everyone. Yuneec should ditch them

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my