Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Prop Balancer for Q

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good Prop balancer that will work with the Q's props?

You can find everything you need here . I believe the balance rod you need is 8 mm x 1.0

Someone please correct me if that is the wrong shaft size. The rod is down near the bottom of the page it’s listed for $12.75. I use the Du-Bro Tru-Spin.

I recommend this one. I just set it on top of a tall water glass and that works great. Precision Prop Balancing ROD for YUNEEC Q500 Units

Steve I tried that and the results, for me were inconclusive. Could not determine with any accuracy which blade was heavy. Tried several. Did find one that I thought had a heavier blade but when I placed a piece to tape on it, inside portion only and not more than half way out, it did not do thing to change the balance. Thinking I should get a different device for balancing. Any recommendations?

Steve I tried that and the results, for me were inconclusive. Could not determine with any accuracy which blade was heavy. Tried several. Did find one that I thought had a heavier blade but when I placed a piece to tape on it, inside portion only and not more than half way out, it did not do thing to change the balance. Thinking I should get a different device for balancing. Any recommendations?
I had to try a few glasses before finding one that was actually flat on top. However, if you did not see one side of the prop drop that simply means the prop is balanced. If you have one that doesn't balance with a piece of tape then add another piece. All of mine seem to balance okay except one that had a small chip I hadn't noticed until I tried to balance it.

I had to try a few glasses before finding one that was actually flat on top. However, if you did not see one side of the prop drop that simply means the prop is balanced. If you have one that doesn't balance with a piece of tape then add another piece. All of mine seem to balance okay except one that had a small chip I hadn't noticed until I tried to balance it.

I used a carpenters level to find the sweet spot on the glass.

I used a carpenters level to find the sweet spot on the glass.
Perfect. It sounds like you have a pretty good set of props. This remains the best method I have seen for balancing. Other devices all seem to have too much resistance in the wheels for light weight props.

Perfect. It sounds like you have a pretty good set of props. This remains the best method I have seen for balancing. Other devices all seem to have too much resistance in the wheels for light weight props.

Tell me your technique. Do you place them vertical or horizontal? How do you know that a low spot on the glass is not causing movement of the rod?
t

When you have finished adding tape do you just fold the tape over the leading edge of the blade? Any chance that airflow might be disrupted? Thanks for the video. I feel that I should try again to balance.

When you have finished adding tape do you just fold the tape over the leading edge of the blade? Any chance that airflow might be disrupted? Thanks for the video. I feel that I should try again to balance.
I didn't show the finish. I stick on the test pieces to get the right weight, then move them to the bottom of the blade so there is no exposed edges.

Steve: On the Q do the props turn in the same direction as the tighten or opposite? Also, I assume that when I climb the motors speed up and when I descend the motors reduce RPM. When traveling forward or back in a straight line do the motors tilt to accomplish that task?

Steve: On the Q do the props turn in the same direction as the tighten or opposite? Also, I assume that when I climb the motors speed up and when I descend the motors reduce RPM. When traveling forward or back in a straight line do the motors tilt to accomplish that task?
The rear motors would speed up slightly to tip the aircraft forward which would result in forward travel. The yaw is controlled by two diagonal motors. Speeding one set of diagonals will make the aircraft yaw. The motors also can brake for fast changes in direction or when landing. If you have a prop that isn't tightened properly that is when they will unscrew and fly off. Don't ask me how I know this.

The rear motors would speed up slightly to tip the aircraft forward which would result in forward travel. The yaw is controlled by two diagonal motors. Speeding one set of diagonals will make the aircraft yaw. The motors also can brake for fast changes in direction or when landing. If you have a prop that isn't tightened properly that is when they will unscrew and fly off. Don't ask me how I know this.

Do the props turn opposite the direction they tighten?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babyyodajede