Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Prop flew Off

Reaction score
I Just got my Q500 4K back, First flight and the Right Front Prop flew off. Luckily I was just landing, scared the ever living poop (With a Sh) right out of me, but she landed fine. Yes I used the nifty little plastic nut crackers to tighten the props on before taking off. I got to say I had some bad luck with this Drone, real bad luck; Bought it new missing parts, couldn’t use it for the first 30 days weighting for the replacement parts to arrive. 30th of December she flipped and burned – shipped it Yuneec and got her back about two weeks ago. Between work and family events, I have not had a chance to fly her until today and ***-it if a Prop didn’t come off, kind-of taking my trust away from this aircraft. I’ve had my old Drone for almost a year, other flying backwards for a better shot of a building and into a Large tree, I have not had problems with the old Phantom II. I was tossed between the Phantom III pro and the Q500 4k , starting to think I made a mistake. I made the swithch because of Yuneec’s customer service, hands down the Best I’ve seen!

Anyone else having similar problems with their 4k? Could it be just bad luck - - :-(

So, I had mine flew it one time, it wrks fine. No issues with the props I manually tighten mine. The only problem I have was pistol grip was not pwering up the gimble and camera, I called the S/T depatement told the issues and he will send me a replacement. still waiting for to come.

Hey Nick,
I had a prop come off while the bird was sitting on the kitchen table.

I just picked up a Q500-G last friday. I was tinkering with loading the latest software, putting different parts together, etc, before the first flight. I also wanted to check the power it has as compared to my 3DR Solo, so I put on one of the "self tightening props" took a solid grip on the bird, and started the motors, while at my kitchen table.
( not one of my smartest moves, obviously) All was fine until I turned down the power. the motor slowed faster than the prop, and it unscrewed and went up until the chandelier stopped it. Self tightening is inaccurate, BTW

I'm actually glad the prop let go inside. If it had happened during the first flight, There would have been a crash. Not good.

I felt foolish (as I should have) while I watched pieces of propeller scatter around the room. I'm thinking at this point, "dummy, you have a new bird, it's still in the house, and you're already breaking props!"

The next day I did take it out and was impressed with the Q500. It's a good value in my opinion even after only 2 short flights. Not as sturdy as my Solo, but not as pricey either. I'm going to give mine a fair chance and see what happens. These seem to be decent quality.

I read through the manual for the 4K and learned I should also tighten the props with the nutcracker. I assumed I don't have to do this since my Solo doesn't need to be tightened with a tool.

Live and learn I suppose.

I too have had my share of problems with the Q500 4K it is a very unforgiving drone. I too also own and still fly a Phantom 2 over a year and a half with no incidents.
I too also considered the Phantom 3 over the Yuneec and I too have to wonder about my decision when I choose the Yuneec. However on the plus side the Q500 has
a ton of great features but also has a ton of design flaws. Probably the worst, the placement of the camera which is very close to the ground and you have to have a
perfect landing area or damage to the camera is quite possible. I carry a 2 X 2 foot piece of cardboard to land on and if you return to home it will land in a 10 to 20
foot area and if there is any debris such as small ground cover of high weeds or rocks that can be fatal. The props are not to forgiving if they brush up against
anything they will break and can result in a crash or flip over, on the Phantom 2 the props are very flexible and never caused an incident. Lastly the battery has good
life but I have found that when using the video camera it appears to shorten flying time, that and when the alert to land comes on you almost have to land now!
which could be in a bad place. The progress bar on the ST10 that shows battery amount left can jump from 2 bar to danger and vise versa. A fast charger would be
something to look into. I don’t say this to be critical just a personal observation on my part. I do Rail Road photography and videography and precision flying is a must
and a sturdy drone is most beneficial to me. I have been flying the Q500 as much as possible so I can learn all its pros, cons and idiosyncrasies and looking forward
to continued flying, keeping Phantom in hanger #2...: o )
Alan

Have you verified that the rubber "O" rings are on the motor shafts?
I've had my 4k for a month. I initially put the props on that were already in the top foam slots in the aluminum carrying case that came with it. I've had probably close to 58 flights on it, tightening and loosening the props with the tool. I never even knew about the rubber "O" rings, until I looked at the packaging of the replacement props that came with it. No prop problems in those 58-60 flights, and I've put the Typhoon through some tough maneuvers and quick descents. But, I guess I need to use the "O" rings? They just make the props fit more snug on the motor shaft, like a lock-nut? Kinda scared to change what's been working fine for me, lol.

Reactions: Timothy Smalley
The o rings our a replacement to the originals that were on from the factory. You can see the o rings before you put on the prop.
I had a prop fly off when in return to home mode. I believe that it is dynamic breaking when the bird descents to quickly that can flip a prop the wrong direction. Just remember to tighten, then tighten again.

Have you verified that the rubber "O" rings are on the motor shafts?
No I did not check the o ring, thanks for reminding me, I'll check

-------- Update: I did check to see if the O=Rings were installed, Yes thery are ---------

Last edited:
Ah, I never saw the o-rings already on the engine shafts. That must be why I haven't had a prop come off. Plus, I've used the included tool to tighten/loosen the props every time.

I Just got my Q500 4K back, First flight and the Right Front Prop flew off. Luckily I was just landing, scared the ever living poop (With a Sh) right out of me, but she landed fine. Yes I used the nifty little plastic nut crackers to tighten the props on before taking off. I got to say I had some bad luck with this Drone, real bad luck; Bought it new missing parts, couldn’t use it for the first 30 days weighting for the replacement parts to arrive. 30th of December she flipped and burned – shipped it Yuneec and got her back about two weeks ago. Between work and family events, I have not had a chance to fly her until today and ***-it if a Prop didn’t come off, kind-of taking my trust away from this aircraft. I’ve had my old Drone for almost a year, other flying backwards for a better shot of a building and into a Large tree, I have not had problems with the old Phantom II. I was tossed between the Phantom III pro and the Q500 4k , starting to think I made a mistake. I made the swithch because of Yuneec’s customer service, hands down the Best I’ve seen!

Anyone else having similar problems with their 4k? Could it be just bad luck - - :-(
Nick, I just lost my Typhoon 500+ when one prop came off at about 250 feet as I watched! I have flown drones for the past 5 years and pre-flight test mine each flight and use my wrench to tighten the props. I talked with Yuneec support which was useless and they advised "oh well". I also use the rubber o rings which apparently does not help. The technician at Yuneec did describe to me the situation about the motor rotation that could cause the prop to come off. I fly two drones and this is the only model/manufacture that a prop has come off not once but twice. Lucky enough I work with Carolina Drones who I shipped the parts to as a helpful partner.

I think a downward spiral is in the works, I’ve had all the same incidents and also I have two DJI’s a 1.1 and a 2 with no problems 2 years no problems

I agree with you. I have flown the DJI Phantom for years and now have the P3 with no problems. I have had two incidents with the Yuneec with props coming off and don't trust the equipment anymore. Support answers calls but has nothing worthwhile to say for help.

Makes me want to start using some blue Loc-tite on the motor shafts now......ugh.
I was put off with the difficulty level of having to update the FW/SW when I first opened the box.
Still trying to mentally force myself past that one and just have fun flying this thing. Which, if I recall, was why I bought it in the first place.
Maybe a Yuneec moderator will see this.....

I had a prop fly off a couple of times on landing, too. Make sure you really tighten the props - screw them on , then take the the tightening tool and tighten each prop 1 1/4 turns. It works for me.

Reactions: Fleamac

My flying buddy has had all kinds of problems with the 4K unit and about as many as I have had with the Typhoon. I have started flying my DJI P3 again and ordered a set of goggles to make it even more fun. Flying should be fun and I just don't feel that way when I fly the Typhoon, wondering what will go wrong this time! I fly about 20 hours a week and like the DJI/Flylitchi app that allows for auto flight and way point flight. I bought the Typhoon as a second choice but now think that was a waste of money comparing them. Just my perspective and only after flying both for quite some time.

Reactions: agrafton
The operative sentence " Flying should be fun and I just don't feel that way when I fly the Typhoon, wondering what will go wrong this time! I" this might sum up a lot feeling from fellow drone pilots. Should be fun and enjoyable !!!
Alan

2nd day I flew my brand new Q500+, front left prop flew off from 90 feet high and needless to say, it dropped free fall damaging the gimbal and 3 props. Sent it to Yuneec and after a week, I got an email from Yuneec with a case #, that was April 6. One week later, I called and was told it hasn't been looked at by a tech. 2 weeks later, April 20, I called again and same reply, hasn't been looked at. 3 weeks later, April 27 and you guess it, no one have ever touched it yet. Wow, very frustrating. Yuneec customer service is good, but that's about it, they're there to talk to you if you call, they're quick to reply emails, but they suck on repair and aftermarket service. I really have no idea when will I get my bird back.

In all fairness, when my Yuneec is working correctly it does respond and take nice 4K Videos, this is a YouTube video and takes a few seconds to smooth out. Sadly this is only one of a few videos since Nov of last year and THIS IS MAY 1st 2016 I should have many many videos....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval