Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Propeller with or without O-Rings?

While the o'ring does not serve as a lock washer it does serve as a friction washer, and does the job quite well. I have hours on the original props and o'rings. Thought I would have to replace one or the other by now. Tighten 1/2 to 3/4 turn after contact. It's obvious something is not right about your setup. Could be a motor locking up, small threads, speed control malfunction, motor out of balance................something.
Yours flipping suggests something major wrong. I've tried to get mine to flip, can't, even taking advantage of a heavy wind, too stable.
Thanks - I also think there is more wron with the Drone than just O-Rings. I did return it to Yuneec and they said it's Fine. Yuneec seams stright up with their Customer service, but in the back of my mind I agree that there must be something more than just O-Rings

Hi Az Nick, I noted your comments and everyone here and found it interesting to the point where I started to look at my own situation, I have never had a prop
fly off. I also have a set of Aero-Naut props which I think are great and only ever hand tight them that way I get a better feel for how tight they are on.
But I did some checking and found the following interesting which may help you.
I have about 50 hours on my Yuneec 4k and the O rings are original and found that the top of them had flattened and was smooth due all the screwing down
on them so I took them off and measured them and they have become thinner and where also dry so I replaced them with the new ones in the box and the props
seat much tighter as per original and new.
Something else I found is that the Aero-Naut prop does not touch the rubber O ring when screwed down I compared with and without O ring and that's what I found
but the Yuneec props screw onto the (and seat) O Rings.
You do a lot of jobs (flying, props on and off) in any one day so maybe the O rings need to be looked at and may be a reason why they are coming off, or one particularly anyway.
I will be interested as to what you find after a close look at them.
Cheers, JV
Good thoughts Satellite View
I will keep up with updates on this post

There is no hard braking effect or reversal, that is nonsense and also smaller thread is rubbish they are all manufactured to the same tolerances.
So I would continue to look for tightness as a reason.

Last edited:
Had two fly off first time powering up. Saw a Yuneec sponsered video...... Shows tightening 1 to 1 1/2 turns with nutcracker after the prop touches the O ring. I can barely get 1 1/4 turns after O ring touch however this solved my prop issue.

OK – I don’t understand the Logic of a rubber washer, I have the O-Rings installed under my Propellers and I now have had a 3rd Prop fly-off. Once more the prop flue off when I was landing, just inches from the Ground. No damage to the Bird the Prop or me! I use my Drone to fly roofs from my Home Inspection business, bought the Q-5004k for two reasons; Photos or Video at the push of a button in flight and this aircraft is so quite, my Phantom II sounds like an oversized weed wackier people come out of the wood work to see what the noise is all about when I’m flying! I bought my Q-500 last November and have only used her for one Inspection; she went up about two feet and flipped! I places my Phantom II up for sale the night before the crash and but I pulled the ad the next day! I’m still flying my Phantom II almost daily (sometimes twice a day). I am to the point where I’m afraid to take the chance on my Q-500 4k crashing into a neighboring home or injuring someone, I’m going to go out in the Desert and fly my Q-500 in a large open space,but until I fully understand why I’ve had 3 Props fly-off, the Q-500 will not be used in Public.

I’m wondering if maybe it’s the O-Rings or if it’s a bad Motor shaft – I’m confused on this whole thing!

General Question: to fellow Q-500 users: Who is using the O-Rings under the Props and who isn’t? Is Props flying off common or a Fluke?
Hi,
The procedure for tightening the props is: Spin the props on until they seat on the rubber washers. Then use the tool supplied with the Q500 (commonly known as the nutcracker) to hold the motor body, then tighten the prop with your finger 1 to 1 and a half full turns. The idea behind the rubber washer is it acts a bit like a spring washer and it is supposed to hold the props in place. I've had my Q500 4K for nearly a year now and have never had a prop spin off in flight. If you're following the prop tightening procedure as I've described and your props are still flying off, then there's some kind of fault with your bird. Are you sure you haven't over tightened the props and maybe stripped the threads on the motor shaft or inside the prop?

Hi Ren 57, I think your comments are spot on and I agree, if he follows your procedure he should soon find out
the cause.
Cheers, JV

Flown 10+ times already and no prop spinoff. I check them at every battery change as well.

OK – I don’t understand the Logic of a rubber washer, I have the O-Rings installed under my Propellers and I now have had a 3rd Prop fly-off. Once more the prop flue off when I was landing, just inches from the Ground. No damage to the Bird the Prop or me! I use my Drone to fly roofs from my Home Inspection business, bought the Q-5004k for two reasons; Photos or Video at the push of a button in flight and this aircraft is so quite, my Phantom II sounds like an oversized weed wackier people come out of the wood work to see what the noise is all about when I’m flying! I bought my Q-500 last November and have only used her for one Inspection; she went up about two feet and flipped! I places my Phantom II up for sale the night before the crash and but I pulled the ad the next day! I’m still flying my Phantom II almost daily (sometimes twice a day). I am to the point where I’m afraid to take the chance on my Q-500 4k crashing into a neighboring home or injuring someone, I’m going to go out in the Desert and fly my Q-500 in a large open space,but until I fully understand why I’ve had 3 Props fly-off, the Q-500 will not be used in Public.

I’m wondering if maybe it’s the O-Rings or if it’s a bad Motor shaft – I’m confused on this whole thing!

General Question: to fellow Q-500 users: Who is using the O-Rings under the Props and who isn’t? Is Props flying off common or a Fluke?

how tight issit??

leave to rubber o-ring on the motor...

i usually tighten the props using the prop-tools... hold the prop-tool at the very end of the handle...grip the tool lightly and tighten your props untill the motors spins in the prop-tool......its like a simple torque wrench...

AlRighty Than – That’s about all we can say about using the supplied Tool, I truly understand how the Motors spin in both clockwise and counter clockwise directions, I thank you all for your comments

ANYONE know how to turn a Post OFF?

OH by the way, I replaced the Props (Yunnec standard brand) and the O-Rings and have had 5 flights without an incident!

Check the props before every flight. The O rings will allow the prop to "stick" to the motor and not spin off.
Think of Loctite in a way that keeps the props on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval