Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Purple artifact at sunrise/sunset

Reaction score
Any way to eliminate the purple artifacts at sunrise and sunset? A filter? If so which one. I've tried to eliminate it in post, but haven't really been successful.YUN00587.jpg

That kind of lens flare is usually controlled with a lens shade, but it will be ineffective if you have the sun (the light source) in the frame. You may be able to minimize it with a polarizing filter, but you will need several pop ups for 30 seconds to make several adjustments and find the best position.

With the sun in full view, you will almost always see a lens flare. I have found the best sunsets are when you have some cloud cover in front of the sun to act as a filter themselves. For the past couple months I have been popping up in the backyard at the end of a cloudy day and have found that like most photography; you'll shoot a lot of pictures to get one that is just so. In addition, if you have the ability to shoot raw - do. A sunset is a very difficult situation for a camera as you usually have a bright sky but the land is no longer seeing the high light so the difference between Over and underexposed is at it's maximum. A DNG will capture that span far better.

My guess is; if you had taken more pics, spaced maybe 30 to 40 seconds apart for the next several minutes after the one you show here you would see better results possibly. As the sun sets that penetrating light that causes lens flares subsides quickly.

Here the sun was peaking between a cloud layer while still fully above the horizon.

Final01.png

feel your pain great advice from @Ty Pilot as always
great thing with digital you can take lots of pics (my last sunset i took 55 pics think there is 15 without the flair )
pass it off as artistic licence some times it looks cool but the rings are the big problem like yours Screenshot_29.png had plenty of them in a few
keep shooting them like i am my aim is to get some looking as good as @Ty Pilot s

Reactions: Ty Pilot
great thing with digital you can take lots of pics (my last sunset i took 55 pics think there is 15 without the flair )
pass it off as artistic licence some times it looks cool but the rings are the big problem like yours View attachment 13722 had plenty of them in a few
keep shooting them like i am my aim is to get some looking as good as @Ty Pilot s

Try this next time you 're flying. Record video rather than pics, unless you are using raw images for processing.
Use GomPlayer to capture one of the many frames from the video. Then manipulate using software.

No post production on this, used GOMPlayer to capture pic from video.
If I go to post production, I use LightRoom and Photoshop keeping it at PNG file, never JPEG for my clients.
View attachment 13723
another great pic
have just read both post reply to this as they both mention gomplayer
and you mentioned lightroom that i now have. Have you captured stills from video in lightroom i noticed its there and seen some videos on it still learning the basics so not ready to get into that yet but wondering for a later date

pass it off as artistic licence some times it looks cool but the rings are the big problem like yours View attachment 13722 had plenty of them in a few
I was trying to get a hyperlapse, so 378 pictures...all with the flare...lol

I was trying to get a hyperlapse, so 378 pictures...all with the flare...lol
**** what a pain
auto crop the rings out of all pics programs online free for that
and then

thats what i would do being a complete novice have to give it a go and see whats its like just for the sake of the time you spent getting the shots
hope you do would like to see it

another great pic
have just read both post reply to this as they both mention gomplayer
and you mentioned lightroom that i now have. Have you captured stills from video in lightroom i noticed its there and seen some videos on it still learning the basics so not ready to get into that yet but wondering for a later date
All my video into still are through GomPlayer first, then into LightRoom, from there Adobe to reduce to 1920x1080.

Last edited:
Reactions: rdonson
Is there an internal option with the Typhoon H to be able to do these time lapse videos?

Never mind found the answer. Now my question is, can these be brought into Premier Pro to create the type of time lapse video as I’ve seen above? Or do I need to use the software stated above?

With the sun in full view, you will almost always see a lens flare. I have found the best sunsets are when you have some cloud cover in front of the sun to act as a filter themselves. For the past couple months I have been popping up in the backyard at the end of a cloudy day and have found that like most photography; you'll shoot a lot of pictures to get one that is just so. In addition, if you have the ability to shoot raw - do. A sunset is a very difficult situation for a camera as you usually have a bright sky but the land is no longer seeing the high light so the difference between Over and underexposed is at it's maximum. A DNG will capture that span far better.

My guess is; if you had taken more pics, spaced maybe 30 to 40 seconds apart for the next several minutes after the one you show here you would see better results possibly. As the sun sets that penetrating light that causes lens flares subsides quickly.

Here the sun was peaking between a cloud layer while still fully above the horizon.

View attachment 13721
Wow, now that’s a great picture.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trepox