Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500 4k my 1st Yuneec drone

Reaction score
After flying the Phantoms for a while I really wanted to try the Q500 due to its size and most of all the ST10 ground station, I got sick of having to hall my tablet's around to fly. I got a good deal on used Q500 4k at Adoroma. I had to have them send out new batteries the ones they sent had bad cells so didn't get to really put it through good test. I have to say its a little different from flying the phantoms didn't seem as responsive I'm pretty sure it was the bad batteries. I called Yuneec and have to say I was impressed, got a call back to me in less than 15 MIN, I told them the drone was used and what the flight was like and he gave me recommendations on what to due when I get the batteries in. Never really had to deal with DJI customer service phantoms and aspire never gave me issues,but every one I know that had to were not very happy. I would be interested to know what do use to clean motor I have the storage covers for the motors coming, I also was not happy with the gimbal mount it would not lock the gimbal down to my liking so I ordered new one from Carolina Drones with a few other things got them in two days They are awesome to deal with .Long story Longer Just wanted advise on what to look out for with the Q500 4k.

Just wanted advise on what to look out for with the Q500 4k.
There isn't really much to watch for with the Q. It was designed as a stable camera platform and it does that very well. It is not a racing machine for sure but it is very reliable.
You may encounter "snap yaw" when flying into the wind. That is caused by the wind pushing against the camera. If you keep the camera pointed downwind you won't have a problem. Be careful about getting too much altitude if you aren't sure about winds aloft. A few people have reported flyaways when it was really just carried away by 30 mph wind when flying too high. If you plan to fly high, fly upwind, never downwind.

Reactions: specsalot
I have experienced your "snap yaw " It was windy . Also thought I had lost control that same day a couple times . Seemed the Q was drifting and at times moving quite fas and I wasn't touching the sticks . HOWEVER that was not the case . The clouds behind the drone were moving very quickly and created the illusion that the Q was drifting . It was not drifting and all the video I shot that day is rock solid spot on . The problem was the operator had a loose nut behind the drivers wheel !

Reactions: Steve Carr
Ha...been there as well. It always makes me laugh after I realize what's going on. :) :)

Received Venom 7100 batteries today so got a chance to test the Q500, was a little windy and cold today so didn't do much just low slow pattern's taking a few shots and short video no issues. Looking forward to warmer weather. impressed with how smooth it fly's, Batteries make a big difference was not at all comfortable fyling with the old ones.

I am curious to what you mean by cleaning the motors and storage covers. I keep mine in a case. So dust should not be an issue. But is there some sort of maintenance program I am not aware of?
Also, my camera doesn't really lock onto the Q500 that well either. It slides on but never snaps into place. I was thinking of adding a zip tie, just in case.
I was going to try and bend the tab down a bit. But it is mt luck to always break things while trying to do so.

I am curious to what you mean by cleaning the motors and storage covers. I keep mine in a case. So dust should not be an issue. But is there some sort of maintenance program I am not aware of?
Also, my camera doesn't really lock onto the Q500 that well either. It slides on but never snaps into place. I was thinking of adding a zip tie, just in case.
I was going to try and bend the tab down a bit. But it is mt luck to always break things while trying to do so.
No program, I take apart and lube the bearings and use soft brush to remove any dust on my helicopter Motors after 40 or so flights. Also gives me a chance to check shafts ECT for wear, don't think it's necessary on drones just wanted to see if anyone was doing it anyway. I replaced the gimbal mount and locks fine now I am going to order two more I don't trust that mount not to do the same thing again. I only got the dust covers for extra protection when its out of case and blades are not on.

Reactions: EricH
Picked up 2 Q500 4Ks from a Newegg refurb deal around the 2nd week in January. One for me, one for my dad.

It took forever to get the gimbal mount off mine the first time, like that little flexi-lock button thingy was jammed. Once it came off, it wouldn't and still doesn't snap back in place. However, I haven't had it slide off in flight, and I don't think it will due to the unit not tilting forward far enough to cause it to.

It also took forever to install the battery. At first I thought the D-shaped sleeve around one of the battery terminals was reversed, since the D-shape around the pin inside the compartment was facing the other way. I know the manual says not to force it, but I forced it, and once it went in the first time, it was fine. Now the battery snaps in and stays in.

I live on a hill, so the only time there's no wind is when it's 102 LOL
But haven't had it get away from me yet because of the wind, even at 400 feet high, which I was expecting to happen that high. It actually seemed more stable when it got above 200 feet, so I guess the topography is influencing surface level winds.

I really like the distortion-free lens! I always wondered if people were putting fisheye lenses on GoPros, since all the videos I've ever seen from them looked horrible due to the fishbowl effect. There's some fisheye higher up, but not as intense as what I normally see in GP videos.
I guess if I was looking to recreate Accept's Midnight Mover video, that sort of effect would be good, but otherwise, I find it nauseating.

I kinda-crashed mine while banking to the right and didn't elevate fast enough, and I jammed the props into the dirt and made the motors stop. But, rebooted and dusted it off, and it's right as rain.

My dad crashed his on his first launch, and broke 3 props, and ripped the gimbal mount apart and off the copter. I was heartbroken for him. But, it all went back together, and doesn't appear to have suffered any permanent damage. Luckily they came with extra props, so he was able to play with his new toy.

I did find a place to get more spare props and a couple of batteries, because I'm sure this won't be the first crash for either of us.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval