Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500+ Howdy all.

Reaction score
Just got my Q500+ and fairly new to drones, had 2 ARdrones, one I killed knocking a beer over on top and the other flew away. Have been researching better alternatives and from all the reviews of all the different models the Yuneec wins hands down.

My googlefoo is strong and I have been digging up info left and right but wanted to ask those veterans of this bird for any hints/tips/advice/mods etc.... I have found over the years getting info from hands on owners of (insert device) are usually the most accurate.

Sorry for the long winded post and happy flying to all.

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Yuneec Pilots forum Rnlcomp. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Yuneec UAV’s.

Enjoy your new Yuneec! ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
Well after a much anticipated trial run, I put her in the air about 200', **** this thing flies great, awesome pics and video as well, safe to say even the newest of noobs should have no problem getting airborne. Just don't use the home mode when in an area not so open like my back yard. Doh.. Smacked the fence before I could switch to angle mode. Guess I know now why they give you 2 sets of props to begin with LOL.

Completely blows my expectations away in all aspects, flight, and photography. Very happy with this purchase.

The return to home is absolutely broke - the Phantom will land within 3 feet however while the Yuneec will land at the right spot it can be anywhere in the 26 ft circle it marks as the home point. Seems Yuneec is worried about hitting the pilot on the RTH mode but in doing so with such a broad area it jeopardizes other people who could be spectators.

I just use RTH to get me close. Then switch to ANGLE when it's 3'-6' off the ground.
RTH works great. I like the 20'+ buffer zone. And spectators should be by me, not near my LZ. If there's someone in that area, I land elsewhere. Simple.

You're correct - the temp work-around is to hit the RTH switch and when shes starts her descent just jump out - In any case - this problem needs to be addressed, the machine is not landing anywhere near where it took off!

In addition while the feature is for the beginner it works against him because he's not going to have a clue what's happening and is going to freeze up and let it land on somebody or something just as the guy who started this thread. With the accuracy of the Yuneec's GPS the 500 should land close to where it took off **** that's the safe spot where the pilot was before he engaged the switch. In addition, the pilot is going to step back if its over his head right?

Last edited:
To land where it took off from wouldn't work for me. I walk around a lot while flying, so I like that 'home' is the controller.

For 99% of the pilots the system works fine with the exception of the fact Yuneec did not use the take-off point to land.

Bottom line - after just a few flights there is no reason any pilot would have to use the RTH to actually land the helicopter, as soon as the machine is in view, you should move to "Angle Mode" to land. All landings should be done by the pilot himself simple for the fact every time you allow the model to land itself you risk immediate damage to the camera and gimbal or even the machine machine itself if there is an obstacle or un-level area.

First rule of aerial drones is to not depend on the automation feature unless its absolutely necessary.

Agree RTH should land it within a foot or two, not 15' away. After that 1st flight and crash while using RTH I quickly adapted to landing my self (which is surprisingly easy by the way).

Could have saved me a set of props and a few battle scars. Maybe they'll issue another firmware update if enough people complain. Before someone gets hurt that is.

Keep up the faith - the Typhoon is a good machine once you understand what's happening - my advice is to keep it in Angle mode and fly the **** out of it - no one learns to fly a drone in a few months - burn as many batteries as you can and put the machine in as may positions as possible - don't rely on automation - when you have a job to do - only you the pilot will be able to complete it.

Regards - Mike

Well after a much anticipated trial run, I put her in the air about 200', **** this thing flies great, awesome pics and video as well, safe to say even the newest of noobs should have no problem getting airborne. Just don't use the home mode when in an area not so open like my back yard. Doh.. Smacked the fence before I could switch to angle mode. Guess I know now why they give you 2 sets of props to begin with LOL.

Completely blows my expectations away in all aspects, flight, and photography. Very happy with this purchase.
how was the impact any damage on the body?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval