Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500 motor issue

Reaction score
Hi. The front left A rotor spins only briefly when start-up button is pressed, get 10 white flashes, then one red, and the unit beeps every second. I replaced rotor, esc, and did the firmware update, put on GUI and all seems fine.
I get EMER on controller on upper left info panel of the ST10

What is causing that, is it the motherboard. Thanks,

Thank so much for your quick response. Yes I plugged it up and all looks good. Did the esc assignments.

Although possible, It is not likely a problem with the main board. All four motors come off the board on just one pin. The signals for all four motors are on that one pin. The signals intended for each motor are coded for only that motor. Also, the four "hot" wires and the four "ground" wires are from two common busses shared by all four motors. It just seems if the mainboard had a problem, it would show up on all motors, not just the one.

Assuming for now the issue is NOT the mainboard, it might be best to explore the history of the problem motor/ESC combination. We can come back to the mainboard later if needed. It would be good to have some expanded history and details of the issue, such as:
1.) What was the original problem that led to changing out the motor/ESC?
2.) How does the original problem compare to what you see now?
3.) Are the replacement motor/ESC new?
4.) You described some LED flashes and beeps in the first post. Were those coming from the rear main LED or were they from the LED under the motor?
5.) Did you use a multimeter to ensure all power wires and all control wires to that motor are intact and free of short circuits?
6.) Are the wire colors soldered in accordance with the drawing below?

Q500 ESC Motor Wires.jpg

1-2-3-Same problem that led me to change both motor and esc. Both new, yuneec original parts.
4-Rear main led, 10 white, then red. Constant beep from craft
5-No didn't do that, will do a test. What Am I measuring, wattage?
6-Yes, made sure
Again thks

1-2-3-Same problem that led me to change both motor and esc. Both new, yuneec original parts.
4-Rear main led, 10 white, then red. Constant beep from craft
5-No didn't do that, will do a test. What Am I measuring, wattage?
6-Yes, made sure
Again thks
"What Am I measuring, wattage?"
Continuity. Check the main power wires from the mainboard to the ESC to ensure it is intact, check between the two power wires to ensure they are not shorted. Then do the same for the smaller control wires. It won't do much good to check the ESC to Motor contacts with the motor wires in place. They will just show pretty close to dead short, and that's normal.
The LED and audible codes you have described is not a familiar one. Maybe some other members, or @Steve Carr or @h-elsner will recognize them. Is the constant beep all the same tone, and at an even pace?

For troubleshooting, it might be worth a try to disconnect the power wires, unplug the signal wire, and then power the craft up to see if the codes appear when the ESC is not connected to the main board. Ensure the power wires don't come into contact with each other, of course.

I apologize for asking more questions. But regarding the original problem:
1.) Were there any known events between the last time it worked normally, and the first time it did not. Things like a crash, a disassembly for maintenance, a firmware update, a long period of storage, or anything else you can think of.
2.) Were you the original owner? If not, do you know any of the history that might provide a clue?
3.) Is the main flight battery fully charged and in good condition?

I think my english is too bad to understand the descriptions of the symptoms right. Scratching my head...
The main mysterium for me is that ST10 as well as LED/sound reports motor error but GUI not. Both ST10 and GUI have the same data sent by FC. Hmm. Hadr to say what's going on without having that thing on the table.

Speculating out of the blue, I would say one or more clamped (pinched) control wires. Are the control wires correct twisted? There may be interferences between power and control in case of high current on power wires (high current = strong magnetic field).

br HE

Reactions: WTFDproject
Sorry guys, thanks for all this, have been super busy and will be till Wednesday. I will review all the points, check wires, and post a video of the startup and what's hapening. Thanks again,

Reactions: WTFDproject
Hi, in taking the top shell off and getting ready to video the occurrence, I started checking all the wiring. My replaced esc is hanging waiting to be put be in. By using the GUI I managed to get the motor to spin. So I have a faulty connection. What threw me off is the error was identical before and after esc change. But now I think it is the little white connector. This copter was bought already in this state, and like many owners, the guy who sold it to me had bought a new motor and esc, but never replaced it. I have another Q500 bird that I crashed badly 10 days ago (you don't even want to know its condition - and I managed to see the full innards of the CG03 ! ) and I will try to replace that white connector. I will repost my results. BTW this body was a Typhoon G with the GoPro gimbal. Finally fyi, I also just bought a full brand new Typhoon Q500 4k with all the bells and whistles (charging plate, battery tester, polarising filters, 16 extra props, and guards, the case with travel handle and rollers. It was the last one from Amazon.ca. The only thing I'm missing is the hand Wand. Has anybody tried it with the TYphoon Q500? Thank you again for the guidance. Love these birds, love the fact you can play inside them. The image quality and the flight stability are just what I needed.

Reactions: Peter b
Glad you have your bird. Love mine also, I have owned a wand but never used it. Many have so good luck!!

So I have a faulty connection. What threw me off is the error was identical before and after esc change. But now I think it is the little white connector. and I will try to replace that white connector.
It is a rare enough set of symptoms to start with. Having an identical repeat after changing the motor/ESC is an enormous chunk of "rare". Unless the problem is something other than the Motor/ESC. If "the little white connector" means the part of the connector on the wire, that's a pretty good suspect to check, as well as every inch of the wire and the solder joints on the mainboard.

Also, are you sure you actually changed the ESC? It is pretty easy to get "old" and "new" mixed up on the workbench, and reinstall the same one you just took off. (I know an old guy that did that. I ain't saying who it was, but his picture is staring at you from my Avatar.)

Reactions: Peter b
Again thanks for all the input. Yes I did put in the new one, the since the problem was identical before and after the change, It gaot me the inkling to follow all wires, separate overlaps, in checking the esc wiring I took the time to make sure each (orange, brown, red) wire was well set in the end connector
(white) see pic and at the other end (small white connector). Whatever I did it solved the problem, it was probably a microshort. So its flying now, and I'm always just a bit worried that that microshort could vibrate its way back. But now, it seems ok . Wishing you clear windless skies. 20210618_193725.jpg

Reactions: Chris Koch

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval