Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500 not responding quite right

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone ahead of time for their assistance. My Q500 4K has probably 15 short flights on it and last week because of a bad battery I had a hard landing. It did like a slow motion roll over and just cracked 1 prop. No other damage. Bought new battery and calibrated compass and accelerometer. Checked st10 and found j4 not returning. Cleaned pots and rechecked ok. I checked st10 with GUI with what knowledge I have, I seen no errors. When I go to lift off, it seems like the throttle has to be pushed too far up for it to become airborne. I sensed something wrong and pulled the stick all the way down and it reluctantly touched back down and I held the red button and it shut down. Is it possible that my calibrations didn’t get done correctly? My biggest question is does it matter where the turtle rabbit slider is when calibrating and watching videos of compass calibration, some turn the bird left some turn it right, and again different turtle rabbit positions.
I can’t remember if you should have the slider to turtle when lifting off? Maybe that’s my whole problem? I’m just being over cautious? Thanks again for any input

I can’t remember if you should have the slider to turtle when lifting off? Maybe that’s my whole problem?
Yep, I think it's that. I remember having the same problem with my TH one day, which turned out to be nothing more than slider inadvertently set to Turtle Mode.

AFAIK it doesn't matter where the side rotaries are when you calibrate the compass. However that very much DOES matter if you are ever calibrating the ST-10, where both should be at center at both the start and end of the calibration process, or it won't work.

Thank you. I believe I had it in the turtle mode during cal. The st10 is calibrated without GUI and the st16 uses GUI correct?

Thank you. I believe I had it in the turtle mode during cal. The st10 is calibrated without GUI and the st16 uses GUI correct?
Just to be sure Aero, both gimbal and speed sliders get set to center for accelerometer and st10 cal?

Actually, now I research further, I am less sure than I was ! :)

I know for sure that the St-16 requires those sliders to be central, but I must admit I had merely assumed that would be the same on the St-10. But whereas every video tut for calibration on the 16 mentions the importance of the K sliders being central, that doesn't seem to be the case for the videos relating to the ST-10, so perhaps I was too quick to jump in there...

I got conflicting information watching videos as well Like I mentioned originally, even the compass cal I notice some people turn it to the left some to the right. It almost seemed like I had no low to mid range rpm increase when lifting off but I was in turtle mode. I can’t remember if I ever lifted off in turtle mode

I got conflicting information watching videos as well Like I mentioned originally, even the compass cal I notice some people turn it to the left some to the right. It almost seemed like I had no low to mid range rpm increase when lifting off but I was in turtle mode. I can’t remember if I ever lifted off in turtle mode

I do remain fairly sure that neither compass or accel calibration are related to your lift-off problem. I think both would have failed if you'd done them wrong. Maybe it can't hurt to recalibrate St-10 with the side sliders central, then re-try launch in Rabbit mode, and see how you go ?

Sounds like a plan. I’ll remove the camera and find some taller grass just in case I run into an issue and can’t hand catch it
Thanks for your help

I always launch in rabbit mode. Get it off the ground and climb to about 20-30 feet and let it sit there for a few seconds.Check your sat count in the box and ready yourself for your already pre-planned course.
Once your off the ground and you feel the need to slow things down, then change to turtle mode.
As to compass calibration.In the beginning we were told to rotate left.Later it changed and we were told to rotate right. Having been use to the left rotation, I have had trouble remembering to rotate right. It has never made a difference for me.Rotate left or right, I get the exact same results. A calibrated compass.
Good luck and happy flying,
Jafo

Thank you for the reply. The Q flies slow for me in turtle unless capturing video it’s nice to slow it a bit. I just couldn’t remember if I ever launched in turtle mode which may explain its behavior. The prior flight I had a battery incident causing a rough landing and that’s why I am being over cautious

I shouldn’t even say it but to-date no crashes or damage to either my q500 or my H
Maybe that means I need to get the H+!

Consider landing in turtle mode as well to avoid prop wash when your coming down that can cause the Q to lose stability.Try Landing at an angle to avoid the wash as well.Straight down is never a good idea with the Q.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval