Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500+ or Q500G?

Reaction score
Since I have a GoPro I was all set to buy the "G" model, but I notice 500+ is only $100 USD more. Now I'm confused as to which to get.

The "+" would give me the ability to start and stop recording remotely where the GoPro would have to be turned off and on manually before and after flight. And $100 bucks more I'd be getting a camera and use my GoPro for.... uh, mmm, other activities!

I'm just not a fan of the white body of the "+"...

What would you do?

What would you do?

Hi, I have the 500 4K with the CGO3 and I'm not really happy with the quality.

This info comes from GoPro. I do not know if it is really possible to control a GoPro so fare away.

Wi-Fi Range

Wi-Fi Remote Range:

• The Wi-Fi Remote can control cameras up to 600 feet away under optimal conditions.
GoPro App Range:

• This depends on the smartphone/tablet device that is being used. Contact your device's manufacturer to find out information on Wi-Fi capability for your particular device.

Reactions: QuadBart
Thanks for the info.

You say you aren't real happy with the quality of the 500, would you please expand on what particularly you think is poor quality? Today, given other choices in Quads, like DJI or Chroma, etc... would you buy the 500 again?

Thanks, again, I'm just trying to make an informed decision when I buy and know exactly what I'm getting into :)

Hi, I have the 500 4K with the CGO3 and I'm not really happy with the quality.

This info comes from GoPro. I do not know if it is really possible to control a GoPro so fare away.

Wi-Fi Range

Wi-Fi Remote Range:

• The Wi-Fi Remote can control cameras up to 600 feet away under optimal conditions.
GoPro App Range:

• This depends on the smartphone/tablet device that is being used. Contact your device's manufacturer to find out information on Wi-Fi capability for your particular device.

Hello Quadbart, my 2 cents worth here, I'd say get the 500+ with the CGO2, that's what I have and am very happy with it. The 4 K is generally good from most perspectives I've read, I got the Q500+ because at that time the 4 K was still around $200 to $300.00 more and I didn't think I'd be using the full 4 K resolution at all so why pay for it over the 1080p CGO2? Plus the file sizes are pretty large in 1080p anyway and even larger with the 4 K camera for videos.
I know from the Facebook Q500+ group site many like the range of camera settings in the CGO3 4 K over the CGO2 like shutter speeds, slow motion etc, and you can pick the ISO and other settings for still shots. With CGO2 the shutter speed is just a few available and no still camera settings.

I also know quite a few like but don't love the GoPro usage like having to start the camera before flying etc. I always liked the idea of seeing what the camera sees on the screen of the built in controller and not having to use my phone or attach a tablet so since the factory cameras are so much better now, and I have GoPros myself, I wanted to go with the factory camera.
While I've read there seems to be a bit of a quality control issue with the CGO2 and CGO3 camera lenses with some having more and others less lens distortion, they're still way less lens distortion than GoPro, and you can start and stop, take pictures all from the controller instead of having to have the GoPro going before you're in the air.

Hello Quadbart, my 2 cents worth here, I'd say get the 500+ with the CGO2, that's what I have and am very happy with it. The 4 K is generally good from most perspectives I've read, I got the Q500+ because at that time the 4 K was still around $200 to $300.00 more and I didn't think I'd be using the full 4 K resolution at all so why pay for it over the 1080p CGO2? Plus the file sizes are pretty large in 1080p anyway and even larger with the 4 K camera for videos.
I know from the Facebook Q500+ group site many like the range of camera settings in the CGO3 4 K over the CGO2 like shutter speeds, slow motion etc, and you can pick the ISO and other settings for still shots. With CGO2 the shutter speed is just a few available and no still camera settings.

I also know quite a few like but don't love the GoPro usage like having to start the camera before flying etc. I always liked the idea of seeing what the camera sees on the screen of the built in controller and not having to use my phone or attach a tablet so since the factory cameras are so much better now, and I have GoPros myself, I wanted to go with the factory camera.
While I've read there seems to be a bit of a quality control issue with the CGO2 and CGO3 camera lenses with some having more and others less lens distortion, they're still way less lens distortion than GoPro, and you can start and stop, take pictures all from the controller instead of having to have the GoPro going before you're in the air.
It's also very difficult to remove the camera every time you want to remove the SD card and you also have to remove the video link wire to charge the GoPro battery and then you have to put it all back together every time before you fly. It's a real obstacle course trying to get the GoPro into the gimball and then screw the little knob and place every time you want to charge the GoPro battery or pull out the SD card to watch it.

It's also very difficult to remove the camera every time you want to remove the SD card and you also have to remove the video link wire to charge the GoPro battery and then you have to put it all back together every time before you fly. It's a real obstacle course trying to get the GoPro into the gimball and then screw the little knob and place every time you want to charge the GoPro battery or pull out the SD card to watch it.
Here's my 2 cents but being Canadian I should say 1.5 cents. I have the Q500+ with the CG02+ 4K camera. My first quad and the first time with a camera other than my cell. After taking my first video I took it to work and everyone I showed it to couldn't get over the clarity and the colour. I was amazed at how still the video or stills were. Someone into photography no doubt sees things that I never will. I'm quite happy with what I have. The only thing I would do from here is upgrade later to a better Q. Thanks for reading this.

Here's my 2 cents but being Canadian I should say 1.5 cents. I have the Q500+ with the CG02+ 4K camera. My first quad and the first time with a camera other than my cell. After taking my first video I took it to work and everyone I showed it to couldn't get over the clarity and the colour. I was amazed at how still the video or stills were. Someone into photography no doubt sees things that I never will. I'm quite happy with what I have. The only thing I would do from here is upgrade later to a better Q. Thanks for reading this.
Thank you for commenting. I really like the 4K camera also. Panasonic did a fine job on it for the q500's

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval