Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Question.. seriously.. why have..

Reaction score
....the common folk become so paranoid of drones ????

I mean shoot, I was at the park today flying my TH, just getting in some practice, nothing more, listening to my toonz ( I know I know, relax.. LoL), and all of a sudden this woman in her 60's shows up & was trying to say something to me, well obviously I couldn't hear her, and was paying close attention to the S16, so I really didn't think anything about it until I was done flying..

So, long story short, there's a garden area inside the park where I do my practice flying, and apparently that's where she came from, so with all due when I was done flying I walked over and asked her "could I help you with something", & oh boy , she apparently wasn't too amused with my TH & didn't want to be recorded blah blah blah, & I assured her that I was just practicing with my bird and nothing more, and she seemed fine with that... but still, i'm in a public park on a gorgeous day (75, blue skies, no wind, just the perfect time to fly around), & yet, this woman has a beef.. I don't get it.. has paranoia amongst the masses gone to the point where they just don't trust hobbyist's ??

Makes me wonder if I have to drive out 100 miles out into the middle of nowhere, just to be able to fly.... Sure, the Typhoon-H isn't your average 4 prop drone, and yes it could look a little intimidating (Sky-Net style) to those that don't understand tech stuff, but still, I understand times are different and all, but ****, can't a fella' just go to the park and fly his drone ??.. Such a gorgeous day, I mean really.. has anyone else had issues lately ??.. or is it just me ??

NW.

• Angry
Reactions: RiFF RaFF

Media hysteria mainly. From exaggeration, to outright making stuff up (see Gatwick airport drones debacle etc), the media of the world has managed to successfully make about half the general populace immediately suspect anyone they see flying anything as being up to something nefarious. It is a considerable disappointment to remote pilots everywhere. I don't know why people think they are going to get privacy in a public park, but they do seem to imagine they can demand it, especially if their precious children are involved. Nobody, on the other hand, seems remotely bothered that everyone is carrying around an HD camera on their phones, and freely film anything they like wherever they are !

I don't like flying in public parks - I get fed up of peoples' dogs not being under their control, and making my landings much more stressful, and of course trying to stay a clear 50 m away from everyone. So I usually do a day of research on Google maps first, trying to find picturesque landscapes that are a fair way out of town, and only have the occasional passing walker to worry about... usually makes for more rewarding sessions, but of course with the ever increasing over-regulation we all face, finding these places gets harder every day...

Sometimes though, and more often than not, if I am honest, when I am in parks most people that come over are interested, and want to watch or ask questions in a non-hostile way, which restores your faith in humanity a little bit when it happens....

Last edited:
LoL.. dogs!.. yeah, dogs aren't really sure what the **** is going on.. I like to hover over a dog about 15 feet & just drift back and forth , they look absolutely puzzled, and at the same time realize they can't reach it.. hahahahah.. and then their masters are looking like "wow, I wish I had one of those", and then zip up to about 500ft.. good stuff right there!

.. but yeah I hear ya, "Media Hysteria".. that was my guess as well.. people that don't understand tech are people that are still running Win 3.1.. In my opinion, you either get with what's what (Modern applications) , or you plug in your dial-up modem..

& fall in line with those who just don't get it!

NW.

Take out your smart phone and start recording video and nobody gives it a second thought. Launch your sUAS with a camera and you are now some social pervert spying on people… go figure?

Microsoft Office Pro 4.2... 25 3.5 floppies :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: Steve Carr
LoL.. imagine drones during the "MySpace" age.. smh.. but to get back on track, has anyone else had this type of experience, basically of people or a person that is upset because you're flying ??.. This was a 1st for me, so I wasn't really sure what to think, but to keep this woman calm & reassure her that I was just practicing flying & she should have nothing to worry about.. but still, talk about paranoia.. goodness grief!

NW.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Progress in computers is great, but the lack of support in writing drivers for expensive equipment when OS’es change is very frustrating. I have high dollar graphics tablets that can no longer be used due to this.

As far as paranoia of drones go, I saw very little of it flying my Breeze, but do get odd looks from people when flying my Typhoon H. I’m not sure why so many think a camera 50 feet in the sky can see so much more than smart phone at 25 feet. Most of it stems from media hype and shows that depict drone technology that we only wish we could afford or get in the size we fly.

Reactions: AeroJ
There are 'KARENS' everywhere!
Be careful - they are absolutely insane!! I guarantee you will have more INSANE problems from them than would would a 'normal' (I emphasize NORMAL) man.

I had an 'ANNONYMOUS' Karen post a hate spewing rant on our neighborhood FakeBook site SCREAMING IN ALL CAPS that 'someone in the area was spying on her (removed by moderator) daughter while she was (removed by moderator) in her backyard pool'.

That was MY drone at 400 feet AGL while teaching my Air Force EOD son the fun of learning to fly a drone. I had him flying over the road, and NOT over anyone's property around the block at - like I said - 400 feet AGL. Looking at the video - we didn't even see her (removed by moderator) daughter (removed by moderator) in the pool.

All the KARENS - female AND male just need to 'LIGHTEN UP FRANCIS'.

Triggered Intensifies.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Between annoying people and police that don’t know anything about drone laws regulations ect . It can be annoying I have had similar problems with people with kids it’s like iam flying 300 ft up and your worried that I might crash into your kids smh. I had a woman call me a criminal and told me it was illegal for me to fly and take video of her like first off it’s not illegal for me to fly my drone in a public park and to leave me alone and if she has a problem call the police...... she called the police and to make a long story short she was arrested for public intoxication and child abuse. She was drinking with her kids in the car driving around all crazy ..
but most people think it’s really cool and ask questions about it .

I mean shoot, I was at the park today flying my TH, just getting in some practice, nothing more, listening to my toonz ( I know I know, relax.. LoL), and all of a sudden this woman in her 60's shows up & was trying to say something to me, well obviously I couldn't hear her, and was paying close attention to the S16, so I really didn't think anything about it until I was done flying..

So, long story short, there's a garden area inside the park where I do my practice flying, and apparently that's where she came from, so with all due when I was done flying I walked over and asked her "could I help you with something", & oh boy , she apparently wasn't too amused with my TH & didn't want to be recorded blah blah blah, & I assured her that I was just practicing with my bird and nothing more, and she seemed fine with that... but still, i'm in a public park on a gorgeous day (75, blue skies, no wind, just the perfect time to fly around), & yet, this woman has a beef.. I don't get it.. has paranoia amongst the masses gone to the point where they just don't trust hobbyist's ??

Makes me wonder if I have to drive out 100 miles out into the middle of nowhere, just to be able to fly.... Sure, the Typhoon-H isn't your average 4 prop drone, and yes it could look a little intimidating (Sky-Net style) to those that don't understand tech stuff, but still, I understand times are different and all, but ****, can't a fella' just go to the park and fly his drone ??.. Such a gorgeous day, I mean really.. has anyone else had issues lately ??.. or is it just me ??

NW.

Next time don't approach anybody and ask if you can help them.
People are weird some of them are just looking for an excuse to
Bi- -# at somebody.

Reactions: NWSaint
Worst I've had was a lady came to find us when we were filming some promo footage for an event. It was my brother's Phantom, and of course that's what the media always show.
We were flying over an empty school (holidays), and she had seen it from a block or so away, got in the car, and drove around looking for us.
"Is that your drone?"
"Yes. Why?"
"I don't want you spying on me! What do you think you're doing?"
"We're getting some footage of the school for a promotional video."
"Oh. Well don't film me...." And she gets back in the car and drives off.

What was worse was just as we were done and bring it down, this semi-drunk dude comes over and starts asking questions about how much it cost, how long can it fly... Standard "I wish I had one" type questions, but standing right in the most open part of the area we were using ?

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
Worst I've had was a lady came to find us when we were filming some promo footage for an event. It was my brother's Phantom, and of course that's what the media always show.
We were flying over an empty school (holidays), and she had seen it from a block or so away, got in the car, and drove around looking for us.
"Is that your drone?"
"Yes. Why?"
"I don't want you spying on me! What do you think you're doing?"
"We're getting some footage of the school for a promotional video."
"Oh. Well don't film me...." And she gets back in the car and drives off.

What was worse was just as we were done and bring it down, this semi-drunk dude comes over and starts asking questions about how much it cost, how long can it fly... Standard "I wish I had one" type questions, but standing right in the most open part of the area we were using ?

Yes some people really are goofy.

Reactions: Ron sinclair
LoL.. imagine drones during the "MySpace" age.. smh.. but to get back on track, has anyone else had this type of experience, basically of people or a person that is upset because you're flying ??.. This was a 1st for me, so I wasn't really sure what to think, but to keep this woman calm & reassure her that I was just practicing flying & she should have nothing to worry about.. but still, talk about paranoia.. goodness grief!

NW.
Two days ago in Melbourne I took my H to fly over the piers of Princess Pier. I was on the beach as close to the pier as I could get without getting wet. I had to calibrate the compas as I'd travelled 800km from my last flight. Done all of that put the props and camera on and stood back to get ready to fly and fair nearly walked on a lady who was setting up her towel to get some vitamin D for the day. I mean, WT? The beach was empty bar 5 people and she come and plonks right next to me!
I politely said, "Oh, excuse me. I'm about to fly the drone and I can't have anyone within 30 metres of me. Can you please move?"
Her reply was: "So you're allowed to fly drones anywhere you like?"
"No, but I've logged and I'm within regulations to be able to fly here. I won't be long."
With which she collected her bits and moved into the middle of the beach horizontally and vertically to the water. Go figure!

Reactions: h-elsner

NW.
Ho not me, my experience is mostly positive ones. Take yesterday for instance,I was out flying for the first time in months (LOCKDOWN). I went to a spot that I used to go fishing, along the canal where it branches off into tree directions. Lots of people living there in their boats joggers and dog walkers etc. Anonyone that passed me commented on the drone saying intent that a beauty, one women even said that her husband would lone one of them. I replied saying well it's only a couple weeks till Christmas :). So now for me it's been a good experience bar once I was approached while flying on the Curragh, a large open space managed by the department of defence. The Curragh is only a few kilometers from my home. but were also in lockdown re Coronavirus at that time. So He told me that the aria wes closed to the public for flying :(
Mike

Has anybody else noticed that the bigger drone that you fly, the more bad attention you get? Here in NSW Australia i pull out my h520 and suddenly its like im holding a weapon... Well maybe not quite but people are literally lined up to accuse me of spying on them..
But, If i take the mavic 3 out, people will notice but i dont get anywhere near the attention that the bigger drone draws.. considering the mavic 3 could see them in so much more detail than the typhoon possibly could its crazy.
Ive also realised that if i stop my drone in mid air to just hover, even if its on the park side of the road Karen's come out from the woodwork to yell at you for spying on them.

Now i tend to fly mostly at night just to avoid being around people.

I think its a few bad apples that were lowering drones down to people's windows and peering in. This story that came from the usa had a big impact here. I also dont think people understand the capacity of drone cameras.
Ive no idea really, i just know that its gotten worse the past year.

No, lol its not basically illegal, its completely illegal. But the worst part is that there are people that think this is ok on their regular licence or even recreational flight privileges and dont realise that they need additional training, but its not just that, a lot of laws that arent always clear, especially when theres little information on the CASA site makes for a clash between laws from the USA, CANADA, USA, UK Australia and more
So we were thinking about putting together a free website asking people to submit questions they weren't sure of, so we could out the questions towards CASA so its not so easy for people to get confused.
Were just not sure of the best way to go about it as its not the ones with good knowledge that are falling flat its a real mix.....

Me and my wife have been thinking of putting a website together with information relating ro Australian drone laws because its obvious after asking certain questions to people that have their licences and getting different answers, its a concern that info people have are based based on laws from the USA, the UK alongside AUSTRALIA and to top it off, theres stuff thats a mix of CE, FCC and Australian standards as well as there being lots of laws that arent always clear or that even make sense

Reactions: NWSaint

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval