Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Radiometric Thermal!

Awesome! This will put a major star on the benefit of the H520E RTK over the Phantom RTK! We've been waiting on this long before the E models were released.

E20Tvx
Yes indeed is it a great news. Having said so one needs to be aware that E20Tvx dose not come from FLIR.
I have limited kowledge about thermal imaging but talked to people who do solar panels and said FLIR had some advantages with respect to processing datasets.

Reactions: chascoadmin
Yes indeed is it a great news. Having said so one needs to be aware that E20Tvx dose not come from FLIR.
I have limited kowledge about thermal imaging but talked to people who do solar panels and said FLIR had some advantages with respect to processing datasets.
There's no doubt in that. The problem with allot of these solutions is that they are not scalable and the Yuneec drones are as close to that configuration as anything I have seen that doesn't cost $30k+. The Matrice 300RTK with L1/P1 package is about $35k but they are in the same position with the L1 vs higher-end lidar sensors. We are not a survey company nor a full time thermography inspection outfit so the 2nd Tier sensors are plenty for us and still provide functionality that we currently don't have.

Just to provide some context...
E20Tvx = $6k
FLIR = $8k+++
Zenmuse XT = $10k

Zenmuse L1 (240k pps) = $13k
Survey Grade Velodyne/LidarUSA/Etc (1M pps) = $20-30k

The H520E definitely has enough lifting power so maybe someone will figure out how to mount a lidar sensor... 🤔

Last edited:
I've written up elsewhere where I have mounted a Flir Vue Pro R 640 camera. It's working well, but does have a shorter flight time with the weight.
I already had the Flir, so that's why I went this route.

If I had a lidar sensor I'd try that.

Andy

Reactions: chascoadmin
The H520E definitely has enough lifting power so maybe someone will figure out how to mount a lidar sensor... 🤔
Regarding the lifting power I must say that the 2.5 kg MTOM that was mentioned on the EU page for the H520 a while ago does apparently bring the power supply specs and built to its limit.
You might have heard about the E30Z camera that could cause problems with the battery contacts due to higher amp currents?
Yesterday I noticed for the first time a similar problem with my good old H520:
I flew a special AG sensor (NRG filtering for corn field inspection), a FLARM beacon, an E90 and all that mounted to a carrier device below the copter. MTOM: 2.33 kg, 335 g above normal.

Well the higher mass wasn't the problem over the last 2 years. But this time I flew 100 m instead of 75 m AGL and there were long mission legs against the higher winds aloft with over 30° pitch for 7 m/s G/S.
I noticed (and expected) the faster than usual battery drain and had to land earlier than usual to change the battery and resume the programmed mission. After the second landing of the resumed flight I did not remove the battery immediately as I usually do but instead programmed another mission for the next corn field T/O position. But when I then turned off the H520 and tried to remove the battery it was stuck inside the frame structure. So I moved the battery a bit back and forth and eventually I was able to remove it.
I took a look at the contacts and noticed that the vertical DC outlet's inner metal blade had a meltdown into the black plastic part. So actually the battery had gotten sticked to the inner DC contacts of the UAV...
I then took a look at the contacts of the preceding's flight battery and the same here: vertical contcat meltdown on the inner metal blade. After the first flight I did not notice the problem because the plastic of the battery and ship did not already melt together...
Learnings:
1) there is always a first time.
2) always check the contacts after battery removal for abnormal conditions (I used to do so but on this occasion I noticed that I somehow had stopped to use this routine)
3) even a 2.5 kg MTOM "specification" in this case (use at higher AGL, stronger winds aloft) did not prevent the operation going beyond the UAV's limits...

Reactions: YuneecFox
E30Z camera that could cause problems with the battery contacts due to higher amp currents?
E90X as well. H520E Battery Resilience

This is a very good point if the current is already pushing the limits of the power systems design then adding additional load may not be a good idea. Something like an L1 may still work though.

tried to remove the battery it was stuck inside the frame structure. So I moved the battery a bit back and forth and eventually I was able to remove it.
This happened to us as well with the H520 v1. Those batteries were really bad about swelling. I have not noticed anything yet on the H520E RTK.

Unfortunately with the lack of support we are the guinea pigs. No matter though because of the value over the P4 RTK I am willing to push ahead.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz