Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Real sense crash test

Not to honk my own horn...HONK HONK:eek:...but since I got my first RS H in July I have posted several videos here of the RealSense piloting the craft through and around trees, autonomously.:) RealSense is magical in Watch and Follow Modes.:D

Reactions: CC Rider
Greetings to you.

First of all, my friend, I wouldn't start off thinking you are an idiot just because you have a different opinion than I do. I never prejudge anyone. If someone is an idiot, then I give them ample time to prove it before I either join or lead the chorus that they are, indeed, an idiot.

Second, nothing you wrote or observed in that video indicates to me that you are an idiot, either. And I would not discount or invalidate your entitled opinion just because I have flown a Typhoon H more than you have. Quite often, in Life the student teaches the master (not that you and I are thrust in those roles). And I am always open to reason and learning from others unless our words and/or actions have excluded such a pursuit, which is not the case between you and I.

Third, just as I do not prejudge people, I also do not think I have the corner on the truth or about what is right or wrong.If you have about 8 hours of flight time under your belt and still have your H, then that translates into about 32 successful flights you have made. In my mind, that hardly qualifies you as a "newbie" or as someone whose opinions about the Typhoon H should be wholly dismissed due to a lack of experience with it. With 32 successful takeoffs, flights, and landings to your credit - as well as the hours I'm sure you have spent watching videos and reading about the Typhoon and its systems - your views and opinions deserve their full due merit and worth.

Finally, in all honesty it's been awhile since I viewed that footage, but give me a little time and I will review it again.(Today's a little crazy for me; my schedule is TOO busy for just one day!) I'd much rather speak knowledgeably to you than from just mere memory, which can always be faulty or sketchy. So, I'd be happy to discuss the facts of that flight with you soon.

Until then, I wish you safe flying and happy filming and photo taking. Weekend's coming up, so I hope you have the time and good weather to take to the skies. Talk with you again soon.
Thanks for the kind words. I was just playing around with the idiot thing. I didn't think you would. My condition of my other training quads would make you think otherwise on my successes and newbieness, (Ya, it's word, or it is now) but that's why they came before the expensive one ever saw lift-off. I know what busy looks like, just making a big move a few states away, so no problem on getting back to me when you can. I'll await your take on the video and my confusion. I have still yet to play with much besides angle mode and basic video while I'm aloft, so I just don't know enough to know what you saw. Looking forward to learning it though. Thanks again.

Reactions: Rayray
Rayray, I have seen your videos. But this is the deepest I have seen a TH fly into trees and come out unscathed. Some of those branches and twigs had very little foliage on them, making them even harder to detect and model.

The one thing to take away from the video is to always set an appropriate RTH altitude. The whole thing could have been avoided.

Thanks for the kind words. I was just playing around with the idiot thing. I didn't think you would. My condition of my other training quads would make you think otherwise on my successes and newbieness, (Ya, it's word, or it is now) but that's why they came before the expensive one ever saw lift-off. I know what busy looks like, just making a big move a few states away, so no problem on getting back to me when you can. I'll await your take on the video and my confusion. I have still yet to play with much besides angle mode and basic video while I'm aloft, so I just don't know enough to know what you saw. Looking forward to learning it though. Thanks again.

So nice to hear from you, Jester. With the great Typhoon H uniting you and me together, I think we have more things in common than differences. I very much look forward to talking with you further about the subject at hand. And, although I am hardly one of the most knowledgeable Typhoon pilots on this forum, any tips, help or advice I can offer you is yours for the asking.

Smart move to use training quads first before investing in something as complicated and expensive - to me, at least - like the H. I think many others would have benefited from taking such logical, progressive steps such as you have and still are taking. I am certain there would be a whole lot less reports of "defective Typhoons" crashing or accusations leveled against Yuneec if they had only mirrored your drone-learning experience and demonstrated the patience you have.

My heart goes out to you with regards to making your move to another state, miles away. I know firsthand ALL that entails and the work involved. I did the same thing years ago, leaving a good job I enjoyed and an incredibly loving family at little more than a moment's notice to pursue a young man's dreams and opportunities in New Mexico, some 2,000 miles away. Didn't know a soul in Albuquerque where I landed (I "decided" to move there simply by taping a U.S.map on my office wall one night, closing my eyes, and vowing to move to wherever my finger happened to land). I had no job lined up, no prospects, not much money saved up, and was going on pure instinct and youthful hope, which is a very powerful source of fuel. Packed up everything I owned and had it shipped to the Southwest, said my goodbyes to Delaware, and drove across country in a circuitous route as I did some sightseeing on the way out there to meet my destiny.

That move turned out to be one of the best decisions I have ever made and it drastically altered my life for the good. I hope your move also proves to be beneficial for you and yours, and that it furthers you as a man on his own unique (and Yuneec!) journey. Take care and we will be talking about that crash footage soon.

Reactions: Rayray and Jester
Rayray, I have seen your videos. But this is the deepest I have seen a TH fly into trees and come out unscathed. Some of those branches and twigs had very little foliage on them, making them even harder to detect and model.

The one thing to take away from the video is to always set an appropriate RTH altitude. The whole thing could have been avoided.

Not sure what RTH has to do with this topic.

For little foliage, recheck this from time 1:08

For deep intrusion, recheck this from time 1:20

I have even more extreme RS demo videos made lately, but not yet on YouTube.

Reactions: SkyDoctor
Not sure what RTH has to do with this topic.
In the video I referenced, the user hits RTH about nine seconds in. The trip into the trees would have been avoided with a RTH minimum altitude set to150 feet.

In the video I referenced, the user hits RTH about nine seconds in. The trip into the trees would have been avoided with a RTH minimum altitude set to150 feet.

Mine is set for 200 feet. However, the video does show how Real Sense can work and can help you, and help avoid unfortunate issues due to pilot error, or not having planned your flight path correctly or simply testing OBS. I think it works pretty **** well and as intended in the proper conditions.

Reactions: CC Rider
So nice to hear from you, Jester. With the great Typhoon H uniting you and me together, I think we have more things in common than differences. I very much look forward to talking with you further about the subject at hand. And, although I am hardly one of the most knowledgeable Typhoon pilots on this forum, any tips, help or advice I can offer you is yours for the asking.

Smart move to use training quads first before investing in something as complicated and expensive - to me, at least - like the H. I think many others would have benefited from taking such logical, progressive steps such as you have and still are taking. I am certain there would be a whole lot less reports of "defective Typhoons" crashing or accusations leveled against Yuneec if they had only mirrored your drone-learning experience and demonstrated the patience you have.

My heart goes out to you with regards to making your move to another state, miles away. I know firsthand ALL that entails and the work involved. I did the same thing years ago, leaving a good job I enjoyed and an incredibly loving family at little more than a moment's notice to pursue a young man's dreams and opportunities in New Mexico, some 2,000 miles away. Didn't know a soul in Albuquerque where I landed (I "decided" to move there simply by taping a U.S.map on my office wall one night, closing my eyes, and vowing to move to wherever my finger happened to land). I had no job lined up, no prospects, not much money saved up, and was going on pure instinct and youthful hope, which is a very powerful source of fuel. Packed up everything I owned and had it shipped to the Southwest, said my goodbyes to Delaware, and drove across country in a circuitous route as I did some sightseeing on the way out there to meet my destiny.

That move turned out to be one of the best decisions I have ever made and it drastically altered my life for the good. I hope your move also proves to be beneficial for you and yours, and that it furthers you as a man on his own unique (and Yuneec!) journey. Take care and we will be talking about that crash footage soon.

Yes Sir. Thank you. And I find no differences with you at all. In fact, some of the advice taken over the many months, was yours already.
That same fuel moved me to 5 different states before the kids came along. This is our final move to our dream property, and I'm sure it will be the best move yet. I highly recommend training quads to everyone with my type of luck. Since my first trainer plane took my pinky off before it ever even left my counter top, I was on thin ice with the Mrs. for getting anything with spinny things, so I did all I could to make sure I was as up to speed as I could be before risking any more money, or fingers.
Glad to hear your insane way of picking the next move was a good one. Congrats on that. I loved Colorado, and we kept our lake house there, but the winters I just can't do any more.

Ah so, my bad...did not realize you were referring to that video. I went back, to YouTube, and watched it. He said he was in Follow or Watch Me mode and hit RTH.

With RealSense active, and in Follow or Watch modes, there should never be a reason to hit RTH. I also see he did not raise the legs, and the camera jerking is weird. BTW, there are a number of good RS videos on YouTube, from all over the world.

In my opinion, the realsense tech from those Geniuses at Intel is one of the main reason for any sucesss that this hex has. If you think you need it or you feel you don't, you've got to admit there is nothing like and I do mean nothing like this tech in the drone market today.

In fact, one of my main gripes with Yuneec is that I don't think they Focus enough on this revolutionary tech as fully autonomously functioning machines take over the automobile market as well as the quad market. Finally, I have the (T H) with realsense in many follow me video sessions just to have folks stop and ask me, "Are you controlling that? Who's controlling it." When my response is, "It's navigating the tress on its own, I'm as blown away by it as they are. It can be somewhat unnerving sometimes how this thing stares in your direction whilst navigating obstacles all on it own. Visions of a world where terminators dwell pop in and out of your head.

P.S. I fell just as with the Apple corporation, this tech won't really come to prominence until DJI duplicates and incorporates this technology into one of their products. 3DR and smart shots anyone, anyone
I bet with the world wide amazement of the drone show during the Superbowl, and the news stories that followed it, there will be much more aggressive, (if only quietly and behind the scenes) pursuit of advancement in this technology. I bought the TH with RS because of how fascinating it was in videos, and how much safer it would make me feel having that safeguard in place, but just want to learn the hard stuff in angle mode first before I fell into just taking the easier, faster route of letting it do the work. I know my tendency of ADHD impatience could hamper my willingness to go back and do the hard work required become a good pilot so I figured if I started out using it's abilities as a crutch, I would become dependent on, or complacent with the easy route, and rob myself of much important learning and skill. I look forward to using it and to whatever it's future amazing abilities grow into. It's an exciting technology and has only just begun.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz