Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

RealSense Modes?

I've tried it in allsorts of situations. The realsense is only on when you have that switch fully down. Middle and top are off. If you turn it on during RTH, the thing will climb to the default 66ft or to whatever you set it to. If it comes across a tree 124ft tall, it will navigate around it etc... Even with the wizard in smart mode (default follow), the realsense is not on, you have to enable it. When it is enabled, the best way of telling that it is indeed on, is by observing the front nav lights (white) flashing rapidly - solid white indicates that it is not on.

All of this aside, it does cut the speed quite a lot (11mph max), but it works amazingly well - makes me laugh each time I use it. It also learns the environment, therefore, the more times you fly in the same place, the faster it will navigate it on subsequent occasions.
Hope this helps.
Chris.

So I spoke with another Tech from yuneec today and got a totally different answer. He said realsense is only on when we flip the obstacle avoidance switch. HE SAID, it's never automatically on, even in smart mode and RTH. Reason being it cuts the speed of the H and that may not be appropriate for all situations.

I've tried it in allsorts of situations. The realsense is only on when you have that switch fully down. Middle and top are off. If you turn it on during RTH, the thing will climb to the default 66ft or to whatever you set it to. If it comes across a tree 124ft tall, it will navigate around it etc... Even with the wizard in smart mode (default follow), the realsense is not on, you have to enable it. When it is enabled, the best way of telling that it is indeed on, is by observing the front nav lights (white) flashing rapidly - solid white indicates that it is not on.

All of this aside, it does cut the speed quite a lot (11mph max), but it works amazingly well - makes me laugh each time I use it. It also learns the environment, therefore, the more times you fly in the same place, the faster it will navigate it on subsequent occasions.
Hope this helps.
Chris.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have had a RealSense Pro since the middle of July (also have a regular H). Slate, this tech is entirely correct.

Chris my friend, You are also correct, as usual. The flashing front white lights, and when the RealSense spots an obstruction, the "Pings" you hear (I love those pings).

The RS Pro will only fly the craft by itself in Watch Me and Follow Me modes. You always must switch it on first. The front Sonar AND the IPS bottom Sonar are always active on the RealSense Pro, can not be turned off. In Angle mode, as noted, it works if ON but the craft must face direction of travel.

With the RS Pro, if you hit RTH OR if the craft initiates RTH (craft lost control signal but GPS is OK), Immediately switch the RS OA switch ON.
The exception would be if no obstacles are in the way and/or the battery is low. Always remember that the OA icon on the ST16 screen is green for RealSense active, and yellow for not available.

Mickey, the video can indeed be jerky and of little or no use in commercial situations. I love the self-piloting ability but that's just me. To me it demonstrates the future. Future meeting today, where the drone is autonomous, piloting your mission from here to there and back all by itself. A ROBOT of the sky.

Reactions: Christoph
Please can anyone define the THREE positions of the RS OA switch? Obviously the top position is OFF, bur what of the other two positions, and again, PLEASE Yuneec, some documentation would be very welcome

Another Real Sense question, I want to fly in glacial ice caves where light is dim...it has been stated that Real Sense needs light to function properly...well how much light does it need? If I'm just using the sonar what if anything is required for that to work properly. I've done indoor and cave flying before with Phantom's without GPS guidance and got good results but I want to test Real Sense and Yuneec sonar capabilities but I need some **** guidance on how this can best be done! I will also like to be flying into and out of the caves there I assume Real Sense would work pretty well. How do I go about adjusting sensitivity for Real Sense? I was told by a tech at USA Yuneec that distance is adjustable prior to it halting. I can't afford to wreck a drone experimenting since I will be in Iceland for 2 months...I'm bringing 2 drones with me and some spare parts but what I really need is some basic knowledge of how both Real Sense and sonar will work. Attached is picture from ice cave I flew in last year...don't you think a project like this merits some support from Yuneec in the form of some detailed information before I fly the H in there?Ice Cave.jpg

Regarding how I plan on flying in the glacial ice caves if I can't get any answers to my questions I've previously posted regarding Real Sense and Sonar. I will turn off GPS, slide down to "Turtle" setting and just fly....that is what I did previously with a Phantom but I would like to use some form of object avoidance if possible on my H Pro. Thanks to any experienced flyers who can offer advice on what they would suggest I do. How about Yuneec producing a video that informs us what to do? Can we lobby for that to happen?

Regarding how I plan on flying in the glacial ice caves if I can't get any answers to my questions I've previously posted regarding Real Sense and Sonar. I will turn off GPS, slide down to "Turtle" setting and just fly....that is what I did previously with a Phantom but I would like to use some form of object avoidance if possible on my H Pro. Thanks to any experienced flyers who can offer advice on what they would suggest I do. How about Yuneec producing a video that informs us what to do? Can we lobby for that to happen?

As far as I remember, don't Yuneec tell us to avoid shiny surfaces, when relying on realsense & sonar?

As I recall they talked about "smooth surfaces" like a painted wall...thank goodness the ice caves have plenty of texture, I did not ever see anything about "shiny" but I certainly could have missed it given there is no formal documentation in one place that I'm aware of...perhaps someone can verify this as well for us.

Thanks for sharing...I hope others chime in as well on their experiences with flying indoors and using either sonar or Real Sense.

Last edited:
Please can anyone define the THREE positions of the RS OA switch? Obviously the top position is OFF, bur what of the other two positions, and again, PLEASE Yuneec, some documentation would be very welcome

The top AND middle are both OFF. Perhaps the middle position will have use in future updates.

As I recall they talked about "smooth surfaces" like a painted wall...thank goodness the ice caves have plenty of texture, I did not ever see anything about "shiny" but I certainly could have missed it given there is no formal documentation in one place that I'm aware of...perhaps someone can verify this as well for us.

There is a reference to shiny surfaces in this documentation...

Attachments

• Typhoon H (RealSense version) Obstacle Avoidance Limitation.pdf
    341.9 KB · Views: 12
The top AND middle are both OFF. Perhaps the middle position will have use in future updates.
Top and middle has always been off and that was in the original documentation when you add the real sense then The only thing that is on is the OA and the real sense on the bottom of that switch.

thank you, I knew I had not dreamt it!

In your specific case, I do not think that limitation would apply as much... I have gotten the distinct
impression that they are talking about a more smooth, even reflective surface like windows or glass
surfaces on a building, or the metal skin they put on many skyscrapers in an urban environment.
The natural undulations of the ice surface would not create such a large reflective area.

Of course I would confirm with Yuneec on this. Would love to see some video from your ice-cave adventures. :cool:

I've just installed a RS module on one of my 'normal' Hs; as soon as it stops raining I'll go and test everything I can think of.

What are the remaining points of contention? I'll try it in Home mode with a small obstacle in the way, and I'll check what happens in Angle mode. I seem to remember from a very quick test flight that it will use RS to identify obstacles in Angle mode, but just stop you from pushing close to them rather than navigating around.

There have been plenty of follow me/watch me videos but I'll try and test that out too.

I've just installed a RS module on one of my 'normal' Hs; as soon as it stops raining I'll go and test everything I can think of.

What are the remaining points of contention? I'll try it in Home mode with a small obstacle in the way, and I'll check what happens in Angle mode. I seem to remember from a very quick test flight that it will use RS to identify obstacles in Angle mode, but just stop you from pushing close to them rather than navigating around.

There have been plenty of follow me/watch me videos but I'll try and test that out too.

Out of interest, what documentation came with the RS module? (if any)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gautamadani