Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Rebirth of the H920

The modifications proposed for the H520, will these new payloads add weight and decrease flight time ? I saw the video posted and do not speak German, these payloads appear to me third party. I received an email regarding a new program for third party products if I am correct ...

Yes, they are third party. Yuneec wants to add support and communication for third party systems. In the video they had the examples of controlling the brightness of Lumecubes and releasing payloads like that little, orange rescue kit they have shown. They also want to certify these third party systems in order to allow you their use without voiding the warranty.

They will obviously add a little bit of extra weight. I do not think this will be an issue.

The 920 is a very robust airframe. Using the 6s power supply, motor KV, propeller size, and system fuse setup as a guide, we can average power numbers from similar arrangements from other manufacturers to establish the 920 should have a lift capacity close to 30lbs. Such a capacity offers tremendous payload and flight time flexibility.

Should Yuneec be serious about resurrecting the 920 and offering more payloads there is one area the system needs improvement prior to a new release; the ESC’s need to be more accurately timed to match performance to the motors. In the original state the ESC timing is incorrect and can induce “boom flutter”, with one or more booms fluttering under load. Incorrect ESC/motor timing can also be determined audibly. If we hear “screeching” during throttle transitions we have ample evidence of timing issues.

Currently, the only way to correct it is by replacing the main board assembly while hoping the replacement has better timed ESC’s than the board currently being replaced. Alternatively, Yuneec might consider installing an ESC timing port in the system to provide a means for repair techs to correct timing issues. ESC timing is a simple process when access to ESC’s is available.

Fix that and they will have a superb heavy lift base platform. I have found the 920 in almost all aspects a pleasure to fly.

Reactions: thoneter
@PatR That's just what they are about to do. Motor timing by the ESCs is improved (or even ESCs changed?!) and the props are redesigned as well. All due to get more out of the platform as up to now. They realized there's a lot of loss due to poor motor management. The high angle-of-attack resulted in a high thrust but on the other hand created a lot of drag, unpleasant downwash and a very poor "glide ratio" (don't know how to call it otherwise?!?).
To me it seems, like they - feels like the first time - really develop a product instead of just throwing it into the market - probably hard words, but lookin' back to the past there were a lot of bugs which wouldn't have appeared by a closer view during development. As I mentioned before, it was quite nice to talk to the guys at their booth and hearing that they (at least the techs and the German division) know about the flaws and that the "news" also arrived at the Chinese HQ. So I'm looking forward with quite some enthusiasm/optimism.

If they are expending that much effort I hope they’ve realized more than one type of prop needs to be employed. The design work can for the most part be eliminated by changing the prop bolt mounting pattern to one used across the large multirotor industry. Mission specific props could then be obtained from various manufacturers.

Heavy lift, slow and high and speed props require different pitches. For multifunction tools to work they need to be adapted to the desired function, and the special prop bolt pattern currently in use is a severely limiting factor.

From all appearances it sounds like Yuneec may have teamed up with people that actually know what they are doing. Time will reveal the results.

Saw another video, posted on an H520 thread by PAW;

In that video they show a flyer with potential specs of the re-born H920;

Also that 5 lens camera looks amazing. Have seen a prototype on Facebook and it was intended for the M200 series, so looks like the developer is branching out!

Also up to a 3kg load? Its a beast!

Capture1.PNG

Saw another video, posted on an H520 thread by PAW;

In that video they show a flyer with potential specs of the re-born H920;

Also that 5 lens camera looks amazing. Have seen a prototype on Facebook and it was intended for the M200 series, so looks like the developer is branching out!

Also up to a 3kg load? Its a beast!

View attachment 18591

7km range control? Is Yuneec developing a new signal transmission system? If so, it’s about time.

7km range control? Is Yuneec developing a new signal transmission system? If so, it’s about time.

Yeah saw that too. Dont know what "OFDM" means rregarding the range. Maybe angling towards BVLOS due to the 1hr flight time when lightly loaded.

Yeah saw that too. Dont know what "OFDM" means rregarding the range. Maybe angling towards BVLOS due to the 1hr flight time when lightly loaded.

I stay withinVLOS 100% of the time, however a more locked in stronger signal would be awesome. I hate when my TH is 600 feet away and my video signal pixelates, doesn’t happen very often but in reality it should never happen.

Also loving the idea of a lidar system. That would be a **** of a business case to put to the boss!!

So up to 3kg payload
Up to 1 hr flight time with lighter loads
Up to 7km range (with no silly 99-waypoint limitation)
Option of RTK GPS.

Those are good specs. That would be some serious competition for DJI.

EDIT: what, I cant say h e l l ?? Thats a bit sensitive!

Reactions: Adamg1180
The technology displayed at InterGeo is beyond comprehension for me. All of which DJI could easily afford to recruit into their engineering arm. The price point of these "enterprise" solutions will not be affordable to most of even the "well healed". All of this technology will increase exponentially, in short intervals, and will require constant replacement to remain competitive for all concerned. I would love to see this exposition in person. I am not sure how Yuneec could remain a player against what I am seeing.

Reactions: Pawel_(PL)
That 3kg T/O weight can’t be referring to a 920. It weighs more than that in it’s current state. Mine weighs closer to 5kg than 3.

The technology displayed at InterGeo is beyond comprehension for me. All of which DJI could easily afford to recruit into their engineering arm. The price point of these "enterprise" solutions will not be affordable to most of even the "well healed". All of this technology will increase exponentially, in short intervals, and will require constant replacement to remain competitive for all concerned. I would love to see this exposition in person. I am not sure how Yuneec could remain a player against what I am seeing.
Indeed.
Most of the oblique cameras like that one showcased by Yuneec I.e. 5 lens ones costs somewhere around $20k plus.

That 3kg T/O weight can’t be referring to a 920. It weighs more than that in it’s current state. Mine weighs closer to 5kg than 3.

Pat that mention of 3kg in the flyer is stated as payload capacity. This is very exciting to see the work they're doing to revive this system, will definitely be follow this.

Reactions: Mostbestus
That makes sense. If we were to use thrust values derived from the components used in the 920+ we would see the platform had been capable of an all up weight close to 30lbs or so.

I designed and made these for a client using the Microsense RED Edge works on any of my interchangeable mounts (for Inspire, Typhoon or Disco). Also available for Sequoia.

1636600089608.png

This is on Parrot Disco

1636600182817.png

This is on Inspire 2
The same applies to H520, 480 . There is a top mount for the sunlight sensor

1636600416815.png

This shows top and bottom rear mounts on 520 or 480 (with different cameras ) they are all interchangable

I designed and made these for a client using the Microsense RED Edge works on any of my interchangeable mounts (for Inspire, Typhoon or Disco). Also available for Sequoia.

View attachment 26871

This is on Parrot Disco

View attachment 26872

This is on Inspire 2
The same applies to H520, 480 . There is a top mount for the sunlight sensor

View attachment 26873

This shows top and bottom rear mounts on 520 or 480 (with different cameras ) they are all interchangable
Nice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval