Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

RID postponed until March 16th, 2024

Ent
More info--they're saying it's the FAA's fault for not approving more remote IDs 🤣
After reading the document, I believe it is the backlog of approving FRIA’s that was placed on the shoulders of the FAA.

There are several modules approved, but price and availability are well outside of what was expected when the Sep 16 deadline was set.

It also states that the delay in enforcement is discretionary until 16 Mar 2024. This allows for enforcement to be administered on a case by case basis. So if you are doing something really stupid they can still whack you for not being RID compliant.

After reading the document, I believe it is the backlog of approving FRIA’s that was placed on the shoulders of the FAA.

There are several modules approved, but price and availability are well outside of what was expected when the Sep 16 deadline was set.

It also states that the delay in enforcement is discretionary until 16 Mar 2024. This allows for enforcement to be administered on a case by case basis. So if you are doing something really stupid they can still whack you for not being RID compliant.

Oh yes, you are correct.

Steve. 6 months or not, RID is a bad concept and will never stop the drones not manufactured with RID modules inside. from being flown by many. Eventually of course all the older drones will be in the drone graveyard. Two things: first, most commercial and public service folks will simply buy new drones. Last, to include local law enforcement in policing RID will be a nightmare...
I have 2 different RID add-on modules, costly and add too much weight.

A big winner in this is DJI, already touting their new drones with RID.

A big winner in this is DJI, already touting their new drones with RID.
RID was originally proposed by DJI. They pushed the FAA to adopt it. I believe their plan was to be the only authorized seller so all other manufacturers would have to pay them for rights to use it.
The only benefit I can see to this program is high density metropolitan areas. The other 99% of the country has no need for it.

The RID is useful for all pilots. Everyone would like to know who is in the near vicinity. The fundamental problem is the lack of standards about the band, carrier, and protocol related to the downstream.

At least H 480 is ready to send anything without any heavy equipment on it (ESP32 module only will be more than enough) but have no reason to share ideas or to waste my time until all questions are cleared by the FAA. The industry has the same position.

For sure all approved devices will be freed soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loansjagat