Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

San Francisco Prohibiting Drones on Area State Parks and Beaches

PatR

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Seems the city/county of San Francisco has elected to enact an ordinance prohibiting drones at state parks and beaches. Seems a bit of an over reach to me but until and unless the ordinance is overruled there's not many places left to fly in the Bay area.

Folks, we very badly need a national drone users association. At one time we had started up a group named ACUAS but it had been intended for the promotion of commercial operations. We let it go because none of us had the time or resources to devote to it. Perhaps it should be resurrected with some modifications for the intended user group. Groups like AUVSi are absolutely not in our corner, with their focus mostly on the promotion of commercial use UAV's aligned more with government and large industry use. Another organization that is worth supporting is the Drone Users Group. They've managed to get a representative into the voting group for the next ARC committee.

Here's Where You Can Fly Drones in the Bay Area

Last edited:
Reactions: spongella
All our Hunterdon County (NJ) parks are banned to drones, along with rockets and other RC airplanes so I hear you. I asked for permission to occasionally fly in our many spacious parks and I'm an employee of the county but as per the clerk who answered my phone call it was still a firm no. I can understand that given the public's perception, but our county parks ban many types of activities so I don't feel singled out as a sUAS hobbyist.

I asked for permission to occasionally fly in our many spacious parks and I'm an employee of the county but as per the clerk who answered my phone call it was still a firm no.

If they give one person the okay than they'll have to give everyone that asks, the okay.

Another prohibition is present with flights at or over federally managed dams and lakes. I have a lake nearby administered by the Army Corps of Engineers that can't be over flown with a drone regardless of the launch location. The fear is photographs of "infrastructure." Doesn't matter that anyone with a hand held camera is perfectly fine taking pictures, from land or water, but not with a drone. You can over fly with manned aircraft, but not a drone. The infrastructure of concern resides next to a public road that is not monitored. They developed an agreement with the FAA that even prohibits flights launched from private property neighboring the lake. I obtained a copy of that agreement to review myself. Note this restriction is not just this lake, but any that are federally managed.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop