Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Saturday afternoon test shots

Now the problem is that you and @Steve Carr have made me regret buying 2 H's and 2 920's. Can't afford another drone. The shot is truly awesome. What settings did you use for the pano and what software did you use to adjust the image?

Last edited:
That is really excellent. Truly.

My issue with pano is the 50/50 split on the horizon; your great photo showed me (dang) that composition is supplanted by subject. Both 'halfs' of the shot can stand on their own, and together are tremendous. Well done. And mother nature :)

Now the problem is that you and @Steve Carr have made me regret buying 2 H's and 2 920's. Can't afford another drone. The shot is truly awesome. What settings did you use for the pano and what software did you use to adjust the image?
Thank you! I used the built-in panorama shooting mode ISO 100 at 1/125 shutter. DNG + JPEG, white balance set to cloudy and a Freewell ND16 filter. I ran the four (DNG) frames I wanted to use for this composition through Lightroom, then merged them in Photoshop. Finishing touches (dynamic contrast, sharpening, & noise reduction) were done in Nik filters. I did run a version of this through Aurora HDR, but it looked overcooked for my taste so I dumped it.

That is really excellent. Truly.

My issue with pano is the 50/50 split on the horizon; your great photo showed me (dang) that composition is supplanted by subject. Both 'halfs' of the shot can stand on their own, and together are tremendous. Well done. And mother nature :)
Thank you! Well said. I'm not usually a fan of splitting the frame 50/50, but the single shots I took to dial in the composition didn't look good with any more or less foreground and sky. This was all mother nature. I just had to be there to try to capture it.

Thank you! I used the built-in panorama shooting mode ISO 100 at 1/125 shutter. DNG + JPEG, white balance set to cloudy and a Freewell ND16 filter. I ran the four (DNG) frames I wanted to use for this composition through Lightroom, then merged them in Photoshop. Finishing touches (dynamic contrast, sharpening, & noise reduction) were done in Nik filters. I did run a version of this through Aurora HDR, but it looked overcooked for my taste so I dumped it.
That's what I do but it's good to see what others do. Mother nature is also a great model

First post here. I took the plus out this afternoon to get acquainted with the camera controls. Came away with some decent video and a nice pano of an incoming storm just before sunset. I love the camera on this drone!
View attachment 10832
Did you do the dual layer pano? I'm assuming you did. It would be nice to see this in 360.

Did you do the dual layer pano? I'm assuming you did. It would be nice to see this in 360.

Nope, that is a single layer pano... looking at the lighting over all, dual layer would not do much for the image other than give the 360 option. All the "action" in the lighting is happening at (and just above), the horizon. And well done, @ricky_martian ... Nature does all the work, but having the ability to anticipate being in the right place, at the right time... that's where the skill is.

Last edited:
Nope, that is a single layer pano... looking at the lighting over all, dual layer would not do much for the image other than give the 360 option. All the "action" in the lighting is happening at (and just above), the horizon. And well done, @ricky_martian ... Nature does all the work, but having the ability to anticipate being in the right place, at the right time... that's where the skill is.
Didn't he state that he didn't use all the images? I thought maybe he just used the first 4 of the 16 images. Whether you do a single or double doesn't change the images being shot or their quality.

Didn't he state that he didn't use all the images? I thought maybe he just used the first 4 of the 16 images. Whether you do a single or double doesn't change the images being shot or their quality.
You're correct, the image quality is whatever settings are used... and I believe the OP stated that he chose 4 images for this composite, but he did not state which panorama setting was used. Either way, as I think the final image as rendered is skillfully executed.

Reactions: thoneter
Thank you! I'm not sure I know that there is a difference in the settings for dual layer vs single. The pano mode shoots frames in 360 degrees. Kind of cool that you don't need to re-frame manually. I would need to go back and look at the stack, but I believe there were 8. I did only use four as the light opposite this composition was ...... well, boring.

The next one of these I do will be a true HDR (+1|0|-1 EV) for each composition and at least 4 frames wide. The dynamic range of the C23 is impressive so this type of thing will rarely be necessary. I just want to know that I can if I want to. Looking forward to finding a landscape and light that warrants that much effort!

Thank you! I'm not sure I know that there is a difference in the settings for dual layer vs single. The pano mode shoots frames in 360 degrees. Kind of cool that you don't need to re-frame manually. I would need to go back and look at the stack, but I believe there were 8. I did only use four as the light opposite this composition was ...... well, boring.

The next one of these I do will be a true HDR (+1|0|-1 EV) for each composition and at least 4 frames wide. The dynamic range of the C23 is impressive so this type of thing will rarely be necessary. I just want to know that I can if I want to. Looking forward to finding a landscape and light that warrants that much effort!
8 would be single layer. 18 would be dual layer. The first 8 are done at 90 degrees. 2nd 8 are done at 45 degrees and the last 2 are done almost straight down. I like the dual layer because you can always pick and choose the ones you want plus because the 2nd layer is done with out the sun/sky in it the WB and colors are sometimes better. You can also with the first 2 rows pick and choose to make HDR because of the sun/sky changing the EV. My 480 always has issues taking the dual layer because the first row is always 90 degrees and many times the shot into the sun screws up the EV even when WB is locked.

Reactions: ricky_martian
First post here. I took the plus out this afternoon to get acquainted with the camera controls. Came away with some decent video and a nice pano of an incoming storm just before sunset. I love the camera on this drone!
View attachment 10832
Very well done.
The post tweaking was just enough.
With scenes like this the 2/3 horizon goal does not apply.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval