Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

SD card

I use the same card, the SanDisk Extreme Pro 64gb. Handles 4K with no issues and is big enough to record two batteries worth of video

Personally, Id stay away from memory cards using TLC flash (pretty sure ALL sandisk are, or at least they were last time I checked.) Your much better off with cards using MLC flash. I install IP security cameras for a living and most use on-board micro sd cards to record to. After a year or so many of my customers were having issues with the cards not being recognized or having errors constantly. Saw a service bulletin from the mfg and it had this in it:

====================
For a 32 GB flash memory used for full recording at 8 Mbit/s, occupying approximately 84 GB each day, the life span of the memory card can be estimated:

MLC: 634 days (32 GB x10000 write times (theoretical value) / 84 GB / 3 (practical value) / 2 partitions)

TLC: 63 days (32 GB x 1000 write times (theoretical value) / 84 GB / 3 (practical value) / 2 partitions)
====================

For most people they will be fine with TLC based stuff but I personally no longer use it at all in anything I own (IPcams, Digital cameras, etc). All mfgs either use TLC exclusively or a mix of TLC and MLC with the high end product line using MLC. They also seem to bury any info specifying what they use so its hard to find out without contacting them directly but ive had great luck with a particular model of Samsungs EVO line but dont have it handy at the moment. Do a google search on MLC flash cards and you will find some good choices.

What brought me to this forum topic is that I want to know what type of MicroSD card the COG support's.
(other than a maximum capacity of 128Gigs which is all the info I could find on the Yuneec site. )
UH1? UH3? MicroSD? Micro SDHC? Micro SDXC?

Also (but less important) what formats beside FAT32? Can it be NTFS? What about formatting a card on my mac? ext3? Or is FAT32 the only supported format?

Reactions: Az Nick
Single-level cell (SLC) and multi-level cell (MLC) Flash memory

First off I did not know there was a difference or a choose in technique, had enough to understand the choose in speeds, Right! SO thanks for the input.

MLC Flash devices cost less and allow for higher storage density.
SLC Flash devices provide faster write performance and greater reliability, even at temperatures above the operating range of MLC Flash devices.

These factors make SLC Flash a good fit in embedded systems, while MLC flash makes it possible to create affordable mobile devices with large amounts of data storage.

In order to select the right Flash memory for an application, it is important to analyze the how it will be used.

For example, product developers integrating memory into a portable barcode reader will most likely need SLC Flash since performance and durability are important.
On the other hand, a company building a portable media player will need the low cost and high density of MLC to price their device competitively.

Too read more there is a great post on SanDisk tech support response if you are interested

Which are MLC / TLC MicroSD cards? - SanDisk Forums

Single-level cell (SLC) and multi-level cell (MLC) Flash memory

First off I did not know there was a difference or a choose in technique, had enough to understand the choose in speeds, Right! SO thanks for the input.

MLC Flash devices cost less and allow for higher storage density.
SLC Flash devices provide faster write performance and greater reliability, even at temperatures above the operating range of MLC Flash devices.

These factors make SLC Flash a good fit in embedded systems, while MLC flash makes it possible to create affordable mobile devices with large amounts of data storage.

In order to select the right Flash memory for an application, it is important to analyze the how it will be used.

For example, product developers integrating memory into a portable barcode reader will most likely need SLC Flash since performance and durability are important.
On the other hand, a company building a portable media player will need the low cost and high density of MLC to price their device competitively.

Too read more there is a great post on SanDisk tech support response if you are interested

Which are MLC / TLC MicroSD cards? - SanDisk Forums

I read that post as well but unless im missing something they got it backwards. Everything I've read says the opposite, that you use SLC (aka TLC) when reliability isnt important and with the fact in mind that they have a very limited lifespan when constantly being written to. Geovision is the company I quoted in my post and they specifically say NOT to use TLC. I didnt even know what SLC was until I looked it up...but after reading more I also think things are different between flash cards and flash drives, which are similar but not the same. So I guess he could be right if hes referring to SSD drives but not flash cards. I didnt research it enough to know if im correct but from what I read that's how I understand it.

MLC Nand flash is much more reliable, with a much greater lifespan but the downside is slower write speeds. Sandisk is not my favorite company, and they have all this proprietary technology they use in their marketing marterials. In fact, if you read the rest of the posts in the forum where you found that you will see that when someone actually called sandisk to inquire about what type of memory they used they said they do not disclose cell information to the public as its considered intellectual property. Years ago I jumped on the Sandisk bandwagon and have since jumped off that train. I have actually seen mfg's state that they support all memory mfg sd cards except sandisk so that there is enough to keep me away from them. They have great marketing material and people seem to recommend them often because they do write fast and 90% of those people will never wear them out before they end up replacing their card or selling the device they use it with.

All I know is that when I switched to the MLC based MicroSD cards in my customers cameras all the problems they had went away so that's what I stay with in all my devices. I have a old sandisk 64GB card in my Canon 5DmarkII and its still working but It doesent get the constant writes like the camera cards get abused with.

My .02 anyway...

Reactions: BEE

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis