Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Should I go or should I stay?

Improvements I'd like to see for my PLUS.
1- Google maps as waypoints guidance, absolutely.
2- Added to above, Mission Planning using Google maps (not just CCC)
3- Yes, well stocked online store for batteries and all spare parts and upgrades.
4- Speed up the boot up time of the ST16's controllers, sure although not a big deal to me.
5- Cruise control would also be nice to have back.

How about.. Typhoon H 480 and the Thunderbird firmware? ;-)

:)

1) Yes, via QGroundcontrol. ~50 waypoints maximum.
2) Same as above, see:

3) Aftermarket and DIY ones, no vendor lock-ins or proprietary smart batteries here. Whatever fits inside somewhat, will work as usual. ;-)
4) Ditch the whole ST16 if you wish. Currently I have configured only support for the SR24, Yuneec's receiver, but if PPM/SBUS etc. are required, why not. Or commands over LTE/5G, whatever works for you. ;-)
5) No need for cruise control with this one (however it is still there), see:

Br,

TR

Last edited:
I like Mike's original post, nice job.

I would have liked the thread to stay pretty much on "How To Help" but it morphed it's way into a rant thread.

Personally if I'm not flying a Yuneec, then I'll fly something else, just like a car, if they quit making parts for that one then I'll find another.

Reactions: Mike Irish

I would have liked the thread to stay pretty much on "How To Help" but it morphed it's way into a rant thread.

Personally if I'm not flying a Yuneec, then I'll fly something else, just like a car, if they quit making parts for that one then I'll find another.
Depends how good the car is. There are scrapyards and sources usually available. Bit like the H, still a fair few bit available at the moment.

Or look at the Phantom, on CL thee are a lot of available for parts,

A lot of first time large drone buyers get intimidated just by what appears to be the shear complexity of the beast.
Like the two new in box "H's" in my area, one guy swears the drone hasn't even left the container,

Makes me wonder what possessed him to buy it in the first place, was it from video's on Youtube of a graceful flight over a very scenic landscape?

I almost didn't get very far into the hobby after my first flyaway, at the time it was an expensive drone for me, but I thought about all the events just prior to it's long trip over the forest not under my command, and it was pilot error, so I got another one and have decided not to make the same mistake.

I like flying little sport drones just like guy's who fly RC planes, but recreational air space is going to disappear as commercial drones from shipping companies start to dominated more airspace so,,,,,,,

The RC planes now need to find a legal field, and most have to be electric due to noise complaints, houses surrounding those fields have no trespassing signs so if it landed there you gotta call the phone number on the sign and hope they're home, or brave the dog,

Just sayin', let's keep it fun while we have the opportunity, and help each other out, like we are here on this forum.

When I write something negative referring to Yuneec It usually comes from closely following their previous behavior while considering actions of many other businesses over the years. As one that has been actively engaged in the RC hobby for close to 50 years I’ve by default also been involved with the hobby as it was consumed by cheaper Chinese manufacturing.

A few consistencies (patterns) have been observed during all that time, one of which is that Chinese based businesses are consistent in operational and communication methods. They do not in any way act independently like businesses in America. Because of their consistency predictive analysis becomes fairly simple, especially where business failure is concerned as every failed Chinese hobby manufacturer has done almost exactly what Yuneec has been doing. There’s quite a difference between a rant and predicting the future using years of “lived” history as a reference baseline.

Hi Calvin. I was hoping that I would have seen more interest shown in what improvements the members would like to see made to the Yuneec H platform. What I found was mostly members frustration and disappointment with Yuneec's failure to run a business that has so much potential. In saying all that I really like my H Plus, it flies so smoothly even in adverse weather. It looks so impressive in the sky and the camera quality is good also.
However there is still room for improvements. the camera still has a rolling shutter and fixed aperture.
I am still hoping that the members would add their thoughts as to what improvements they would like to see made to the H platform.
Regards.
Milke

Reactions: DoomMeister
If anyone took my posts as a rant, they shouldn't have. In fact I do consider it a form of 'help' to pass on knowledge that will lead new members into making more informed decisions when it comes to spending their hard earned money. I am not bound to any manufacture but I have always been very impressed with the Typhoon and still rave about it's potential while at the same time, try to explain where I think that potential is lacking and after all, the original post asked - 'should I stay or should I go'?

@Mike Irish

Definitely a thoughtful start to a thread, and a very good idea. I think if you do some nosing around on the Typhoon H Plus forums from the release of the H+ in 2018 to at least mid 2019, there was a thread or two that dealt with Yuneec asking what improvements users wanted to see for the aircraft, camera, controller, and software. There was a lot of good ideas that they harvested and put very little of it into the H+ system itself. Instead they took those ideas and used them to put together the H3 and introduce it at a price $700 above what the H+ was at launch.

Add to that the promises that were made to early adopters of the H520 system and the failure of Yuneec to stand behind them and you come up with the response to your thread that you are seeing.

You and others are recent members of the forum and have not lived through the history of it all. Many members are at the point of “fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me”. Trust only extends so far, hope just a little further, and when that runs out you just survive with what is left. I think that is where many of us are at with Yuneec.

I’ve stated several times that Yuneec would do well to clear house, get the originator of the company back, and start anew building off of the H platform.

Last edited:
Not trying to be negative, but I find it does everything i want, I don't use any of the more advanced functions it has, I've never used the wizard as long as I can fly it with manual input, I can see the need for people to use Uav toolbox and the host of features it as, of course video and picture quality are important, but I'm not producing videos for anyone but me, and video quality and stills are good, I've spent decades with manual cameras and lenses, it's nice to have Autofocus on a camera, which I benefit from, I'm not completely in the stone age! Of course pilots will want improvements, I understand that, at this moment in enjoying flying, trying different video angles and editing etc.

The H, H+, and 520 all do quite well with what they do. Reliability as a group is pretty good barring a gimbal issue introduced through a firmware upgrade with the H+. Had they definitively corrected that the H+ would be more than adequate for most photography purposes.

But they are all technologically “old” with the H+ and 520 “old” tech at the time of release. The H was “advanced” at time of release due to the 360* gimbal, with perfect stability carried forward from the Typhoon and Chroma series. A big departure from the norm was in providing a hex platform instead of a quad, delivering “motor out” redundancy that until then had been reserved for home and professional builds.

So all three platforms work. However, Yuneec chose to build 4 different platforms ( when including the H3) to provide features often contained in a single semi professional drone. Some of us have drones built back in 2012/2013 that provide all the functionality, and more, than all 4 Yuneec 480/520 drones combined. The only big advantage with Yuneec was/is the “in transmitter” video display that has to be done separately with older designs. But convenience only carries so much weight, especially when it carries degraded quality.

...I was hoping that I would have seen more interest shown in what improvements the members would like to see made to the Yuneec H platform...

You guys need to understand that we’ve already done this. A while ago. In agonizing detail. With the involvement of (what we believed) was a Yuneec insider. Much was discussed, requested, debated.......

What did we get? Nothing. No improvements, updates, payloads.....nothing. In fact, things just got worse with repairs, batteries, accessories.....when Yuneec finally did crawl out from under a rock, their response:

Spend $2600 on a new H3. So sorry about your old stuff.

So Much ill feeling towards Yuneec manley in the US from what I've red here by long term Yuneec owners. I suppose that this can be expected as spare parts dwindle in the US. I live in Europe and their are still spare parts available here ( Maybe just for the moment) Not really sure?
I was hoping engage with some long term owners that were thinking of upgrading their drones to the latest and greatest and see what features Youneec would need to upgrade to make the H platform enticing to them.
Take me for instance I have the H Plus and I got the magic wand thinking that it would come in handy for video work so I could control the H with the wand and have another control the camera from the transmitter. Well I was wrong it doesn't work with the H Plus what a letdown.
Mike

So Much ill feeling towards Yuneec manley in the US from what I've red here by long term Yuneec owners. I suppose that this can be expected as spare parts dwindle in the US. I live in Europe and their are still spare parts available here ( Maybe just for the moment) Not really sure?
I was hoping engage with some long term owners that were thinking of upgrading their drones to the latest and greatest and see what features Youneec would need to upgrade to make the H platform enticing to them.
Take me for instance I have the H Plus and I got the magic wand thinking that it would come in handy for video work so I could control the H with the wand and have another control the camera from the transmitter. Well I was wrong it doesn't work with the H Plus what a letdown.
Mike
The problem is we can state improvements to the cows come home, doesn't matter what our wish list is, it will fall on deaf ears, lots of improvements have been suggested by the forum users, but nothing will change they won't listen, they have their own agenda, so it's just a "what could of been" and "if only they added this". If you intend to stay with Yuneec then get the parts while you can, or look elsewhere. The Thunderbird project shows promise, but it's only as good as the spares supply available, so in the end it could dry up.

Reactions: aw. pier
I was hoping engage with some long term owners that were thinking of upgrading their drones to the latest and greatest and see what features Yuneec would need to upgrade to make the H platform enticing to them.
Mike

My post (#15) I addressed this. I recently 'upgraded' (or did I) ? to a Mavic2Pro and while the camera imagery is pretty good, it's not better. What is better is all of the control I have of the Mavic's camera - it's like having a little DSLR in the sky. Also I have control over all of the rates and expo's of ALL of the controls (very similar to what we had in the 480) - I can dial that ship in to my every whim. Finally it has programmable buttons that allow me to assign any number of functions to two buttons that are easily accessed.

These are front and center (to my mind) what Yuneec would need address to give the Typhoon that 'polish' that is lacking; and the competition has. The wand was a novel idea but as you found out it only worked with the old FC in the 480.

I still love my Plus, it is a very capable machine and I do NOT foresee consumer drones getting much better imagery any time soon. Even the new Mavic air with it's (supposed) 48 Mega-Pixel camera is just using gimmickry to take a 12 MP camera with a half inch sensor and quadrupling the size of the image. The 1" sensor drone will remain at the top of the consumer drone game for quite a while and this is due to cost. The Plus and 520 made it to a fairly high plateau in the consumer drone market and if one is willing to use it accepting it's weak spots it will remain a very capable drone but we need to be under no illusion; any improvements to it will not likely come from Yuneec.

@Ty Pilot don't leave out OccuSync......that alone is one of the best M2P features.....

I’m gonna say the camera on the M2P is better than the C23 due to, as you say, it’s a little DSLR in the sky. The ability for settings and manual control moves it ahead. Are the images better? They can be. Just point and shoot, they’re about the same, but setup ISO, Aperture, Shutter, carefully selected focus point and shoot RAW.....that little L1D-20c can take some impressive images.

I’m not dissing the C23....it’s a good camera, takes great images. The difference between the two is subtle, but definitely there.

P.S. - Mavic Air2 camera at 48MP.....LOL....not falling for Quad Bayer technology.....it’s Digital Zoom to me.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
One question the OP hasn't answered, has he made up his mind is he staying or going ?

One question the OP hasn't answered, has he made up his mind is he staying or going ?
It will take me a while to dijest all the posts and then I will see what I will do?
The evo ll sure looks good at this point in time but it is early days yet.
Cheers.
Mike

I appreciate you all sharing. My batteries for the th+ are on their last legs, and I'm debating on investing in a drone with no support and no parts but a great camera or something new... Tough choice.

What other drone would you purchase that the manufacturer is going to be any better than Yuneec?
Not sayin' Yuneec is better, no worse than others is all.

They have their pro's & con's,
All of them do,

I don't see that there's a choice to be made Mike, easier to stay cause you're already here.

Here's a cruise control deivce,

The rest of the drone I'm happy with, I think if it didn't take so much time to set up then I'd need to increase the flight time to fill the free time I have to fly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Great job, Patrick! Your videos inspire me to get out more to fly my H Plus. I am still quite unhappy with the battery life even though I follow the don't store fully charged modo. What kind of life are you getting with your H Plus? What batteries are you using?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval