Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Shutter Speed for Surveys

Reaction score
The past couple of surveys I've done have suffered motion blur. I checked the meta data and they're all at 1/30, Far too slow for a moving craft. Question is though, why is it taking them at 1/30?

A few things to note...

1. It's in auto mode
2. There's an ND filter on the camera. I would have thought that in auto mode the camera settings would have adjusted for this though.
3. The ISO varies across the images (as I would expect - to keep exposure consistent)

Any thoughts? Like I said, theres a filter on it but I would have thought the ISO would simply increase to allow a decent shutter speed. Is there a way of setting one by the way? I can't see anything myself.

Very good question, it would be interesting to know which parameters change the aircraft automatically and which parameters do not. I say this because if you put it in 16:9 format it takes the photos in 16:9 instead of 4:3 which has more resolution. Thinking about it, can it be that everything should be in automatic? The filter, if in principle it takes the images in nadir or in oblique, 45 degrees as much?, would it be necessary?

Is this survey photographic rather than video? If so, remove the ND filters. This will allow more light which will increase the shutter speed. The other factor is that for a survey, you need to take dozens or hundreds of pictures. Consider doing the survey in manual settings to prevent the automatic exposure system from creating a range of exposures that may need to be individually corrected.

Survey: Your EV at 0, ISO 100 histogram peak at middle no clippings, do not use a filter.

Mapping: Same principles, map when the sun is high or if you have a good light. Eliminate as much shadows (naturally) the sun is your friend, as well as when it’s overcast is the best, you will have a big natural softbox.

Try not to map when your pit or trenches is crowed with workers. Make things simple and follow the basic rule of photography.

Size does not matter if your shooting in a video in 4K or even extracting a photo from a video you can always crop.

The past couple of surveys I've done have suffered motion blur. I checked the meta data and they're all at 1/30, Far too slow for a moving craft. Question is though, why is it taking them at 1/30?

A few things to note...

1. It's in auto mode
2. There's an ND filter on the camera. I would have thought that in auto mode the camera settings would have adjusted for this though.
3. The ISO varies across the images (as I would expect - to keep exposure consistent)

Any thoughts? Like I said, theres a filter on it but I would have thought the ISO would simply increase to allow a decent shutter speed. Is there a way of setting one by the way? I can't see anything myself.

Dan,

Auto mode can alter any of the variables, unless we are able to either lock some of them (e.g. shutter priority).

In my experiences, the first setting to be “reduced” in a low light situation is shutter speed. Then ISO is increased if further adjustment is needed. We can’t change aperture is these cameras, as you know.

As Eagle has already stated, the ND filter should come off unless you are in a very bright (too bright) environment.

Since we cannot dial in shutter priority, we have to go full manual if we want to control shutter speed at all.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Thanks guys... all noted. I've removed the filter and it sounds like that will make all the difference. Got one planned for today so will know for sure then!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stone