Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Signal Loss

Reaction score
Verizon was planning to install a TOWER within a few hundred yards of my house. The Engineer responsible for site inspection gave me some good info I would like to pass on. I told him that I get no Cell Phone Reception at my house which borders the Ouachita Forest and is my backyard. He told me that when Verizon was installing Cell Phone Towers along highway 10 Interstate years ago, they originally thought that they had it covered from basically one end to the other, but when everything was powered up, they had huge GAPS in the reception. After researching the problem, they found out that PINE TREE leaves actually adsorb cell phone reception, therefore diminishing reception of all cell phones since they are restricted to certain frequencies. Consequently Verizon had to install more towers along the interstate.

The point I am trying to make is that Pine Trees can adsorb your radio waves from your Controller and cause loss of signal, it has happened to me which made me loose a P3S. It now rests in 100 feet of water. I was flying just above the Pine tree canopy.
So please remember that Pine Needles can interfere with your command and control of your Typhoon H, so stay well above them when flying your DRONE. Good Luck, guys.

Reactions: Gomi
Thanks for sharing. A friend of mine, a retired Motorola engineer, shared that info with me about 15 years ago. I wonder why it took so long for Verizon to learn about that. :)

P.S leaves on trees generally have quite a high content of moisture and definitely behave the same way.

Thanks for the VAlidation of my post. As you know, a small minority will call me a LIAR and bust my chops. I was told this about 8 years ago and your absolutely correct in that. Even hardwood tree leaves can interfere. normally, during the Winter Months, this loss of reception is not so bad because the leaves are gone and on the ground, except Pines.

So please remember that Pine Needles can interfere with your command and control of your Typhoon H, so stay well above them when flying your DRONE.

That's interesting. Do you think that applies if you still have a direct LoS between controller and craft ? I ask because one of my regular fly-sites has 2 large banks of pine trees flanking it and I do close fly-overs of those pretty much every time I fly there ! Haven't had any problems so far, but I am always careful to keep the craft in direct sight of the controller...

Here's the place I'm referring to...

I post this not in opposition to your info, but rather to make sure I'm not running any unnecessary risks !

That's interesting. Do you think that applies if you still have a direct LoS between controller and craft ? I ask because one of my regular fly-sites has 2 large banks of pine trees flanking it and I do close fly-overs of those pretty much every time I fly there ! Haven't had any problems so far, but I am always careful to keep the craft in direct sight of the controller...

Your doing exactly what you should be doing if you keep your Drone by Line of Sight. It is a problem if you let the Drone drop down below the canopy line, so just stay above the top of the pines of trees. You should be good to go.

Reactions: PatR and AeroJ
Thanks for the VAlidation of my post. As you know, a small minority will call me a LIAR and bust my chops. I was told this about 8 years ago and your absolutely correct in that. Even hardwood tree leaves can interfere. normally, during the Winter Months, this loss of reception is not so bad because the leaves are gone and on the ground, except Pines.

You’re certainly no liar. Those that have been flying RC a long time learned signals can get blocked. 72MHz wasn’t bad as it’s longer wavelength but when 2.4 came around we quickly learned 2.4 penetrates very few things, with buildings, trees and bushes things to stay clear of. 5.8 is even more easily blocked. Even if you have the power to go far you have to maintain clear view.

Last edited:
You’re certainly no liar. Those that have been flying RC a long time learned signals can get blocked. 72MHz wasn’t bad as it’s longer wavelength but when 2.4 came around we quickly learned 2.4 penetrates very few things, with buildings, trees and bushes things to stay clear of. 5.8 is even more easily blocked. Even if you have the power to go far you have to maintain clear view.

Really appreciate your comments and validation, I posted the original to help the New Drone Pilots and those pilots who have never flown in a forest. There are many pilots out west who do not have tall pines and trees to contend with. I hope that others will learn from us old timers when it comes to flying a Drone.

Verizon was planning to install a TOWER within a few hundred yards of my house. The Engineer responsible for site inspection gave me some good info I would like to pass on. I told him that I get no Cell Phone Reception at my house which borders the Ouachita Forest and is my backyard. He told me that when Verizon was installing Cell Phone Towers along highway 10 Interstate years ago, they originally thought that they had it covered from basically one end to the other, but when everything was powered up, they had huge GAPS in the reception. After researching the problem, they found out that PINE TREE leaves actually adsorb cell phone reception, therefore diminishing reception of all cell phones since they are restricted to certain frequencies. Consequently Verizon had to install more towers along the interstate.

The point I am trying to make is that Pine Trees can adsorb your radio waves from your Controller and cause loss of signal, it has happened to me which made me loose a P3S. It now rests in 100 feet of water. I was flying just above the Pine tree canopy.
So please remember that Pine Needles can interfere with your command and control of your Typhoon H, so stay well above them when flying your DRONE. Good Luck, guys.

Note:
Organic materials tend to absorb more RF signal than inorganic materials. Pine needles are noted for, absorbing a great deal of RF emissions because their needle length is close to 'LA wavelength of cellular signals

Reactions: rdonson
Luckily or unlucky we don't have cell masts for miles, the townsfolk have stopped all planning applications for them, they say they don't want them on health grounds, pain if you want make a call, but helps reduce interference.

Luckily or unlucky we don't have cell masts for miles, the townsfolk have stopped all planning applications for them, they say they don't want them on health grounds, pain if you want make a call, but helps reduce interference.

Attachments

• What.gif
    What.gif
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
More and more people living nearby, blame wind turbines for a variety of health problems. The symptoms vary but include sleep deprivation, anxiety, depression and increased blood pressure. Although there is no doubt that these people suffer, it is difficult to give a clear cut answer as to the cause of the symptoms.

The energy of RF waves given off by cell phone towers is not enough to break chemical bonds in DNA molecules, which is how these stronger forms of radiation may lead to cancer. A second issue has to do with wavelength. RF waves have long wavelengths, which can only be concentrated to about an inch or two in size.

More and more people living nearby, blame wind turbines for a variety of health problems. The symptoms vary but include sleep deprivation, anxiety, depression and increased blood pressure. Although there is no doubt that these people suffer, it is difficult to give a clear cut answer as to the cause of the symptoms.

The energy of RF waves given off by cell phone towers is not enough to break chemical bonds in DNA molecules, which is how these stronger forms of radiation may lead to cancer. A second issue has to do with wavelength. RF waves have long wavelengths, which can only be concentrated to about an inch or two in size.
There was a farmer who had planning application for a tower, a gang of them went to his house, they said "Are you stupid, masts kill people, if any of our children get cancer, we will blame you, we don't want technology" feeling is very strong, so a town of 4000 people and surrounding area has no cell coverage, which is ridiculous in an emergency.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy