Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

So do we have a problem? Drones that 'fly away'

I’ve seen silicone caulk/glue as an anti vibration adhesive to hold wire bundles in place and at connectors to help prevent them separating. It is sometimes used with fine wires to secure them as opposed to wire ties that can pinch and chafe.

Hi Nikono - while sometimes common, silicon rubber, superglue, epoxy, ... are used at times for strain relief of wires, to prevent vibration from breaking the wires. Often when circuit boards are made, modifications are necessary. These modifications appear as wires from point A to point B. This not only (can) happens in products like the Breeze but any electronic product.

Cold Solder Joints, as they are referred to, can still happen but are few and far between these days. Production tolerances are very tight - else many failures and the product gets a bad reputation quickly - and it's difficult for the company to recover.

I do put about 1" of heat shrink on the Breeze feet (1/2" sticking out past the foot bottom) just to cushion the landing a bit, but mainly to raise the Breeze a bot more off the ground for a better IRS reference when flying off grass.

Wonder what percentage of Breeze flyers have issues, There must be a heck off a lot of Breeze birds out there. Followed this forum since it started and see all kinds of control issues. No doubt the many versions of Android are a main contributor to the issue. I haven't seen many comments about the very real possibility of magnetic interference. My 2 year old Breeze that has flown without any issues (other than several dumb pilot errors). However, recently it went bonkers and did a lot of out of control maneuvers, which the returned to home button resolved. Curious, i went to the 'UAV Forecast' site and found that I was flying with a Kp index of 8!. several days later, with a Kp index down to 2, my bird totally resumed normal flight behavior,
Brings up the question, How much of these types of problems are really caused by unknown interference? I control with an Ipad on IOS. Noticed that the use of the controller adds just another layer of connection problems that can cause control to drop out.
Suggest that pilots check the UAV Forcast, (It's free) before flying to see what external forces could interfere with their control of the breeze.

Reactions: DoomMeister
These instances or "orbiting' sound like the classic toilet bowl. Usually caused by an issue with the compass not giving correct info to the gps. I own a Hubsan H501s and they do that crap a lot. Fortunately with the Hubsan you can switch out of gps mode, which stops the TB immediately, or even just fly in any direction really helps.

I don't know if you can turn off gps mid flight on the breeze, so if not, combined with reports of no response to the controls, you're no longer a pilot, you're a spectator.

Not a good situation.

This is 100% correct, FYI. I have a B2W Bugs2 (very similar to the Hubsan H501S) and this is a very well-known phenomenon with the RC crowd. TBE (toiler bowl effect) is the result of a messed-up compass, it goes in circles because magnetic north keeps drifting out of position for the drone. I lost my first Breeze drone while flying over a bridge, the drone began circling and crashed into the side of said bridge, destroying it. There was no compass error showing before I launched, but 100% that's what happened to it. I purchased a new Breeze because the price had dropped to $149 and trust me, there is NOTHING with better image quality available under $200 in the drone world.

The compass module sucks in this drone, or the software is glitchy and is failing to register minor compass calibration errors that are still large enough to send the drone into a spiral. Either way, with the new Breeze I re-calibrate the compass constantly, and I've never had an issue with it.

With the Breeze, pulling it out of GPS mode will stop TBE, but that's not super easy with the Breeze app. If it starts circling and you need to instantly get it to stop, your only real hope is to SCRAM the engines (double tap the header of the app in Pilot mode, or click in the control sticks in Controller mode) and hope the crash to the ground is less damaging than the crash that was going to happen when the drone circled into an obstacle.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoomMeister
This is 100% correct, FYI. I have a B2W Bugs2 (very similar to the Hubsan H501S) and this is a very well-known phenomenon with the RC crowd. TBE (toiler bowl effect) is the result of a messed-up compass, it goes in circles because magnetic north keeps drifting out of position for the drone. I lost my drone while flying over a bridge, the drone began circling and crashed into the side of said bridge, destroying it. There was no compass error showing before I launched, but 100% that's what happened to it. I purchased a new Breeze because the price had dropped to $149 and trust me, there is NOTHING with better image quality available under $200 in the drone world.

The compass module sucks in this drone, or the software is glitchy and is failing to register minor compass calibration errors that are still large enough to send the drone into a spiral. Either way, with the new Breeze I re-calibrate the compass constantly, and I've never had an issue with it.

With the Breeze, pulling it out of GPS mode will stop TBE, but that's not super easy with the Breeze app. If it starts circling and you need to instantly get it to stop, your only real hope is to SCRAM the engines (double tap the header of the app in Pilot mode, or click in the control sticks in Controller mode) and hope the crash to the ground is less damaging than the crash that was going to happen when the drone circled into an obstacle.

Knock on wood, I’ve never had an issue with my Breeze compass. I’m so impressed with this little quad. You mentioned the image quality, I’ll add the stability. This little guy is just amazing at what it can handle. It’s my go-to flyer now. So quick to get in the air (even with the extender), and just rock solid. I wish Yuneec would develop this a little farther, could be a contender with the DJI Spark.

Knock on wood, I’ve never had an issue with my Breeze compass. I’m so impressed with this little quad. You mentioned the image quality, I’ll add the stability. This little guy is just amazing at what it can handle. It’s my go-to flyer now. So quick to get in the air (even with the extender), and just rock solid. I wish Yuneec would develop this a little farther, could be a contender with the DJI Spark.

Good point on the stability, that's another thing I've simply never seen on a sub $200 drone, optical flow and IR sensors. The Breeze has both and it's super steady because of that.

I was really hoping they would add some new capabilities to the Breeze as well, like maybe extending the range with a controller a la the Spark. This drone with a 1KM+ range? It'd be fantastic. (Wouldn't care about the range going much further than that unless they somehow increased the flight time as well)

The Breeze is intended to be a 'selfie' drone - not a long range reconnaissance drone. Use it for what it's intended and you'll be happy. I started this topic because more often than not, it's a pilot issue, not a Breeze issue. So many will buy for $150 and not bother to learn how it actually works - just go out and push buttons, then report, "my Breeze ran into a tree, house, pole, flew out of sight, (fill in your issue here)...

If the Breeze cost $800 (I think the original price) it would help eliminate people that purchased just for fun - you are not going to spend $800 and not learn it first. Want more, get the Air or the Spark - but pay $1000 for the Fly More pack - so it's a simple issue; go slow, learn the functions of the Breeze and keep it for a long time, or 'think' you know how it works as we'll be reading your posts in the "Help" section soon.

The Breeze is intended to be a 'selfie' drone - not a long range reconnaissance drone. Use it for what it's intended and you'll be happy. I started this topic because more often than not, it's a pilot issue, not a Breeze issue. So many will buy for $150 and not bother to learn how it actually works - just go out and push buttons, then report, "my Breeze ran into a tree, house, pole, flew out of sight, (fill in your issue here)...

If the Breeze cost $800 (I think the original price) it would help eliminate people that purchased just for fun - you are not going to spend $800 and not learn it first. Want more, get the Air or the Spark - but pay $1000 for the Fly More pack - so it's a simple issue; go slow, learn the functions of the Breeze and keep it for a long time, or 'think' you know how it works as we'll be reading your posts in the "Help" section soon.

Very well put, and right on the money. To me the Breeze is fantastic, but I don’t ask it to do what my Phantom 3 does. It does everything except distance better than my hubsan.

Reactions: aokusman
We have no scientific studies. Some think because Yuneec may not be supporting the Breeze any longer (unsure if this is actually confirmed - as Yuneec is taking calls, but we may not see any more software updates) the assumption seems to be Yuneec knows of issues with the Breeze. Not sure I buy into that theory.

There are many unexplained posts of the Breeze flying away. We can't explain the behavior of the Breeze because we don't have enough data in most cases. For instance, someone posted they saw a "magnetic interference' warning or some such thing on their phone. They moved 10' away from that spot, and the warning was not there - so they flew and the Breeze flew away or crashed - I don't recall which. What we don't know here is if the Breeze was recalibrated AFTER the warning, and before the next flight 10' away from where the warning took place. These sorts of details are necessary to figure out if WE (all of us that fly the Breeze) have a problem. I'm just in from flying mine around and again, all went perfect. I fly sequences, forward and backwards, figure 8's, squares, square 8's and so on - rotating the Breeze 360 degrees as I fly. This teaches me to always be in control no matter what attitude the Breeze is in. I don't normally fly more than 200' away as the Breeze get's pretty small for me to see and I do not fly by the camera alone - that's just me. Others do, and that's fine.

As I read many posts I can't help but wonder if I'm next. Will I be the one posting - "my Breeze just flew away"? We have no way to get good answers unless we all post specific details of what went wrong. Did we crash before our last flight (perhaps 5 flights ago?) - possibly causing an issue. How many GPS satellites did we have locked on when we took off? Some think the IRS is the issue, but isn't the GPS the guiding factor here - once locked on, even if we lose Wi-Fi, the Breeze should self fly back to the home position.

Look, I'd just like to get answers - real answers - so WE can all see if there is a problem. DoomMeister has done some good work with flight logs - and discovered some of the log data we could use to determine if we have problems is not available. I know he's been telling Yuneec about this issue - but I don't expect answers back from Yuneec.

I don't want my Breeze to fly away someday - so all I can do is make sure I have GPS lock, 15+ satellites, all seems fine when I take off, the battery is charged - and I'm not flying near potentially large metal objects. Other than this, I don't know what else to do. So far, no issues, but many in the forum have had issues, and I'm sure competent pilots, as careful as we all are.

I know from experience intermittent failures or problems are the hardest to debug as they don't always occur. We don't know when something will cause a failure. I found myself actually thinking today, "what if I lose the Breeze, am I having enough fun with it to get another - or get another drone (DJI??) that will not have issues?" Is there such a Drone that has no issues? I bet not - so in the mean time I'll keep watching my battery voltage, calibrating my drone whenever I fly and watching for odd behavior.

Good luck to us all!
My breeze just flew away on me for the second time today the last time was a month ago and i figured it was because i was too close to the power lines. Today I was in my backyard away from any possible interference and the crash broke an arm off.! I wonder if it has to do with the update for the controller i did yesterday. All i know is Im really upset.

My breeze just took off right away as soon as it left the ground today, I didn't have any controll. The **** thing flew off, circled around and ran into a tree about 100ft away. It had nothing to do with trying to fly around the neighborhood or going on a long range recon. I have 5 other drones and I am an experienced pilot, not someone who just went out and bought this and figured i'd learn as i go. I actually read all the manuals and made sure i knew all the in's and out's before i got started. I've been flying this thing since January

"... I've been flying this thing since January"

My guess, the last hard landing on concrete might have broken something inside. Beside that, nothing was changed except the Android phone's system firmware which got updated from time to time.

My breeze just flew away on me for the second time today the last time was a month ago and i figured it was because i was too close to the power lines. Today I was in my backyard away from any possible interference and the crash broke an arm off.! I wonder if it has to do with the update for the controller i did yesterday. All i know is Im really upset.

Updating the firmware on the controller should not affect the Breeze itself. All that firmware changed was the assignment of the down direction on the d-pad to tilt the camera down.

Also take a look at post #24 in this thread, I’m seeing this type of fly off posted every couple of weeks. Doing the compass calibration while facing magnetic north seems to almost be a must. My Breeze would get squirrelly on me even after doing a compass calibration. Then a came across a thread that suggested doing the cal while facing local magnetic north. The only time I’ve had drifty erratic flight since then was when flying near a large metallic monument surrounded by concrete full of rebar.

Last edited:
A few questions come to mind. How many GPS satellites were you locked on to? Many of us, including me, forget to check this before starting to fly. I now have a note on my controller to check GPS. If your Breeze just took off and did not hover that the predetermined altitude (what was it by the way), then the GPS was not working (my guess). If the GPS was not working, I recall the height limitation of 6-8' (but I don't recall specifically). Clearly that did not happen - as it flew up high.

It's very hard to determine what happens 'when' - but develop a start up routine and ALWAYS stick with it. It's easy to forget to check satellites - but make it a habit.

I understand your frustration, and I honestly feel your pain. I am new to drones too, and I recall on my day 2, I was in the backyard, just hovering between my house and a tree - about 20' apart, but I was not going to be flying high, so I did not care. I pushed the RTH button to see what would happen (THAT WAS A KEY MISTAKE!! I should of known what would happen !!!) - the Breeze shot up, like 20', straight up, higher than my roof top - I had no idea what to do, I was helpless. It came straight back down and landed right where it took off, but it scared the crap out of me. At that point, I decided to fly in open fields and KNOW what will happen whenever I push a button.. good luck.

Flew today with 14 satellites and using the WiFi repeater recommended here. The repeater does its job as video watch smooth until I reached the geo fencing. The drone was about 60m away when I initiated RTH. It went up to the set height and stated coming back but overshot the takeoff point and was going over my roof and I had to hit the stop button and brought it down manually.

A good thing you knew where the stop button was! It seems your Breeze lost its Home position - or you moved from the original take off position. I’ll assume you did not move. Can you try the same test without the repeater? Perhaps only fly out 30 meters, then 40, then 50, not 60. Do it in the same spot you flew above. Would be interesting to know the results. Then try with the repeater again. See if you can duplicate the results.

A good thing you knew where the stop button was! It seems your Breeze lost its Home position - or you moved from the original take off position. I’ll assume you did not move. Can you try the same test without the repeater? Perhaps only fly out 30 meters, then 40, then 50, not 60. Do it in the same spot you flew above. Would be interesting to know the results. Then try with the repeater again. See if you can duplicate the results.

Before i purchased the repeater i tested the RTH function. It went up as directed and came down about 4 inches to the right of the box it took of from. The difference being in the first incident I initiated RTH when the drone was about 3 meters form the take off location, while in the second incident the breeze was about 45 meters away from the take off point.

Before i purchased the repeater i tested the RTH function. It went up as directed and came down about 4 inches to the right of the box it took of from. The difference being in the first incident I initiated RTH when the drone was about 3 meters form the take off location, while in the second incident the breeze was about 45 meters away from the take off point.

Just weighing in on this one. I've never had the repeater/extender change where the Breeze came back to using RTH. I've flown it for eight minutes at a time up to the 100 meter distance and 80 meter height geofences and it always returns within a couple of meters of takeoff point even in 15 to 20 mph winds.

Definitely glad you knew the procedure to halt the RTH!!! Since you had this happen, I would go to an open field and use the procedure Scott outlined above to test the reaction of the Breeze. The only thing I could suggest at this point is that you were getting reflected GPS signals around your house. If everything goes well in the open field, try again from your yard and see if you get the weird results again.

My breeze just took off right away as soon as it left the ground today, I didn't have any controll. The **** thing flew off, circled around and ran into a tree about 100ft away. It had nothing to do with trying to fly around the neighborhood or going on a long range recon. I have 5 other drones and I am an experienced pilot, not someone who just went out and bought this and figured i'd learn as i go. I actually read all the manuals and made sure i knew all the in's and out's before i got started. I've been flying this thing since January

Sounds like the optical sensor couldn't see the ground for some reason.

EDIT: I should have said the IRS sensor

Last edited:
Are there any issues within flying the breeze over water? intend to take it near a lake today.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss