Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Someone offered to gift me 107 training, but only from a specific vendor. Would you do it?

Reaction score
Instead of doing a paid test prep service, I was planning on just doing a self-study. I purchased Remote Pilot Test Prep 2019 and The Complete Remote Pilot as recommended to me by others. I'm also planning on watching the Tony Northrup video.

I've had someone offer to gift me this specific test prep solution.

I'm interested in feedback.

• Would you take the offer of someone paying $60 for your test prep?
  • Would you take it from this test prep place or would you instead say "Thank you for your offer to pay, but I'd rather get test prep from XYZ Test Prep (some other test prep course, such as RemotePilot101, Drone Pilot Ground School, etc), would you pay the $60 toward another service?"
  • I'll do the self-study, would you pay the $60 toward the 107 test instead?
  • Other (and what is that other).
Thank you :)

If you are offered a gift you take it and say thanks or refuse it . It would be wrong to say I don’t like this offer but how about XXX .
Strange world we live in these days [emoji848]

If it were me I would first decide which method I thought would be the best for (me) to learn and retain the knowledge necessary to operate under the 107, no outside source would change that. If I thought an online study course would be the best route I would then investigate and find the one that best suited my needs, no outside source should change that either.

If the gift could then be applied to that decision, then so be it, if not; I would thank them and decline telling them your reasoning.

If on the other hand you felt you wanted to self study (I highly recommend ;)) then tell them to put the gift towards the cost of the exam and explain; in that way they can be part of your new career as a commercially rated remote pilot.

Bottom line don't let a gift from a family or friend influence your decision making.

P.S. There is a whole section on 'decision making' in the 107 exam. ??

I would accept the gift if it was applied to a different and better course. My position is that you cannot learn just enough to pass a test, you have to learn and understand the regs, and the reasons generating the regs, in order to effectively operate now and later in our airspace system.

That system is complex and only becoming more complex and having the ability to make full use of the system, now and as it changes, will be the difference between someone that can succeed in commercial drone work and one that will soon fail. In today’s commercial market we can’t just call ourselves a commercial drone pilot, we have to act and function like one if we want to get the good paying work.

My recommendation would be to enroll in the King Schools Remote Pilot course. It teaches you how and why the systems works and fully prepares you to function as a pilot, not just how to pass a test. The course will cost you about $121.00 that now is being discounted 21% and involve 12 hours or so of online instruction but when you get done you will have the foundation needed to pass the test AND both understand the system and how to function effectively within it’s confines. Just Google Kingschools and go from there.

Reactions: Docdor
Thank you for the feedback. I will definitely look into King Schools.

I can see @Northern guy 's point. My point is that if someone offered to purchase "Car A" for you but you knew "Car B" would be a better investment, would you take the gift of "Car A" or would you explain the pros/cons and inform them that "Car B" would be a better investment and that they should take the money they were going to spend on "Car A" and put it toward the cost of "Car B."

@Ty Pilot and @PatR Your points are very valid.

I am a visual learner. Sure I can read a book and study a book, but honestly, I'm going to be bored just reading a book! That's why I'm going to view the Tony Northrup video.

I like that the King School has a money back guarantee. They will give you your money back if you fail the FAA exam. I know that some prep centers will give you your course money back as well as the $150 for the FAA exam. The King Schools also gives you lifetime access to the courses.

Drone-Registration.net

These guys are the donkey openings who take advantage of people and TRICK them into PAYING $60.00 to register your drone.....something EASILY done on the FAA DroneZone for $5.

I wouldn't take, support, endorse.....or get involved in any way whatsoever with these bottom dwelling snakes.

@Fred Garvin My dad is AMA registered and flies RC planes at an AMA authorized field. He mentioned to me the other day something about being required to re-register. I hope he didn't fall for this:

(screen shot of "Drone-Registration.net")

I think....and I’m not100% on this but perhaps someone does know and can confirm/clarify.....that the owner must register the aircraft, and part of that is setting up an account at Drone Zone.....if so, how can these “registration services” actually register the drone? Thought I read once where the FAA was advising people who used these services to get in touch with the FAA because the registrations were not valid.

I hope your dad didn’t fall for it. I worry constantly about my 80yo mother falling for some scam......

BTW, I do (and don’t, really) apologize for the word “a**holes” in my post. I thought the filters would catch it....but maybe the filters are smart enough to approve it when it actually applies.....

BTW, I do (and don’t, really) apologize for the word “a**holes” in my post. I thought the filters would catch it....but maybe the filters are smart enough to approve it when it actually applies.....

Not to worry. I am not offended. I understand how it was intended. :)

And I thought the same about the FAA requiring you to register directly with them.

Reactions: Fred Garvin
In this case that word was fitting. The first time I encountered someone on this forum talking about paying 60 buck for registration I couldn't believe it. I can't stand people who take advantage of a subject and/or process that may be confusing for some; only to make a buck they did not earn and do not deserve.

I don’t have any first hand knowledge of either, but I can say that King Schools has a good reputation in the aviation community.

I would caution you on Drone Launch Academy....I don’t have first hand experience, but one of their “students” failed the test twice and came here blaming the test. Proceed with caution if considering them.

I can't imagine how anyone could be better than Remote Pilot 101 for instruction, it is broken down so clearly and concisely in videos. It has tests you can take to check your progress and it is always very current with regard to taking original test and recurrent test. Those tested offer their feedback to the award winning pilot trainer who teaches conventional and sUAS so they've got most current best informed information. IMHO

King Schools is highly visual, with easy to understand audio, while also providing text content along with links for additional learning and reference resources. If you can’t get what you need out of a King course you just need to take shorter naps[emoji6]

Reactions: NorWiscPilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nubestpremiumsupplements