Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST10+ firmware on ST16

Reaction score
I have been playing around with an ST16 controller I picked up for 40 bucks. I don't currently own a Typhoon H bird and am not sure if I will buy one. I do own two Q500 birdies that I fly often. I wanted to know if anyone has ever tried to flash ST10+ firmware to the ST16 controller? It seems that Yuneec doesn't want to use a universal type controller for all their drones and has left the ST16 behind with the H. I do know the ST16 will bind with my Q500 drones but the video quality is not good. I am just trying to find a use for this ST16 controller since it is a very nice piece of equipment.

If I am wasting my time with all of this, could someone with more experience help me with some suggestions? What to use this ST16 for?

My wife says I waste too much time with my old man toys.

You don't have to add any firmware. The Q500 is already in the ST16.
Create a new model, bind the Q500 to it, and you will see that the "Motor error" emblem near the upper right corner changes from a Typhoon H hex symbol to a Q500 Quad symbol.
The problem is the video. Video from a CGo3 will have a lot of "artifacts" when viewed on screen. I got some improvement by upgrading the CG03 firmware to CGo3+ firmware, but it was not perfect. The only way I got good video was actually change out the camera board (not WIFI board, not the lens sensor board) with a CG03+ camera board.
The advanced flying features, such as CCC will not work on the Q500.

See this thread for more information. Especially the summary in Post 20.
Post 21 shows a little bit about changing out the camera board.
Looking to mess up a perfectly good ST16.

PS: For those wondering about using the ST16 to fly a BLADE CHROMA. No. It will not work on a Chroma.

Reactions: WernerJB
After reading both of your posts I was left wondering why someone would want to “de-rate” a 16 channel controller for a 10 channel aircraft? The -16 is larger and heavier than an ST-10 and the extra 6 channels in the -16 could not provide any additional functionality to a 10 channel system lacking corresponding programming functions.

I can understand experimenting to see what might happen but ultimately it would end up falling short of hopes and expectations. Or am I missing something?

If you flash the the ST16 with ST10+ firmware it will be bricked and you have nothing.
It's no problem to use the ST16 to control the Q500 as said above.

The bad video quality is caused by CGO3. ST16 expects 720p video downlink as used by CGO3+ but gets only 480p from CGO3. This caused the artifacts. ST16 is not good and not intended for to resize the video stream.

ST10+ expects 480p and gets it from CGO3. But ST10+ is not able to show the 720p video stream from CGO3+.

br HE

Or am I missing something?
Yes. Personal preference. Some folks would rather only use one controller to fly all their aircraft. It's the whole idea behind "models" in the controllers. I also prefer the screen on the ST-16, although that is not fully functional using a cgo3 unless you do the rather impractical mod to change out the camera board. I did the mod. So I use the ST16 to fly all my Q500, TH Units.

Reactions: WernerJB
Also the Blade 350QX with a SR24 receiver can be controlled by ST16. The ST16 sends constantly error messages but you can control it if you are stress resistent ;-). Should the same with Chroma.

Yes. Personal preference. Some folks would rather only use one controller to fly all their aircraft.

Now that I can relate to. When I build my own stuff I prefer to employ a high channel count transmitter and employ various receivers in different aircraft to allow use on the one transmitter.

The problem with consumer drones is that manufacturers seem to go out of their way to prevent use of a single transmitter for different aircraft. Each new model will have at least one thing installed that requires use of a marginally different transmitter. Then again, if manufacturers were to allow a common transmitter across their model lines they would not be able to charge as much for each new model...

Reactions: WTFDproject
Change of plans. I got a really good deal on some Typhoon H parts. I am planning on building this thing and using the ST16 with it. I am looking for a few more parts if anyone has anything they want to part with let me know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelNiece