Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST16 pro with a Typhoon H pro

Reaction score
Hi,
Just a quick question.
I have a Typhoon H that I added the realsense module to and also added the 3rd Antenna. I am wanting to get a spare ST16 unit for a back up.
Can I use an ST16 pro, or would that only work with later versions of the Typhoon H?
Thanks,
Alan

Any versions of the standard ST-16 (ST-16 'pro' included) will work with any version of the standard Typhoon H (Typhoon H 'Pro' included). The word 'Pro' merely indicated a few antenna mods as well as a packaging difference - the 'Pro' came with two batteries and a wizard. The flight software is the same throughout these models.

The words 'Pro' and 'Plus' are the confusing point by Yuneec - but must be differentiated.

The Typhoon H 'Plus' can only be controlled the ST-16S due to a totally different flight software and the ST-16S cannot control ANY standard Typhoon H or Typhoon H 'Pro' - and thus the ST-16 'Pro' does NOT work with the Typhoon H Plus.

I wish Yuneec had not made this so confusing but - there it is. ;)

Last edited:
Any versions of the standard ST-16 (ST-16 'pro' included) will work with any version of the standard Typhoon H (Typhoon H 'Pro' included). The word 'Pro' merely indicated a few antenna mods as well as a packaging difference - the 'Pro' came with two batteries and a wizard. The flight software is the same throughout these models.

The words 'Pro' and 'Plus' are the confusing point by Yuneec - but must be differentiated.

The Typhoon H 'Plus' can only be controlled the ST-16S due to a totally different flight software and the ST-16S cannot control ANY standard Typhoon H or Typhoon H 'Pro' - and thus the ST-16 'Pro' does NOT work with the Typhoon H Plus.

I wish Yuneec had not made this so confusing but - there it is. ;)
Thanks for that.
Sometimes it gets a little confusing (well for me anyway), because I have read certain posts that made it sound like once Yuneec got passed a certain model Typhoon H, the ST16 changed and then newer ones couldn't retro actively be backdated/used to control older models like the Typhoon H. I had thought the only difference seemed to be the 3 antenna's vs the 2. But I wanted to be sure that it would work with my H before I threw $100 or so out there to buy something. :)

H480 series (CGO3+ camera)
Typhoon H w/ ST16 (2 external antennas)
Typhoon H Pro w/ RealSense & ST16+ (3 external antennas)

H520 series
Typhoon H Plus w/ ST16S & RealSense C23 camera
Typhoon H520 w/ ST16S no NFZ stock E90 and E50 cameras
Typhoon H3 w/ ST16S L1 Ion camera

Just to inform that Yuneec, on the latest versions of their Typhoon H Pro (CG03+ camera, 480, without realsense) provides the ST16 + with 3 external antennas.
That's the model I have, I bought it second hand, but was pretty new because it was a warranty replacement due to a crash caused by a faulty battery occurred to the previous owner.
Production date of my bird is March 2019.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seachange01
Well I just got a PM from @WTFDproject in regards to the topic of using an ST-16 with a Plus and/or an ST16S with a 480. Apparently, if you install the correct firmware into they will work with either model, but it does require the switching of the programming! I had never heard of this but it seems some have had success at it - good to know.

Hi there,

glad having found this forum! New here but not new to drone flying - quick intro - made my way starting with toy drones, then going "pro" adding Quanum Nova (2 x), Quanum Aperture (2 x) as well as 2 x P3-Advanced and one P4... spotted a good deal for a brand new H480 Standard (or "Basic"... whatever it is called these days) last year and added it to my inventory ;-)

I really love Hexas, hence I was really glad adding the H480 to my other "heavy" Hexas (the Quanum Aperture (aka ideaFly Storm 800) is a 800 size Hexa).

Now, due to lack of time, weather and overall pandemic impact I haven't been able to fly that bird, yet therefore targeted to buy stuff/spares to be "prepared". I got a Realsense, few GiFi power extra batteries and last week got an excellent deal on a ST16S on e**y.

Reading the thread here makes me feel positive that I can use the ST16 S on my old H480? I really like the new look & feel of the updated S/W on the ST16 S but guess - after reading the thread and others - the shiny S/W would need to go away in order to have it run with the H480?

Any more details would be highly appreciated - as to overall steps of binding it with the H480 or if any S/W hacks need to be installed...

Looking forward for your replies.

Thanks,

Andreas

Hi there,

glad having found this forum! New here but not new to drone flying - quick intro - made my way starting with toy drones, then going "pro" adding Quanum Nova (2 x), Quanum Aperture (2 x) as well as 2 x P3-Advanced and one P4... spotted a good deal for a brand new H480 Standard (or "Basic"... whatever it is called these days) last year and added it to my inventory ;-)

I really love Hexas, hence I was really glad adding the H480 to my other "heavy" Hexas (the Quanum Aperture (aka ideaFly Storm 800) is a 800 size Hexa).

Now, due to lack of time, weather and overall pandemic impact I haven't been able to fly that bird, yet therefore targeted to buy stuff/spares to be "prepared". I got a Realsense, few GiFi power extra batteries and last week got an excellent deal on a ST16S on e**y.

Reading the thread here makes me feel positive that I can use the ST16 S on my old H480? I really like the new look & feel of the updated S/W on the ST16 S but guess - after reading the thread and others - the shiny S/W would need to go away in order to have it run with the H480?

Any more details would be highly appreciated - as to overall steps of binding it with the H480 or if any S/W hacks need to be installed...

Looking forward for your replies.

Thanks,

Andreas
I think @WTFDproject has experience with this. I think all you need to do is apply the ST16 firmware found here EU Firmware

I would advise waiting until he confirms my statements.

I thought I had already posted an attachment for that. I just looked. I guess not.
The process is the same as converting an HPlus ST16S to an H3 ST16S. You can follow the process in the existing Attachment 32 (ST16S HPlus to H3 Conversion) of the PDF document attached to Way To Fix Drones project. The screenshots will differ a little from those posted, and you will need the ST16 firmware instead of the H3 firmware currently linked in the document. Use this link instead of the one at Step 10. ST16S to ST16 conversion firmware

Note this firmware originated from the US webpage. I believe the controller files are the same for EU and US, but I am not certain. @Steve Carr, @DoomMeister or some others may be able to comment on that.

Take a look at the document. If you don't feel comfortable making the interpretations on the fly, let me know. I will try to find time in the next few days to create an enclosure specifically with ST16S as the original firmware and ST16 as the destination firmware. And create an EU link if that proves to be necessary.

Last edited:
I thought I had already posted an attachment for that. I just looked. I guess not.
The process is the same as converting an HPlus ST16S to an H3 ST16S. You can follow the process in the existing Attachment 32 (ST16S HPlus to H3 Conversion) of the PDF document attached to Way To Fix Drones project. The screenshots will differ a little from those posted, and you will need the ST16 firmware instead of the H3 firmware currently linked in the document. Use this link instead of the one at Step 10. ST16S to ST16 conversion firmware

Note this firmware originated from the US webpage. I believe the controller files are the same for EU and US, but I am not certain. @Steve Carr, @DoomMeister or some others may be able to comment on that.

Take a look at the document. If you don't feel comfortable making the interpretations on the fly, let me know. I will try to find time in the next few days to create an enclosure specifically with ST16S as the original firmware and ST16 as the destination firmware. And create an EU link if that proves to be necessary.
I think the only files that differ are for the cameras between the North American and EU versions of the firmware. It is all about the WiFi power levels and transmission protocol.

Yes, that's right. All files in the FW of remote controller and drone are the same except the camera file inside the drone FW.
Example:
Drone FW: "TyphoonH_Ver3.04_E.bin" contains a file "cgo3+gb_3.2.34_LC2_A_firmware_30235.bin". This is the only one that is specific for EU (CE rules). All othe are the same.

You can extract the camera file or unpack all FW files even when it is password protected using the YTH Firmware Tool.
Download here:

br HE

Last edited:
Reactions: DoomMeister
Hi all,

thanks a lot for the numerous swift feedback, much appreciated! I do however have a few issues in getting the right understanding...

The firmware tool extracts the CGO3+ camera file - clear as I understand this is the differentiator to get it connected as the Plus and H520 are carrying different cameras.

My question mark is about where to put this file now - my aim is to keep the complete (Datapilot etc.) GUI S/W on the ST16S - can I merge the CGO3+ bin file into that firmware of the ST16S replacing whatever is in there and that's all what is required?

I didn't find a STS16S firmware file for download on the Yuneec support pages, the format apparently changed over the original ST16?

The current firmware I have on the ST16S I got from e**y is apparently for the 520 where I can select the E50, CGOET, C23 cameras only.

tia & br,

Andreas

The camera FW file is for the camera, not for the remote controller. You cannot use it for the ST16 in any way.

My answer belongs to the question what is different between the FCC and the CE version. The main point here is: Nothing for the ST16 software.

But if you want to transform a ST16S to a ST16 this is another thing. I do not know a way to have both, shiny H Plus related SW on the ST16 and control to H480/CGO3+.

br HE

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval