Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST16S change firmware to work with H3?

Reaction score
Can anyone help? I've seen posts about this, but have a specific question. I have an H3 and I have an opportunity to buy an additional ST16S that I would like to use as a second controller for the camera. The ST16S' firmware is not for the H3. Can I get the firmware on the ST16S changed to work with the H3?

Many thanks,
SasleoSam

Installing the H3 firmware and app on the controller will be the same method as installing the H Plus. Follow the instructions in this video. There are 4 files to download in the link below rather than 3 mentioned in the video.
Prior to resetting the controller, format an sd card as Fat32. Use a 4, 8 or 16 GB card. Copy the files to the card.

Thanks so much for the reply. So, just to be clear, following these instructions will take an ST16S initially purchased with an H520 and make it compatible with an H3?

Reactions: Steve Carr
Installing the H3 firmware and app on the controller will be the same method as installing the H Plus. Follow the instructions in this video. There are 4 files to download in the link below rather than 3 mentioned in the video.
Prior to resetting the controller, format an sd card as Fat32. Use a 4, 8 or 16 GB card. Copy the files to the card.

Thanx for a good video it worked fine :)

Now just need to find a way to use the newly updated controller in team mode..

Reactions: Steve Carr
I exercised also a firmware reset on my ST16S for my H3. The install process as described in the video above ran without problem, including software update. After that I could operate the camera of the H3 (pan & tilt, receive life video from the camera on the screen of the ST16S, taking pictures with the camera which were stored on the camera's SD card). After shutting down H3 and ST16S and powering again, the ST16S doesn't connect anymore to the camera. The installed firmware versions are only displayed for the ST16S, the Drone firmware versions are displayed as N/A. Nevertheless Pan & Tilt functions are working, but no pictures are transmitted to the ST16S screen. After powering up the H3 the gimbal directs the camera immediately properly straight forward, camera control light flashes for about 1 second in red, then changes to slow blinking in orange-yellow, and after a minute changes to solid green, sometimes interrupted by some green blinking.

When inspecting the WiFi connection I detected an authentication problem with the device IONL1P_7200CE. When I click to "connect", the message below the device name toggels several times between "authenticating <-> saved, secured with WPA2" and finally goes to "authentication problem".

I assume, that the camera WiFi password changed during the reinstallation process, and hence the standard password 123...890 became invalid. When the camera searching process is running, I'm sometimes requested to enter the camera password. When confirming the password 123...890, a red triangle with an exclamation mark appears for less than a 1/4 second, obviously reporting a wrong password. When I further scroll down the ST16S screen, the hint is given to reset the camera WiFi password to the original factory setting by pressing the camera reset button. However the presented sketch denoting the reset button doesn't match with the Leica camera. The Leica has 2 tiny unnamed holes leading to 2 micro switches. No function is specified.

Does anybody know something about the purpose of these 2 micro switches, and which one is the reset button?

many thx in advance for any help.

Attachments

• Firmware_versions.jpg
    Firmware_versions.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 20
  • AuthenticationProblem.jpg
    AuthenticationProblem.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Searching_camera.jpg
    Searching_camera.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Reset-WiFi_password.jpg
    Reset-WiFi_password.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Leica-IONL1P-Micro-Switches.jpg
    Leica-IONL1P-Micro-Switches.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 20
Invert the H3 for a moment. All of the motor LED's will flash light green. Turn it back over and set it down. Then try to bind again.

If that doesn't work, go to the Android menu, Settings and Wifi. Select each wifi in the list and then select "Forget" if that is an option shown.

Invert the H3 for a moment. All of the motor LED's will flash light green. Turn it back over and set it down. Then try to bind again.

If that doesn't work, go to the Android menu, Settings and Wifi. Select each wifi in the list and then select "Forget" if that is an option shown.
Hi Steve,
according to your hint, I concentrated myself on the WiFi authorization. As "Forget" and entering a new password on the WiFi level of the Android system were of no success, it turned out that the problem must be inside the camera. Even copying a wireless.conf file with the standard password on to the SD card didn't help. The next step was testing the reaction of the camera's micro switches.

In a 1st step I pressed the red marked switch (see attached picture) with the result, that the H3 required 2 times pressing the poweron button until the lamps of the H3 lighted up. But the camera control lamp now remained dark. So the function of this switch is unknown.

In a 2nd step I pressed the green marked switch and the camera's control lamp blinked orange and then green. In the flight app of the ST16S I was requested to enter the standard camera password 123...890. The app reacted with the message "WiFi link connected" and the camera's picture was transmitted to the screen of the ST16S.

I switched off and on the H3 several times and had no more problems connecting the camera. Even after formatting the SD card via the flight app and powering off and on the H3 the camera was operating properly.

Attachments

• Leica-Reset.jpg
    Leica-Reset.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Reset-WiFi_password.jpg
    Reset-WiFi_password.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 23
The two buttons probably function in the same manner as other Yuneec cameras. So pressing one of those buttons may have reset the wifi connection and helped clear the problem.

The reason to "Forget" wifi connections in the Android menu is to prevent the controller from connecting to a router rather than the camera. This has been a problem on the H520. The controller looks for a previously connected router rather than the camera and delays the camera connection. If the controller does connect to a router it will not connect to the camera on the 5.8GHz wifi.

I'm glad you were able to find a solution.

Camera reset buttons.jpg 1633367233855.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval