Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Taking off from Helipad (flying with Compass magnetic Interference)

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just want to share with you a recent unusual experience. Nothing bad happened, but I found it worth sharing:
This did not end up in a crash or anything, so don't expect a picture of a totaled Typhoon H ;)

A few weeks ago I had the chance to perform an amazing flight: I was asked to capture aerial footage of a 17-story corporate buliding near the center of Mexico city, with full clearance to take off straight from the helipad of the building! :D

Basically everything went well; unfortunately on that particular day the pollution levels on the city were pretty high, so the view was considerably affected..

The 1st flight went without any issue (all these flights were under GPS mode by the way) however, for the remaining flights I got a persistent warning message that went along the lines of: "Warning: Compass Electromagnetic interference, fly away from electromagnetic source". Although I cannot remember the message verbatim I did made sure it was not the more common "Compass calibration warning, land in angle-mode immediately!"

I did land right after the first warning and performed a compass calibration, but I kept getting the interference warning right after take-off. Since this was not the regular compass calibration warning I decided to go ahead and continue the work, with my alert level at max, and the screen ready to go into Manual flight if neccessary.

A few things I noticed during this session:
  • Warnings were only when flying close to the building, once I got away warnings stopped showing.
  • Small drifts and twitches when close to the building (most noticeable during take-off and landing), no loss of control, just small quirks.
Anyway, as I mentioned the flight went generally well but I did had to raise up my alert levels to the max, specially when getting close to the building. I tried to keep my mind cool in case something didn't go as expected, such as during the last landing in which I decided to abort and proceeded to hand-catch.

I believe the culprit for these warnings and their symptoms was the fact that the helipad was right next to the building's Telecoms dishes, around 26 of them actually..

captura1.png

As some of you know, noticing these drifts and twitches can be very hard from the camera's point of view, however I did manage to catch one of those twitches and also the backwards drift on the last landing pretty clear:

I went ahead to the Telemetry data to see how this compass electromagnetic interference was logged, but it was simply logged as a (32) compass calib. warning.. Oh well..

Screenshot-Display-files-1.png

It was pretty unnerving getting this interference warning and experiencing it's effects for the first time, but luckily the certainty of knowing the aircraft's behaviour after a couple of years of practice has paid off.. The last thing I wanted was to panic and crash the H infront of the building staff and other people actually recording me while flying the H. (I do have insurance, but that's beyond the point)

Needless to say I got some great shots, from an area where not a lot of people are allowed to fly. Obviously I am not allowed to share the whole footage but I got permission to use a few low-res images :D

captura2-800.png

Anyway I thought this would be a nice experience to share with all of you fellow Typhoon H operators. (and to brag a little bit too hehe!)

Have you ever got this "Compass Electromagnetic interference" warning?

Greetings!

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
JTOO, post: 157569, member: 4147"]Hello everyone, I just want to share with you a recent unusual experience. Nothing bad happened, but I found it worth sharing:
This did not end up in a crash or anything, so don't expect a picture of a totaled Typhoon H ;)

A few weeks ago I had the chance to perform an amazing flight: I was asked to capture aerial footage of a 17-story corporate buliding near the center of Mexico city, with full clearance to take off straight from the helipad of the building! :D

Basically everything went well; unfortunately on that particular day the pollution levels on the city were pretty high, so the view was considerably affected..

The 1st flight went without any issue (all these flights were under GPS mode by the way) however, for the remaining flights I got a persistent warning message that went along the lines of: "Warning: Compass Electromagnetic interference, fly away from electromagnetic source". Although I cannot remember the message verbatim I did made sure it was not the more common "Compass calibration warning, land in angle-mode immediately!"

I did land right after the first warning and performed a compass calibration, but I kept getting the interference warning right after take-off. Since this was not the regular compass calibration warning I decided to go ahead and continue the work, with my alert level at max, and the screen ready to go into Manual flight if neccessary.

• Warnings were only when flying close to the building, once I got away warnings stopped showing.
  • Small drifts and twitches when close to the building (most noticeable during take-off and landing), no loss of control, just small quirks.
Anyway, as I mentioned the flight went generally well but I did had to raise up my alert levels to the max, specially when getting close to the building. I tried to keep my mind cool in case something didn't go as expected, such as during the last landing in which I decided to abort and proceeded to hand-catch.

I believe the culprit for these warnings and their symptoms was the fact that the helipad was right next to the building's Telecoms dishes, around 26 of them actually..

captura1.png

As some of you know, noticing these drifts and twitches can be very hard from the camera's point of view, however I did manage to catch one of those twitches and also the backwards drift on the last landing pretty clear:

I went ahead to the Telemetry data to see how this compass electromagnetic interference was logged, but it was simply logged as a (32) compass calib. warning.. Oh well..

It was pretty unnerving getting this interference warning and experiencing it's effects for the first time, but luckily the certainty of knowing the aircraft's behaviour after a couple of years of practice has paid off.. The last thing I wanted was to panic and crash the H infront of the building staff and other people actually recording me while flying the H. (I do have insurance, but that's beyond the point)

Needless to say I got some great shots, from an area where not a lot of people are allowed to fly. Obviously I am not allowed to share the whole footage but I got permission to use a few low-res images :D

captura2-800.png

Anyway I thought this would be a nice experience to share with all of you fellow Typhoon H operators. (and to brag a little bit too hehe!)

I may have gotten that message once
but I tapped the screen really qqu

Have you ever got this "Compass Electromagnetic interference" warning

Greetings!
[/QUOTE]
Hi
Hello everyone, I just want to share with you a recent unusual experience. Nothing bad happened, but I found it worth sharing:

captura1.png

captura2-800.png

Greetings!
Thank you Jules I have had that warning come up once and I tapped on the screen to get rid of it then I immediately brought the Drone home.
I looked around the area to see what may have caused it and I now know certain things you do not fly around.
Keith Kuhn

There are two messages in as compass warnings:
<string name="str_compass_warning_info_sky">Please land in Angle Mode immediately, then do compass calibration.</string>
<string name="str_compass_warning_info_ground">Keep away from magnetic interference, or do compass calibration.</string>
I interpret this as the first one during flight time and the second is related to start/landing point.

I'm pretty sure that the telecommunication antennas are the source of the compass warnings.

br HE

Reactions: JulesTEO
There are two messages in as compass warnings:
<string name="str_compass_warning_info_sky">Please land in Angle Mode immediately, then do compass calibration.</string>
<string name="str_compass_warning_info_ground">Keep away from magnetic interference, or do compass calibration.</string>
I interpret this as the first one during flight time and the second is related to start/landing point.

I'm pretty sure that the telecommunication antennas are the source of the compass warnings.

br HE

Ahh that's the one, the second one I mean.

I have never seen it before; I just kept getting the second message before and after take-off (my mind deceived me into reading electromagnetic, but I was too busy focusing on the aircraft at the moment hehe) I wonder why I kept getting the one labeled "ground" while on the air..

Thanks for the clarification of what the message actually said!

captura1.png

captura2-800.png

Greetings!

just so you know, the MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) machines in many cities/hospitals form such a huge magnetic cloud disturbance even to commercial Airline Jets, that they have to map and use routes to avoid them !

sorry if this is redundant to thread but did not read it all past your post.

so if they have the issue from quite a bit higher, why should you NOT have compass and interference ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval