Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Taking off from sand dunes

Reaction score
I might be visiting the Silver Lake Dunes this Spring and I'd luv to shoot some footage of this scenic area. I've ridden my bike down the dunes and I recall sand getting everywhere. I'm think this might be an issue as the props would be kicking up sand. Has anyone ever flown from such an area?

Reactions: cbphoto2006
I regularly fly from beaches and dunes. A good sized landing mat or similar is essential to keep the sand at bay. I also have a 3mx3m plastic picnic sheet I use for landing and take off as it also has some tent peg loops to keep it fastened down. Or if you feel comfortable hand catching can help when landing.

Once sand gets into motors or gimbal, it is something of a living nightmare to get it out again, so like everyone else I would suggest avoiding it by only taking off from a landing pad, and hand-catching at the end of the flight.

Take some canned air with you. Double check your motors post flight by hand turning. The biggest enemy is small bits of iron in the dirt or debris that stick to the motor magnets. Hand catch if you are comfortable doing it.

Reactions: John Hennessy
Avoid using compressed air to clean anything inside the fuselage. Compressed air can create static charges that can destroy sensitive electrical components.

Last edited:
Reactions: cbphoto2006
Avoid using compressed air to clean anything inside the fuselage. Compressed air can create static charges that can destroy sensitive electrical components.
Hi PatR,
There you go that is one thing that I didn't know. Already started learning something new for 2019. Thanks PatR you are a bank of knowledge for all of us. And Happy and Healty New Year. Johnno Hennessy

I’m going to call over cautious on this one. I own very sensitive equipment on every level and compressed air is not a problem. If it was, no electronic store would sell it. We use it routinely on many electronics that are sensitive to static discharge but I’m going to say consumer drones are not one of them. I suppose if I open up the shell and go for the FLC chip or GPS after crossing a carpet on a dry day but that’s not the case here. This information contradicts the threads on maintaining your ST. Just saying...

I’m going to call over cautious on this one. I own very sensitive equipment on every level and compressed air is not a problem. If it was, no electronic store would sell it. We use it routinely on many electronics that are sensitive to static discharge but I’m going to say consumer drones are not one of them. I suppose if I open up the shell and go for the FLC chip or GPS after crossing a carpet on a dry day but that’s not the case here. This information contradicts the threads on maintaining your ST. Just saying...
Got you CraigCam,
I can see it from both points and I like the proceed with caution for all. And they do tell you to clean the st16 with compressed air. The main thing is that we have to think before using our equipment in an aggressive environment as it is very sensitive to very small particles.
Johnno Hennessy.

As someone who lives in a sandy climate, it has been very helpful to learn to hand launch and retrieve. It is NOT something I would advise a new flyer to do and one must fully understand what to expect and the correct procedure but it sure makes getting into rough areas a lot simpler when you can't always use a landing pad

Take some canned air with you. Double check your motors post flight by hand turning. The biggest enemy is small bits of iron in the dirt or debris that stick to the motor magnets. Hand catch if you are comfortable doing it.
Photo blower bulb might help, never runs out of air.

Got you CraigCam,
I can see it from both points and I like the proceed with caution for all. And they do tell you to clean the st16 with compressed air. The main thing is that we have to think before using our equipment in an aggressive environment as it is very sensitive to very small particles.
Johnno Hennessy.

If you have and use an ESD bench appropriately compressed air is fine. Without one the risk can be high. Each can do some research and decide for themselves the path they want to take.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop