Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Tell me I am not interpreting this correctly for Wisconsin Drone rules

Reaction score
Just found this page about Wisconsin drone rules and I am hoping that the line I highlighted is not complete by omission in mentioning that obtaining a FAA part 107 license will allow commercial endeavors with my drone:

Wisconsin Drone Rules:
  • Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible.
  • Fly within visual line of sight.
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations, and you must see and avoid other aircraft and obstacles at all times.
  • Do not fly near emergency response efforts, like fires.
  • Do not fly for payment or commercial purpose.
  • Do not fly over groups of people.
  • Do not fly in adverse weather conditions such as in high winds or reduced visibility.
  • Do not fly under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Do not fly over stadiums and sports events.
  • Do not be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft.
  • It is illegal to take photos or record videos of people on private property.
  • Do not use a drone to gather, store or collect evidence of any type.
  • Do not fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property.
  • Do not fly near or over sensitive infrastructures such as power stations, water treatment facilities, correctional facilities, heavily traveled roadways, government facilities, etc.
  • Contact the airport or control tower before flying within five miles of an airport.
I was really looking forward to using my (FAA registered of course) drone for side money in the future. I will do some checking on my own but for now has anyone determined if Wisconsin is prohibiting commercial drone usage regardless of having the FAA 107 certification?

Just found this page about Wisconsin drone rules and I am hoping that the line I highlighted is not complete by omission in mentioning that obtaining a FAA part 107 license will allow commercial endeavors with my drone:

Wisconsin Drone Rules:
  • Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible.
  • Fly within visual line of sight.
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations, and you must see and avoid other aircraft and obstacles at all times.
  • Do not fly near emergency response efforts, like fires.
  • Do not fly for payment or commercial purpose.
  • Do not fly over groups of people.
  • Do not fly in adverse weather conditions such as in high winds or reduced visibility.
  • Do not fly under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Do not fly over stadiums and sports events.
  • Do not be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft.
  • It is illegal to take photos or record videos of people on private property.
  • Do not use a drone to gather, store or collect evidence of any type.
  • Do not fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property.
  • Do not fly near or over sensitive infrastructures such as power stations, water treatment facilities, correctional facilities, heavily traveled roadways, government facilities, etc.
  • Contact the airport or control tower before flying within five miles of an airport.
I was really looking forward to using my (FAA registered of course) drone for side money in the future. I will do some checking on my own but for now has anyone determined if Wisconsin is prohibiting commercial drone usage regardless of having the FAA 107 certification?
Looks like those rules are aimed at hobby flyers without part 107. Your part 107 will invoke different rules which will allow for paid work.

Reactions: Riktar
Yeah that's how I read it also. As a hobbyist you cannot fly for payment or commercial purposes. That would change with your Part 107, therefore it would be allowed.

Thanks for the link to SB196 page!

Interesting read. Especially the reference to spacecraft and the astronauts who control them. Time to see where I can get my own RC spacecraft. Good luck with maintaining LOS on that..... ;-)

A note in this and legislation, I'd highly recommend people find out when the next FAAsT (FAA safety Team is an educational branch of the FAA) meeting in their area is and attend. Last Wednesday I went to the FAA event regarding safety and drones and met with the local FAA reps and also lectures by both commercial and recreational flyers along with a presentation from Chris Johnson the president of the Wisconsin UAS Advisory board.
Wisconsin Aviation hosted the event. They are having a similar event in Antigo later this spring, I'd advise all to register with the FAA "FAAsT" site as they have these events often and all around the country. Lots of people and any questions can be answered then you may have. Very enjoyable! The website is here for registering and info
Resources - About the FAASTeam - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov

Last edited:
A note in this and legislation, I'd highly recommend people find out when the next FAAsT (FAA safety Team is an educational branch of the FAA) meeting in their area is and attend. Last Wednesday I went to the FAA event regarding safety and drones and met with the local FAA reps and also lectures by both commercial and recreational flyers along with a presentation from Chris Johnson the president of the Wisconsin UAS Advisory board.
Wisconsin Aviation hosted the event. They are having a similar event in Antigo later this spring, I'd advise all to register with the FAA "FAAsT" site as they have these events often and all around the country. Lots of people and any questions can be answered then you may have. Very enjoyable! The website is here for registering and info
Resources - About the FAASTeam - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov

Anyone wanting info on WUAB (Wisconsin UAS Advisory Board )
Just pm me. Tried to place the Facebook page as a URL and it came out as junk.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval