Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Terminal Velocity of a Typhoon H?

R G

Reaction score
If you understand the flight log below, then you know this didn't end well. Started out as a casual flight in my backyard. It climbed with the throttle stick held low until it didn't have enough authority to hold it's position and drifted away. I believe the altitude is in meters. Waiting for the Men in Black to knock on my door...

ScreenshotQuick_analysis_1.png

The last image before it's final death twitch.

Capture.JPG

RG

• Sad
Reactions: WTFDproject
Sounds like a Stuck Throttle Pot, another excellent reason to check the Hardware Monitor before each Flight.
That is still Earth in the Photo, right?........;)
I take it that it did a Freefall from the Clouds.
How Bad is the Damage?
How far from the Take-off Point did it Land?

I think the flight controller had an aneurism, the motors glitched and it just started climbing. It was still climbing during the second low battery alarm and then lost radio contact. Time will tell if somebody finds it and gives me a call. Not new to the H, this one had over 300 uneventful flights, until today. The ST16 is fine, checked the hardware monitor during the post mortem and used it to fly my Q500 after the incident.

RG

@R G
Wow! What an absolute bummer. Definitely sorry for your loss.

Would you mind posting the Telemetry, Remote, and RemoteGPS from that flight. You can copy them to a folder and zip them and post the zip file using the Attach Files button. I’m very curious to see what the interplay of all the info holds.

Reactions: WTFDproject
Sorry to hear, but thats an awesome shot up in the clouds. Although as john stated doin a check in the hardware monitor before flyin, i cant seem to get into the habit of that, but have always tested the sticks right after take off just above my head like 6', yea I'm short. I guess you could say its my version of hardware management ?

This is no throttle stick problem. Potis are working good - CH0 indicates that. It looks like a flight controller problem (altimeter, IMU - both on the MCU board). Strange, this is the first time I have heard from such an behavior. Another idea is a defect of the RealSense which may send wrong information to the FC.

Hopefully nobody was hurt.

With a click on the lat/lon column header you can see how far it was gone.

br HE

Reactions: DoomMeister
This is no throttle stick problem. Potis are working good - CH0 indicates that. It looks like a flight controller problem (altimeter, IMU - both on the MCU board). Strange, this is the first time I have heard from such an behavior. Another idea is a defect of the RealSense which may send wrong information to the FC.

Hopefully nobody was hurt.

With a click on the lat/lon column header you can see how far it was gone.

br HE
I agree that the throttle appears to be working properly. Just curious if anything else would give a clue to the mishap. Odd that there was no loiter on loss of signal and then an RTH.

Sorry to hear...
Time will tell if somebody finds it and gives me a call.
When I first got my H Plus ( about 4+ years ago). I started reading about the fly aways. Since my H plus kit cost me approx. $1700.00 I decided to spend and extra $200.00 on a Trackimo GPS tracker. I don't fly without it. Yeah it's might seem expensive to buy...but it is priceless if you need it. You can attach it to anything not just a drone. Here's what I bought.

I think the flight controller had an aneurism, the motors glitched and it just started climbing. It was still climbing during the second low battery alarm and then lost radio contact. Time will tell if somebody finds it and gives me a call. Not new to the H, this one had over 300 uneventful flights, until today. The ST16 is fine, checked the hardware monitor during the post mortem and used it to fly my Q500 after the incident.

RG
Agreed, the software had to have completely jumped the rails, there numerous processes going on that the core just stopped servicing.. IE: height limit, battery warnings, RTH etc.
There was a reason NASA always had quad redundancy, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't enough as almost every time they flew manual at some point.
Without a watchdog on the controller it can go nuts and do what ever it wants, when ever it wants.
Its the reason I have never flown my drone anywhere near civilization.
One of my first flights with the H it decided to wander off and ignore the controller, it only wandered about 20 feet, but I was very aware at that point in time that I was not in control of the drone. Seconds later it started behaving and has never done it since... but what I learned in those few seconds is never, never, never ever trust a drone. It will and can go completely off the rails at any time and there isn't anything you can do to stop it. I have actually considered just installed a radio operated kill switch on the power circuit as a precaution. I just find it safer never to fly around anything that will care about a drone dropping in.

If it goes only up and drift with the wind it should be possible to find it (or the impact crater) using FlightLog. If you are willing to post the 3files for flight logs 311 we can check for possible reasons for the fly-away if there are any visible.

br HE

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech