Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Test flight gone bad Flight Log

Reaction score
Test flight today with a new battery and recent issues. After hovering for a short period of time the drone started to appear off balance then took off into a pine tree. Here's the flight log.

Attachments

• FlightLog2[1].zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 8
I will take a look tomorrow evening.

In the meantime take a look at the sticks in the Hardware Monitor to make sure they follow movements both swift and slow, and fully return to center.

Reactions: MACDrone
Test flight today with a new battery and recent issues. After hovering for a short period of time the drone started to appear off balance then took off into a pine tree. Here's the flight log.
This is a snapshot of the flight. There was a LOT of heavy stick activity just before the contact with the tree, but not enough review yet to speculate if that was spontaneous controller signal or if it was you trying to avoid the crash. Right now, these are just pretty pictures on a graph. The red box is around the crash sequence:
Flight log.jpg
First question: The logs imply you were already in "Smart Mode" when you powered up and went to "Smart Mode-Follow Me" flight mode right about take-off time. Did you do that on purpose? How close to the drone were you standing at lift off? Did you start moving around with the controller about the time things started going bad? Especially important; How far away from the drone were you when things went bad, and were you moving towards the drone?

Last edited:
Second observation: It looks like the drone started significant movement BEFORE stick movement. Possibly indicates the drone was reacting to a change in it's estimated proximity to the controller (the "Safe Circle"). The theoretical minimum distance allowed is about 30ft, but two GPS signals, each with questionable accuracy, causes a LOT of variation of how close the safe circle is in real distance.
But right now, this is a good time to stop speculating and wait for your comments about relative locations, what position your flight mode switch was in, and some comments from more advanced reviewers.

Last edited:
The drone went to follow-me mode and starts moving because it tries to follow the ST16. The GPS of the ST16 is bad and it looks like it is moving no matter if you really moved or not. The virtual position of the ST16 is the thin black line in the picture.
track00020.jpg
Flying smart mode between trees is a very bad idea. If you want to do so, please make sure that both, ST16 and drone have very good GPS position. You must wait a little bit longer and look at the "distance" values that shall not move fast. But however, I would not use Smart mode in this area at all.

Second observation: It looks like the drone started significant movement BEFORE stick movement. Possibly indicates the drone was reacting to a change in it's estimated proximity to the controller (the "Safe Circle"). The theoretical minimum distance allowed is about 30ft, but two GPS signals, each with questionable accuracy, causes a LOT of variation of how close the safe circle is in real distance.
But right now, this is a good time to stop speculating and wait for your comments about relative locations, what position your flight mode switch was in, and some comments from more advanced reviewers.
This is what happened to my Q500 sometime ago, fortunately got to land it safely and had to replace on prop

This is a snapshot of the flight. There was a LOT of heavy stick activity just before the contact with the tree, but not enough review yet to speculate if that was spontaneous controller signal or if it was you trying to avoid the crash. Right now, these are just pretty pictures on a graph. The red box is around the crash sequence:
View attachment 30307
First question: The logs imply you were already in "Smart Mode" when you powered up and went to "Smart Mode-Follow Me" flight mode right about take-off time. Did you do that on purpose? How close to the drone were you standing at lift off? Did you start moving around with the controller about the time things started going bad? Especially important; How far away from the drone were you when things went bad, and were you moving towards the drone?
I was switching between modes to show a friend before take off and I did take off from Smart mode and I was way too close to the drone. Heavy stick movement was definitely me trying to avoid the tree. I was nowhere near 30 feet not even 20 feet away from the drone. After reading all the comments this might all just be operator error
But it's just strange to me because I have taken off plenty of times in the past with this one nowhere near 30 ft from myself and God only knows what mode I was in. I've just never seen it react the way it did yesterday because I'm sure I've made these errors plenty of other times without seeing the reaction I did yesterday but maybe I just got lucky then. Thankfully I have more and I have a parts drone so I'm going to go outside and do test flight with another one after doing a little research on what modes to start off in just in case I don't see a response before I fly and for personal knowledge.

The drone went to follow-me mode and starts moving because it tries to follow the ST16. The GPS of the ST16 is bad and it looks like it is moving no matter if you really moved or not. The virtual position of the ST16 is the thin black line in the picture.
View attachment 30308
Flying smart mode between trees is a very bad idea. If you want to do so, please make sure that both, ST16 and drone have very good GPS position. You must wait a little bit longer and look at the "distance" values that shall not move fast. But however, I would not use Smart mode in this area at all.
Is that for my flight yesterday? Because there was a test flight the other day where I did walk through them trees and it did successfully follow me but yesterday I was stationary nowhere and never walked the path of that black line with the st16 in my hand

This is what happened to my Q500 sometime ago, fortunately got to land it safely and had to replace on prop
Unfortunately I did not get to land. But thank God at least it came down it wasn't stuck in the tree but the fall broke a lot that's for sure

IMG_20240310_101232.jpgIMG_20240310_101258.jpgIMG_20240310_230501.jpgCurrently working on repair. I took a different typhoon h pro and st16 out today for a flight and everything went smoothly.

In regards to the statement of possibly having a bad GPS in the st16 I am going to use that st16 and do a test flight using an altered typhoon h, I have a hj550 frame with all the internals from a typhoon h so if things do go bad that will take a better hit then risking another Typhoon h.

Reactions: NWSaint
Is that for my flight yesterday? Because there was a test flight the other day where I did walk through them trees and it did successfully follow me but yesterday I was stationary nowhere and never walked the path of that black line with the st16 in my hand
Yes, that was from flight 00020 (2024-03-09) which gone wrong. All flights before didn't have Follow-Me mode:
00015 (2024-03-06): Camera-Tracking and Angle
00001 (2024-03-06): Smart mode (no flight) - IMU problems (temperatur drift?, longer storage before?)

The black track represents the inaccuracy/uncertainty of the ST16 GPS. This may disturb the Follow-Me because it depends on ST16 GPS in cooperation with drone GPS. Better to stay away from Smart modes between trees.

I would do an accelerometer calibration. This is easy and may prevent stability problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy