Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Testing my repaired RealSense Typhoon H

R

Rayray

I have 2 H's, the RS Pro and a Standard H. I received the Pro on July 18, one of the first batches released in the US. I flew it so much I named it Wendy, made several videos in Follow and Watch modes, with the craft piloting itself around or over trees, etc. Never a moment's trouble, before and after updates.

The first weekend of October, preoccupied with camera settings, in Angle Mode with the OA off I was looking into early morning sun, not paying attention. Bringing the H back toward me fast, I saw it just as it headed toward a large oak tree and I panicked, pushed the right stick the wrong way. It hit a leafy limb and fell right onto a metal pipe fence. Even as it hit I turned the motors off. One leg broke off, camera broke off, but the doggone props were fine. Worst of all, the RealSense module was damaged, housing bent.

Thanks to forum member Brandon Lowe, who encouraged me to fix the leg and camera, I became a mechanic and did that for 30 bucks of parts. Flew Wendy a couple days, no problems. IPS even still worked, but RealSense did not.

I called Yuneec, told them straight out I crashed her, got the RA and sent Wendy to CA. She arrived there Oct 13. i got her back Friday, flown now 6 batteries worth. Cost me a sawbuck plus 44 to ship. I went through channels, I don't know any VP's or how to ask for special treatment.

Wendy works like before, if anything the RealSense seems better, spotting big obstructions, trees, 30' away instead of maybe 15'. You know this when the ST-16 begins to "ping".

Items that may interest members:
On takeoff, when GPS is locked on the ST-16, (more than 12) the purple light comes on steady. Only after the ST-16 has more than 7 or 8 GPS Sats does the white light begin to flash with the solid purple. I repeated this a number of times to be sure. When you hit the red button and spin the props, the altitude zeros. Used for no control except max height limit.

GPS on and off and back on at different spots smooth, except for the idiot screen warning, which you kill with the goback button. If GPS is off and you hit RTH nothing happens. I saw that question somewhere. GPS off turns RealSense off. The IPS is always on, not on a switch. It will keep you above ground if you try to land with the legs up.
Note: because of updates, your findings may be different from some of mine.

Reactions: horizontal
Good report Ray. My Pro should soon be on its way back soon. Or I should say "some Pro" as I suspect it was too far destroyed to repair after its fly-a-way. I will hear from Yuneec this week I'm guessing.

I'm like you with a Pro and a standard model. I was afraid to fly the standard one after the latest firmware update, but the techs assured me that the regular one would be fine. I had done the upgrades at the same time. Test flying it the other day fell in line with what they assured me. It flew flawlessly.

There is a member here who does not post much, but has a world of knowledge and common sense.
Take a look at his recent messages. I wish I was half as wise.

Graeme Mears

I have 2 H's, the RS Pro and a Standard H. I received the Pro on July 18, one of the first batches released in the US. I flew it so much I named it Wendy, made several videos in Follow and Watch modes, with the craft piloting itself around or over trees, etc. Never a moment's trouble, before and after updates.

The first weekend of October, preoccupied with camera settings, in Angle Mode with the OA off I was looking into early morning sun, not paying attention. Bringing the H back toward me fast, I saw it just as it headed toward a large oak tree and I panicked, pushed the right stick the wrong way. It hit a leafy limb and fell right onto a metal pipe fence. Even as it hit I turned the motors off. One leg broke off, camera broke off, but the doggone props were fine. Worst of all, the RealSense module was damaged, housing bent.

Thanks to forum member Brandon Lowe, who encouraged me to fix the leg and camera, I became a mechanic and did that for 30 bucks of parts. Flew Wendy a couple days, no problems. IPS even still worked, but RealSense did not.

I called Yuneec, told them straight out I crashed her, got the RA and sent Wendy to CA. She arrived there Oct 13. i got her back Friday, flown now 6 batteries worth. Cost me a sawbuck plus 44 to ship. I went through channels, I don't know any VP's or how to ask for special treatment.

Wendy works like before, if anything the RealSense seems better, spotting big obstructions, trees, 30' away instead of maybe 15'. You know this when the ST-16 begins to "ping".

Items that may interest members: On takeoff, when GPS is locked on the ST-16, (more than 12) the purple light comes on steady. Only after the ST-16 has more than 7 or 8 GPS Sats does the white light begin to flash with the solid purple. I repeated this a number of times to be sure. When you hit the red button and spin the props, the altitude zeros. Used for no control except max height limit.

GPS on and off and back on at different spots smooth, except for the idiot screen warning, which you kill with the goback button. If GPS is off and you hit RTH nothing happens. I saw that question somewhere. GPS off turns RealSense off. The IPS is always on, not on a switch. It will keep you above ground if you try to land with the legs up.
Note: because of updates, your findings may be different from some of mine.

I am new at this but in angle mode on the way back I thought real sense should have seen the tree and avoided it. Even if OA was off as long as you were in say a 12 mph window?

I am new at this but in angle mode on the way back I thought real sense should have seen the tree and avoided it. Even if OA was off as long as you were in say a 12 mph window?

Hi, Chip.
The RealSense (OA) was turned off. So if you are flying in Angle mode, for it to work the switch must be on, AND the craft must face direction of travel. I was concentrating on the camera and had never turned RealSense on. Cotton-picking tree just jumped out in front of it.:eek:

Hi, Chip.
The RealSense (OA) was turned off. So if you are flying in Angle mode, for it to work the switch must be on, AND the craft must face direction of travel. I was concentrating on the camera and had never turned RealSense on. Cotton-picking tree just jumped out in front of it.:eek:
HMM I thought that OA applied to the sonar on the front. And that Realsense (front, along with IPS, bottom, was active in angle and smart modes, under 12 mph.) After a firmware update the :real sense module might become unchecked in the Other Settings, otherwise it should be checked, and active. So this is an important point, i'm concerned if it's not true. Thanks for your quick reply.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech