Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Tethering a typhoon H question

I'd build one for everyone if I could stomach charging a 2000% premium over what the components cost ;)

I thought more about this. They likely step up the voltage so as to utilize a smaller gauge wire, then step it back down again in the sUAS. I've just almost doubled the price for the components. $300 worth of parts, with the massager option ;)

We can easily compute a rough idea of current draw with an aftermarket battery.
1. Fly the H for, say, 15 minutes with a fully charged battery.
2. Recharge the battery with a charger that tells you how many amp-hours or milliamp-hours was required for a full charge. My 10 year old HiTech charger gives this reading, I imagine most newer ones do as well.
3. Multiply this reading by 4 (or 60/the flight time in minutes you flew)
This would be the average instantaneous amperage draw during flight.
At least I think it would - my brain is mush right now from dealing with mundane problems at work.

I'd build one for everyone if I could stomach charging a 2000% premium over what the components cost ;)

I thought more about this. They likely step up the voltage so as to utilize a smaller gauge wire, then step it back down again in the sUAS. I've just almost doubled the price for the components. $300 worth of parts, with the massager option ;)

We can easily compute a rough idea of current draw with an aftermarket battery.
1. Fly the H for, say, 15 minutes with a fully charged battery.
2. Recharge the battery with a charger that tells you how many amp-hours or milliamp-hours was required for a full charge. My 10 year old HiTech charger gives this reading, I imagine most newer ones do as well.
3. Multiply this reading by 4 (or 60/the flight time in minutes you flew)
This would be the average instantaneous amperage draw during flight.
At least I think it would - my brain is mush right now from dealing with mundane problems at work.
Are u in Florida?

No. A little bit North of there.

So does anyone know how many amps the H draws at hover and climb?

Shooting from the hip here with my math, but I had a flight that was literally take off, climb to 100' and hover until I got the low battery alarm. 22 minutes on the H doing this. So for sake of easy math, lets make some assumptions:

Takeoff used no additional power (or a nominal amount)
5500 mAh were consumed on that battery (I unfortunatly didn't have a proper charger at the time, so I couldn't monitor this)

So based on those numbers, 15 amps will power the H full time. (60 minutes/22 minutes *5.5 Ah)

Shooting from the hip here with my math, but I had a flight that was literally take off, climb to 100' and hover until I got the low battery alarm. 22 minutes on the H doing this. So for sake of easy math, lets make some assumptions:

Takeoff used no additional power (or a nominal amount)
5500 mAh were consumed on that battery (I unfortunatly didn't have a proper charger at the time, so I couldn't monitor this)

So based on those numbers, 15 amps will power the H full time. (60 minutes/22 minutes *5.5 Ah)
That's about what I calculated also.

You'd have to use a charger that calculates exactly how much power was returned to the battery. You can't go by the Ah rating of the pack, as that's specified for a different discharge voltage. Even when we do this, there will still be some amount of error, since some of the energy put back into the pack is wasted as heat. I'd say it's safe to assume around 90-95% charge efficiency with the lower the charge rate, the higher the efficiency.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval