Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

The DJI Mavic is pure WOW

People will be willing to give up some camera quality for the extra convenience of carrying in a small bag or hand. Why would you think the Mavic should have all the pros of the P4 in a reduced size and price? DJI may have horrible customer service, but not a stupid company to make their breads and butter Phantom obsolete.
You can put lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig. No way to put a positive spin on this. What is the point of having 4K resolution if the lens can't resolve 1080 quality. The GoPro Hero 5 black is way better.I hope this is just a bad copy or perhaps needs refocusing like some of the early Typhoon H cameras. If this is really the quality you can expect from the Mavic, then a lot of those who just sold their P4 to buy it are going to be really pissed.

Video quality update. Turns out the camera on the Mavic is not fixed focus like the Phantom. The initial beta testers did not know that so the cameras were focused on the ground. Wait until you see the new videos, already posted on some other sites, showing the quality after focus was properly set. It is more than good enough for all of my needs and I think many of you who pre-purchased like me will be happy.

Reactions: dirkclod
You can put lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig. No way to put a positive spin on this. What is the point of having 4K resolution if the lens can't resolve 1080 quality. The GoPro Hero 5 black is way better.I hope this is just a bad copy or perhaps needs refocusing like some of the early Typhoon H cameras. If this is really the quality you can expect from the Mavic, then a lot of those who just sold their P4 to buy it are going to be really pissed.

Guess only time will tell ;)

Glad it wasn't an issue. I'm in the queue for a Mavic. Not being a photographer, I think my H, Inspire, and Phantom 4 all take great videos and pictures. I can only tell a difference between them when view the "images" side by side at the same location taken at about the same time of day. If I just view them independently they all look great. The good thing is we have the ability to adjust the image quality on the bird and then with post-production...

Sure, unfocused images aren't good and I wouldn't want that.

Reactions: Dariusmixich
I really wanted this one from DJi to be the one. Unfortunately the prop comes in the shot and camera has the characteristics of the Yuneec early 4K cameras ( soft, blury, crap, ... ).
It has all the characteristics of racer quads rather than " camera " quads. Too Bad !

As started above apparently you have to tap the screen to focus the camera just like you would to set exposure on Phantoms. Camera when correctly focused by user is as good or better than P4 so this is good news for people who are wanting to buy the Mavic. The camera is also f2.2 compared to phantom 4 f2.8.
I really wanted this one from DJi to be the one. Unfortunately the prop comes in the shot and camera has the characteristics of the Yuneec early 4K cameras ( soft, blury, crap, ... ).
It has all the characteristics of racer quads rather than " camera " quads. Too Bad !

As started above apparently you have to tap the screen to focus the camera just like you would to set exposure on Phantoms. Camera when correctly focused by user is as good or better than P4 so this is good news for people who are wanting to buy the Mavic. The camera is also f2.2 compared to phantom 4 f2.8.

That's good news but I have to wait and see ... . Any solutions for props getting in the shot ?
I was all engines " Go " for three Q+ as Unhappy vs Happy discussions about the H-Pro remains inconclusive here. At this point Yuneec has reduced themselves to a good thing that didn't last long enough to grow better.
So, for me it's either GoPro's Karma or DJi's Mavic. If only DJi had not tarnished their reputation with these nonsensical horrible customer service stints.

All said, if Yuneec come clean and make an effort to clarify some of their ridiculous behaviour in customer service and honestly explain the issues with their hardware and quality control, I still prefer the H series even with out dated and sub par camera quality.

Props in shot is very annoying and just ruins what could've been a great shot. The H, Inspire, and gopro are better unless you want to fly very slow. I downloaded raw files for the dji x5 camera and played around with them in Lightroom and really wasn't that impressed. They were better than x3 but not by much. I have some work that requires good stills shot straight down coming up so I was going to mount an old Canon T2i that's been sitting around with a 50mm to the H but the shutter is stuck!
I've suspended a 3 axis hand held cellphone gimbal with my Samsung 7 attached and that worked pretty good. The H lifted it no problem.

Props are not in the shot unless flying in sport mode. After they learned how to focus the shots are as good as the P4. Many reasons to buy it. The only downside might be reliability or the issue use may have on the folding pieces. Camera looks pretty similar to P4 just a different FOV.

I see the point about the " potential " structural fail points around those folding arms. On the other hand, I prefer the FOV of the Mavic. In fact my bone with GoPro Karma is the fact that it's too wide for anything but landscape.
Thank you for the assurances about the Mavic's camera. Now let's see if DJi is going to rebuild the customer service as well the same way. Are you reading this Yuneec !?

I see the point about the " potential " structural fail points around those folding arms. On the other hand, I prefer the FOV of the Mavic. Now let's see if DJi is going to rebuild the customer service as well the same way. Are you reading this Yuneec !?
Well I will let you know if they fail... I ordered one. ;)

I got out from under my Problematic H Pro just in time.... and am going with the Mavic. The latest video quality clips are astoundingly good.

I LOVE the idea of a compact drone with all of the features of a Phantom

Reactions: Mike_Flys
The latest video clips KILL anything that Yuneec has.
I'm sure your are hinting at Mavic and it's video quality. At this point Mavic's camera should be compared to GoPro's Karma as they are both about the same age in technology. There are a few area's with Mavic that " non-Fanboys " are pausing on and asking hard questions about the Mavic. The soft image issue had started a big stink around the web and now with the late clarification about the " focusability " of lens comes the possibilities of " missing shots " to silly focus pulling while flying! LOL Not all advancements are needed. Some are just market hype that eventually will die on the vine. Then comes the advantage of removable camera stabilizer that comes with GoPro's Karma ( cough ... ehem and Yuneec !). And we are talking about GoPro's flagship Hero5. And again one may need to work in the price of a " smart device " to work the controller of the Mavic with all the risks involved. My wife made it clear already " we are not going to risk a $500 iPhone " to fly a toy ! "
Also some early testers are indicating the articulated arms of Mavic stated showing signs of fatigue already after just a few days of packing and unpacking. Well that flaw would be quite possible for the Karma too.

So, Mavic has some hard questions to answer after all this party noise quiet down.

At this point, if Yuneec announce or even promise an updated camera to compete with Hero5 and sort out the hardware issues properly and exercise some transparency about their customer service, I would prefer to stay with Yuneec. I may get a foldable quad later just as another tool in the trunk ( most likely Karma ) but I prefer to go to work with tools and not toys. I hope yuneec is listning

I'm sure your are hinting at Mavic and it's video quality. At this point Mavic's camera should be compared to GoPro's Karma as they are both about the same age in technology. There are a few area's with Mavic that " non-Fanboys " are pausing on and asking hard questions about the Mavic. The soft image issue had started a big stink around the web and now with the late clarification about the " focusability " of lens comes the possibilities of " missing shots " to silly focus pulling while flying! LOL Not all advancements are needed. Some are just market hype that eventually will die on the vine. Then comes the advantage of removable camera stabilizer that comes with GoPro's Karma ( cough ... ehem and Yuneec !). And we are talking about GoPro's flagship Hero5. And again one may need to work in the price of a " smart device " to work the controller of the Mavic with all the risks involved. My wife made it clear already " we are not going to risk a $500 iPhone " to fly a toy ! "
Also some early testers are indicating the articulated arms of Mavic stated showing signs of fatigue already after just a few days of packing and unpacking. Well that flaw would be quite possible for the Karma too.

So, Mavic has some hard questions to answer after all this party noise quiet down.

At this point, if Yuneec announce or even promise an updated camera to compete with Hero5 and sort out the hardware issues properly and exercise some transparency about their customer service, I would prefer to stay with Yuneec. I may get a foldable quad later just as another tool in the trunk ( most likely Karma ) but I prefer to go to work with tools and not toys. I hope yuneec is listning

With all due respect, you seem to live in a different world. The reviews for the Mavic have been overwhelmingly positive and actually becoming even more positive as time goes by, with reviewers clarifying some of the earlier concerns.
Also, what is it with so many trying to argue the downside of using a phone app to fly a drone. This is the way technology works - seems to me Yuneec is appealing to the baby boomers, whereas DJI is appealing to the Millenials.

Reactions: DerStig

Keep wearing those Yuneec blinders. DJI just rewrote the segment with the Mavic

With the the kind of exhilarating non-negotiable affinity @Dariusmixich and @DerStig is presenting towards their favourite non Yuneec product, it begs the question: " what the heck they are doing here in Yuneec flyers forum, wasting their precious time on " BabyBoomers sporting Yuneec blinders " like me !? Go live in the all happy DJi land! LOL

BTW, if you had bothered to read, I made my return to idea of purchasing the Yuneec products conditional. Again, at this point if I have to purchase a foldable quad it would be a " flying Hero5 with FREE hand held camera gimbal, a system that doesn't need to risk my $500 phone ( to run the phone app ) to operate. More importantly Karma has superior design in that props don't come in the shot and camera focus doesn't require special attention. And, I am just hoping that the Karma's articulating joints aren't as bad as what the reports are about Mavic's arms becoming unruly and freewheely to the point testers had to hold them in place with gaffer tapes while testing them in remote areas. Perhaps that will be fixed on the final release units and for sure the next versions. Also it's said that by the time release DJi may have a controller model ready with built in touch screen ( like Karma ) for extra money. What a wast though, because all Dji flyers will hate that ". All n All not a bad machine but far from the the usual fanboys' fanfare.

in case you don't like to read a block of text:
- Karma's GoPro Hero5 - 4K is removable ( I don't like the ultra wide though ) ( I always wished Yuneec had inline-GoPro for the camera )
- Karma gives you a FREE near perfect Gimbal that goes onto a universe of GoPro mounts ( Yuneec does that too, sans univers )
- Karma's controller has a built in screen ( I can barely afford one smart phone a year )
- Karma is a GoPro with the legendary customer support ( reading this Yuneec !? )
- Karma is ok in flying but awesome in image capture. Quality Image is what I'm looking for in a flying machine ( reading this Yuneec !? )
- Karma land is full of happy polite citizens ( gorgeous looking surfers, crazy Cliff jumpers, crazier mountain bikers ... they help you to forget the pains and geriatrics meds )
- Karma is not a DJi and I know only this one is good enough for many.

C'mmon guys this suppose to be fun/job.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ploomy