Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

The"H" file format and codex.

Reaction score
I am usually good at researching and finding answers using media. As a new owner of a Typhoon H and also a user of Final Cut For X I wanted to find out in what form the CG03 saves files to. After reading through the users manual and exhausting every youtube clip on the subject I could find no answer. Maybe I simply missed it? I scheduled a call to Yuneec support in California and I was told the files were saved in MP4 using a H.264 codex. I was glad to hear this as it means I can import clips directly to FCPX without having to convert them.
The Typhoon H is presented as an "advanced" drone, not a toy for kids. If so why not provide information for exporting files to a computer editing program. I'm sure many other drone owners plan to use their drone in a professional context and want to be able to integrate their arial clips into other video projects using an editing program. I have written to Yuneec and suggested they include a section of the users manual to explain file transfer methods and giving CG03 specs including format and codex information. Now on to flying and getting some great vids.

The mp4 file format and the .264 codex are widely used in many cameras.
Have you downloaded the user created manual from the H How-to section?

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Everything in the OP’s post can be obtained from a simple review of an image or video properties file. Seems there was a whole lot of effort expended when very little was needed.

The Typhoon H is presented as an "advanced" drone, not a toy for kids. If so why not provide information for exporting files to a computer editing program. I'm sure many other drone owners plan to use their drone in a professional context and want to be able to integrate their arial clips into other video projects using an editing program. I have written to Yuneec and suggested they include a section of the users manual to explain file transfer methods and giving CG03 specs including format and codex information. Now on to flying and getting some great vids.

Knowing how to work with various video files and transfer methods (to me) is more a post production subject and not one that needs to be covered by the manufacturer of a given camera platform. I know of no cameras, Video, DSLR or other, that give specifics about how to do file transfers. They show you where the media storage is and the rest is up to you. I suspect they figure if it is for advanced users that have experience, those things will be already known ;)

That said, I agree the manuals should have more detail in the specifications section and in fact, before Yuneec removed the Typhoon from their lineup (US website) it did contain a full camera specifications list that is pretty standard for cameras. You can look at any of the other drones and see the full lists of that system's particular camera.

Reactions: PatR and Steve Carr
Thank you all for your replies. Yes, it was simpler than I thought. I did look at some other cameras and found the information there. I haven't shot video yet with my new drone. It just arrived so was not able to look at the file properties which would have answered my question. I will look at the H "How to" section. In retrospect I shouldn't have been concerned. Ty Pilot is right about it being more of a "post production subject" nevertheless I think it would be a plus to include a rudimentary file transfer section in the video camera manuals.

Not to be a chit, but anyone that doesn’t have a grasp of copy or cut and paste might be in over their head.

... I haven't shot video yet with my new drone...
To preempt your next possible question after you have recorded something. Be aware that your video files will appear as 5 minute segments. There is nothing wrong with that. The files will seamlessly stitch together when you import them in to your editor.

I look forward to seeing an edited video from you. Don't fall into the trap of making a video too long. Upload to youtube or similar then post a link in the appropriate section of this forum :)

Reactions: rdonson
Thanks again for the constructive advice from many members. Pat R,I assure you I know how to cut and paste. If you find my questions dumb I am sorry. I'm a new guy to the forum and admit there are some things "over my head". Please feel free to ignore my future posts.

Just remember the phrase ”paralysis through analysis” to avoid experiencing it again.

OK, PatR I will. I like the mantra. I received my H this afternoon and set it up on my dining room table and checked out the different settings.
I turned on the ST16 controller and then the drone. Very exciting to see the all functions working. The only repair I'll need to make it replacing the Object Avoidance switch which had snapped off by the previous owner. It is still operative using a small screw phillips driver.
I placed ot on my patio and activated the props. I was very tempted to raise it up but not enough safe space. I will need to buy a mico SD card and better battery charger.

Would these be good choices? Scandisk 128 micro SD card Extreme V30 and a EV-Peak DY3 2-battery charger. The Venom product costs more and I've read some complaints.

Appreciate all your comments and input.

There have been numerous posts referencing minor issues with the Peak charger. Usually with dirty electrical contacts. My thoughts are if we are going to buy an after market charger there’s no sense in buying one with known issues. Buy a good charger just once and use the heck out of it, with few worries about failure. For that reason I prefer the Hitec brand of chargers. They always work and they last for years. Good tools often cost a little more.

There have been numerous posts referencing minor issues with the Peak charger. Usually with dirty electrical contacts. My thoughts are if we are going to buy an after market charger there’s no sense in buying one with known issues. Buy a good charger just once and use the heck out of it, with few worries about failure. For that reason I prefer the Hitec brand of chargers. They always work and they last for years. Good tools often cost a little more.
If you shop around the Hitec/ Sky Rc type chargers are the same or even less than the EV Peak.

Remember to always stop any recording BEFORE powering down the aircraft!

If you you forget the above, power up the H, start a video (short is fine), stop the recording. The previous video file “may” close properly, allowing for viewing. Not foolproof, but sometimes works.

The above does not work with the H520/E50 combo. Haven’t “heard” if E90 or C23 are in the same boat.

Jeff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval